AirPort Express Wi-Fi router removed from Home app in iOS 11.4 beta, AirPlay 2 support in ...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    lmac said:
    ...is this yet another reason to stick with old hardware and not send hardware upgrade money to Apple...? An Authorized Dealer I spoke to recently declared Yosemite their preferred MacOS...
    What, that the Airport Express will only be an AirPlay target, and not an AirPlay 2 one? The hardware hasn't been updated for five years.

That's an irresponsible thing for the dealer to say, from a security standpoint alone. And, you can tell them that I said so.
    Why would anyone care what you think, Mike?
    Don't know -- but that's not the point. The dealer is still irresponsible, and I'm happy to stand behind my words, other than just being identified as something anonymous like "Authorized Dealer."
    edited April 2018 lmac
  • Reply 22 of 29
    macxpress said:
    ...is this yet another reason to stick with old hardware and not send hardware upgrade money to Apple...? An Authorized Dealer I spoke to recently declared Yosemite their preferred MacOS...
    Just curious...what are the other reasons?
    Well here goes my list, and I have used all of these aspects on all my hardware:

- VESA flexibility & target display dropped on iMac (was 5k worth it?)
    - fixed or proprietary ram, storage & batteries on portables, mini, pro, mouse, keyboard
    - being forced onto 'always in beta' OS when buying new hardware
    - mandatory touchbar expense for any portable with discrete graphics
    - lack of TB3 mDP support with the TB3/TB2 display adapter
    - the LG monitor (nuff said)
    - donglegate
    The one exception to me might be macbook due to impressive size, and yet the air managed upgradable storage and a plethora of ports...

• Target display was dropped in 2013. It was literally removed from the Thunderbolt hardware spec.
    • Proprietary RAM hasn't been a thing since the PowerBook 3400/3500, and 5V DIMM in the desktop wasn't proprietary. I'll give you fixed, but argue that there are engineering reasons for it.
    • I don't understand "forced onto 'always in beta'"
    • Touch Bar expense? Like? I presume this is something like "charge me $100 less to not have one"
    • This is accurate, but why not just get a USB-C to Mini DisplayPort cable?
    • LG monitor was not engineered by Apple.
    • Donglegate is what exactly? If it's the OH GOD ADAPTERS narrative, that's pretty dumb, because as computer users we've always, always had to adapt things. It has happened before, and it will happen again.
    ...perhaps an example of what is being advocated...?
    <p>
    http://barefeats.com/hard230.html
    <p>
    It has all just gotten a bit silly to me...
    <p>
    yes onboard RAM narrows tuning for speed - and forces others to pay $1k for 1TB when a $300 drive may be 'fast enough' for particular needs...
    <p>
    Apple chose not to upgrade the thunderbolt display, and clearly did not front run the LG for efficacy, vs simply updating the Thunderbolt to 4K and USB3 which might have covered the masses, and adding a 5K option for the pros who needed it - was 5K worth making everything so difficult ? Even the iMac has been criticized now only finally getting desktop level GPU and VRAM, with all but the 395X falling short prior... 
    <p>
    ... and so yes I have tested but sent back all hardware hoped to work since 2011, missing two full Applecare upgrade cycles that would have been routine in a prior era - it was just to much of a hassle 'for the rest of us' - to each their own...  On a positive I would say that the hardware is well built, and my 2010 iMac is the best computer I've ever owned, allowing me to keep my flexible options running, and debating which OS I really want to run with, still firing up snow on occasion to access older files and apps - oops can't do that on a newer mac, even if a client wants it...
    <p>
    ...and looping back in I still have a couple of the earlier express, still hardware functional, yet one now unsupported - at what point do environmental considerations factor in to what may be planned obsolescence for business purposes with a supposed sustainable policy...?
    I can't fully understand the points you're making. I'm really not sure what you're asking.

"Narrows tuning for speed" is still not proprietary. It is still, literally, bog-standard RAM. If you want that $300 1TB SSD, go external, instead of using an internal bus and that adapter board you're talking about.

Apple sealing machines has cut the number of machines that comes in in the first few years of ownership by 50%. That's half the Mac parts and half the cores shipped back to Apple for refurbishment or disposal. The argument that all users upgrade their machines to keep them up to date is false. While AppleInsider users may, the overwhelming majority of computer users do not. Any argument that upgrades keep machines out of landfills is more than offset by not only the design features of the machine for easier recycling than before, but far less in the way of maintenance and parts to service same. Again, I like upgradeable machines. Ai readers do. Ma and Pa America, far and away the largest computer user base, does not care one iota about it.

