James Comey tears into Apple, Silicon Valley over encryption policies in new book

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    He insults Apple while giving everybody else a free pass? Typical. He just wants to sell books, truth be damned.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 42 of 51
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    As a reminder, it is not political manifesto time. Consider the line drawn.
  • Reply 43 of 51
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    If I own it, I don't want anyone else to have access to it. Period. It's called a right to privacy. It may not be explicitly stated in the Constitution, but SCOTUS said the Constitution implicitly granted such a right against governmental intrusion in the 1st, 3rd, 4th and 5th Amendments.

edited April 2018 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 44 of 51
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Soli said:
    Comey's service to this country is unparalleled...
    He did some service (whether one considers it good or not is up for debate), but unparalleled?
  • Reply 45 of 51
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,252member
    2015 Federal Spending (according to Politifact):

What a great graph. 1% for science spending. No wonder we’re in trouble. 
    baconstang
  • Reply 46 of 51
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    hexclock said:
    2015 Federal Spending (according to Politifact):

What a great graph. 1% for science spending. No wonder we’re in trouble. 
    There are limited functions the Federal government is allowed by the Constitution to carry out (a national defense being one of them). There’s no need for the Feds to control education, science spending or housing (just for starters). Much of our national government is basically taxation and spending gone completely hog wild.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 47 of 51

"Don't see the darkness"

Comey writes in the book that, when it comes to terrorism, crime, and other scourges "the leaders of the tech companies don't see the darkness the FBI sees."

"I found it appalling that the tech types couldn't see this," wrote Comey. "I would frequently joke with the FBI 'Going Dark' team assigned to seek solutions, 'Of course the Silicon Valley types don't see the darkness -- they live where it's sunny all the time and everybody is rich and smart.'"

I'm sure the Silicon Valley types joke with each other about how the FBI doesn't see the darkness of offering a backdoor to mobile operating systems.

They (the FBI) live where they get their every whim and everybody is subservient to them.

• Reply 48 of 51
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,281member
    buzdots said:
    blastdoor said:
    As you can see in this article, once a new Federal agency or department is established, it’s nearly impossible to get rid of it. Government is the definition of “feature creep”:  https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/fbi-founded

That’s reason enough to cut budgets, fire people and remain ever vigilant against those who continually push for more, more, more government.
    Many federal agencies have been eliminated over the years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Defunct_agencies_of_the_United_States_government

If you take a look at the vast majority of these "defunct" agencies, they are defunct in name only.  Their power, regulations and personnel have been rolled into another agency with a different name - and in most cases, expanded.
    The country has grown, its needs have changed, and this shows that the structure of the government has been, at least somewhat, responsive to that. 

A growing government is not on the face of it good or bad, except to people who have strong ideological views. Whether government growth is good or bad depends on whether the growth makes society better off by meeting the needs of society in a way that is better than feasible alternatives. To me, that's an empirical question that should be studied, not a question that we answer based on our tribal allegiances. 
  • Reply 50 of 51
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    JFC_PA said:
    I can almost guarantee Apple will get their hands on one for analysis. 
  • Reply 51 of 51
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    JFC_PA said:
    I can almost guarantee Apple will get their hands on one for analysis. 
    How? I'm not saying they won't and I'm sure they want to, but I'd think the company would want to keep Apple on one of the spectrum and criminals on the other end from obtaining one. I assume they will only sell to law enforcement and they probably have very strict rules about the sale. Will anyone in law enforcement want to help Apple make it harder for them to get into suspected criminal's iPhones?