Apple memo reveals 29 leakers caught last year, urges staff to stop leaking confidential i...

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    NotsofastNotsofast Posts: 450member
    Please quit calling this a "leak."  And, no there's nothing ironic about the memo "leaking."  When Apple sends a memo to 80K employees they obviously have no belief that it would be kept confidential.  Indeed, the nature of this memo is clearly designed to be spread far and wide to publicize the potential harsh, including criminal, penalties that folks who leak are facing. 
    edited April 2018 watto_cobrabeowulfschmidtavon b7
  • Reply 42 of 48
    FranculesFrancules Posts: 122member
    No leak policy. 🖖
  • Reply 43 of 48
    ireland said:

The digital forensics of Global Security, used by Apple for its investigations, also discovered the identities of several employees feeding confidential data about the iPhone X, iPad Pro, and AirPods to a blogger at one Apple-focused online publication. Global Security is also credited as working with suppliers to "prevent theft of Apple's intellectual property" as well as leakers, improving security with the third-party firms to "meet or exceed Apple's expectations."

Was it you?  I expect it's somewhat stressful knowing that you sources are putting their careers and livelihoods in your hands.
    Gruber or Gurman.
    I doubt Gruber would put his livelihood on the line like that - he literally makes his living through his Apple- focused blog. But, one never knows.

It's more likely to be Gurman.
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 48
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    ireland said:

The digital forensics of Global Security, used by Apple for its investigations, also discovered the identities of several employees feeding confidential data about the iPhone X, iPad Pro, and AirPods to a blogger at one Apple-focused online publication. Global Security is also credited as working with suppliers to "prevent theft of Apple's intellectual property" as well as leakers, improving security with the third-party firms to "meet or exceed Apple's expectations."

Was it you?  I expect it's somewhat stressful knowing that you sources are putting their careers and livelihoods in your hands.
    Gruber or Gurman.
    I doubt Gruber would put his livelihood on the line like that - he literally makes his living through his Apple- focused blog. But, one never knows.

Replied to above: Gurman and 9to5mac.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 48
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    ireland said:

Gruber or Gurman.

Plus Gruber didn’t have/publish any special info about the X or AirPods. He speculated and guessed wrong on some name
    guesses.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 48
    hentaiboy said:
    Meanwhile in Tim Cook’s office...

Tim Cook: So have you caught the f**ker who leaked the 🦄  emoji to MacRumors yet?
    Global Security: Yes Sir. 2 hours of waterboarding and she came clean. 
    TC: Sweet. Now let’s fire her ass.
    GS: Actually Sir, we got Immigration involved and they’re deporting her back to India. 
    TC: Oh...isn’t that a little heavy handed?
    GS: Definately not Sir. If these leaks get into Samsung’s hands, Apple is doomed!
    TC: Good point! Keep up the great work. 
    GS: Ah...there’s just one more thing Sir...
    TC: Yes?
    GS: She’ll be leaving a 3 year old child behind who has US citizenship.
    TC: Right! When that kid grows up they will never work in this industry. Never I tell you!!!

What the fuck was all that about?
    sphericwatto_cobraSpamSandwich
  • Reply 47 of 48
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    I have no doubt that Apple has used canary traps from time to time to catch some of its employees with leaky dispositions. I'd like to see more firings made public. I wonder if HR can legally say, when asked for references, that an employee was fired for leaking intel, if that employee hasn't been criminally charged. Of course there's the 'you didn't hear this from me' gambit.

Its also a near certainty that Apple seeds some information from time to time to specific, select reporters, journalists, and even bloggers when it suits their purpose. And those reports must know when it's a 'leak' and when it's a leak.

My money, too, says that Apple wanted that memo out there to tell everyone they know, etc., that it's time to STFU. I'm glad do see them doing this.

As far as analysts are concerned, I'd bet that some of them are making at least some of their analyses on leaked information, and not just trying to interpret various market metrics. This routinely affects AAPL stock, even if the 'analyses' are based on rumor. (Of course, sometimes it just base stock manipulation.)

So anybody violating their NDA should not only be fired, but face civil and  criminal consequences for doing so. Losing their job isn't much of a deterrent to dissuade others. I'm sure Samsung and other major corporations aren't particularly favorable towards leakers.

There's also Apple's supply chain. There's always somebody who wants a little extra ching or notoriety (personal or otherwise) for leaking info of some nature. Apple has to be careful as to which suppliers they can lean on heavily, for violating NDAs. Even if a supplier doesn't have do sign one, the manufacturer or vendor has to, so Apple has some leverage there.
  • Reply 48 of 48
    macgui said:
    I have no doubt that Apple has used canary traps from time to time to catch some of its employees with leaky dispositions. I'd like to see more firings made public. I wonder if HR can legally say, when asked for references, that an employee was fired for leaking intel, if that employee hasn't been criminally charged. Of course there's the 'you didn't hear this from me' gambit.
    My wife works fairly high up in HR at a very large company.  She is routinely involved in hiring new talent and terminating people who are no longer needed.  If she gets a call for a reference all she can do is verify employment, she can’t say anything positive OR negative about the employee.  I’m not positive but I believe if she portrays someone in a negative light and they can prove that kept them from new employment she could face legal action.