Apple issues second beta of macOS High Sierra 10.13.5 to developers for testing

Posted:
in macOS edited April 2018
Following the release of the latest crop of iOS-derived betas on Friday, Apple on Tuesday issued its second beta of macOS 10.13.5 to developers.

Craig Federighi with High Sierra at WWDC

The latest High Sierra 10.13.5 beta bears the build number 17B45c, with the previous having number 17F35e. AppleInsider is currently testing out the new beta to find out what new features have been included in this first release.

AppleInsider, and Apple itself, strongly advise against installing beta releases on mission-critical hardware, due to the potential loss of data that can occur.

Apple released macOS 10.13.4 to the public on March 29, introducing enhanced eGPU support to the operating system. The addition makes it easier for users to connect a separate Thunderbolt 3 enclosure equipped with a dedicated video card to a Mac, which can increase the available processing power for graphics-heavy tasks, such as VR, gaming, and CAD.

Business Chat was also included, allowing users to communicate directly with companies via Messages, and even make purchases. The update also introduced more clarity on privacy and personal information, the ability to sort Safari bookmarks, and a number of other stability, performance, and security changes.

The second macOS beta also arrives one day after similar releases for iOS 11.4, tvOS 11.4, and watchOS 4.3.1 were released to developers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    thewbthewb Posts: 79member
    If Apple doesn't roll out APFS for spinning platters and Fusion drives soon then they might as well punt it to 10.14.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    keithwkeithw Posts: 140member
    Let's hope the fix some of their eGPU screwups like sabotaging TB1 and especially TB2, as well as nVidia support. 
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    keithw said:
    Let's hope the fix some of their eGPU screwups like sabotaging TB1 and especially TB2, as well as nVidia support. 
    I wouldn't hold my breath.
    edred
  • Reply 4 of 8
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Is there anything in this addressing the Propellerhead Reason performance issues noted in 10.13.4?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    They damn well better fix the DisplayLink disaster.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    commun6 said:
    DisplayLink relied on an undocumented workaround to make their drivers work. Why would Apple need to fix anything in this regard?

I'd rather the DisplayLink peripherals work too, but it is literally not Apple's responsibility to guarantee third party compatibility.
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 7 of 8
    commun6 said:
    DisplayLink relied on an undocumented workaround to make their drivers work. Why would Apple need to fix anything in this regard?

I'd rather the DisplayLink peripherals work too, but it is literally not Apple's responsibility to guarantee third party compatibility.
    You can't even use an iPad as an external display in 10.13.4. Very few people can afford to buy Apple [LG and Dell] external monitors, and portable ones don't work without DisplayLink.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    thewb said:
    If Apple doesn't roll out APFS for spinning platters and Fusion drives soon then they might as well punt it to 10.14.
    The early developer version of Apple's Disk Utilities that came with the first High Sierra beta does allow APFS creation on anything and still does.  I tried it successfully on a host of different external set ups including a 2 TB Fusion Drive, SSDs and HHDs  and 16 TB RAID 0.  So it works fine although I had issues with broken Symbolic links I'd made allow to offload a lot of native boot drive data to my RAID.  

Not sure why Apple never added the features to the consumer version of Disk Utilities but I have to assume it isn't a good idea to add it yet (if ever?) for reasons known to Apple.  I too wonder if 10.14 will have it for the consumer release version.  The newer betas certainly don't as of now. 
    edited April 2018