This all said, no matter how much I like my 5,1 Mac Pro, Every machine that we're all using is ultimately headed for disposal. Apple sealing them up looks to be extending the usable period and cutting back on the part supply needed to support them.

You get a lot of call for users needing the seven-cycle old Snow Leopard, do you? Out of genuine curiosity, what can't be brought forward in newer versions of apps?

Planned obsolescence has been and continues to be a load of crap. In this case, you're complaining about an 802.11n extender, that the last revision was made five years ago when 802.11ac routers had already been in play for two years.
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 23 of 29
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    macxpress said:
    Well here goes my list, and I have used all of these aspects on all my hardware:

- fixed or proprietary ram, storage & batteries on portables, mini, pro, mouse, keyboard
    - donglegate
    The one exception to me might be macbook due to impressive size, and yet the air managed upgradable storage and a plethora of ports...

• Target display was dropped in 2013. It was literally removed from the Thunderbolt hardware spec.
    • Proprietary RAM hasn't been a thing since the PowerBook 3400/3500, and 5V DIMM in the desktop wasn't proprietary. I'll give you fixed, but argue that there are engineering reasons for it.
    • Touch Bar expense? Like? I presume this is something like "charge me $100 less to not have one"
    • Donglegate is what exactly? If it's the OH GOD ADAPTERS narrative, that's pretty dumb, because as computer users we've always, always had to adapt things. It has happened before, and it will happen again.
    [snip] at what point do environmental considerations factor in to what may be planned obsolescence for business purposes with a supposed sustainable policy...?
    What on earth are you talking about? That is absurd nonsense. 
  • Reply 24 of 29
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,139member
    macxpress said:

- donglegate

<p>
    <p>
    <p>
    yes onboard RAM narrows tuning for speed - and forces others to pay $1k for 1TB when a $300 drive may be 'fast enough' for particular needs...
    <p>
    Apple chose not to upgrade the thunderbolt display, and clearly did not front run the LG for efficacy, vs simply updating the Thunderbolt to 4K and USB3 which might have covered the masses, and adding a 5K option for the pros who needed it - was 5K worth making everything so difficult ? Even the iMac has been criticized now only finally getting desktop level GPU and VRAM, with all but the 395X falling short prior... 
    <p>
    ... and so yes I have tested but sent back all hardware hoped to work since 2011, missing two full Applecare upgrade cycles that would have been routine in a prior era - it was just to much of a hassle 'for the rest of us' - to each their own...  On a positive I would say that the hardware is well built, and my 2010 iMac is the best computer I've ever owned, allowing me to keep my flexible options running, and debating which OS I really want to run with, still firing up snow on occasion to access older files and apps - oops can't do that on a newer mac, even if a client wants it...
    <p>
    ...and looping back in I still have a couple of the earlier express, still hardware functional, yet one now unsupported - at what point do environmental considerations factor in to what may be planned obsolescence for business purposes with a supposed sustainable policy...?
    I can't fully understand the points you're making. I'm really not sure what you're asking.

"Narrows tuning for speed" is still not proprietary. It is still, literally, bog-standard RAM. If you want that $300 1TB SSD, go external, instead of using an internal bus and that adapter board you're talking about.

Apple sealing machines has cut the number of machines that comes in in the first few years of ownership by 50%. That's half the parts and half the cores shipped back to Apple for refurbishment or disposal. The argument that all users upgrade their machines to keep them up to date is false. While AppleInsider users may, the overwhelming majority of computer users do not. Any argument that upgrades keep machines out of landfills is more than offset by not only the design features of the machine for easier recycling than before, but far less in the way of maintenance and parts to service same. Again, I like upgradeable machines. Ai readers do. Ma and Pa America, far and away the largest computer user base, does not care one iota about it.

This all said, no matter how much I like my 5,1 Mac Pro, Every machine that we're all using is ultimately headed for disposal. Apple sealing them up looks to be extending the usable period and cutting back on the part supply needed to support them.

You get a lot of call for users needing the seven-cycle old Snow Leopard, do you? Out of genuine curiosity, what can't be brought forward in newer versions of apps?

Planned obsolescence has been and continues to be a load of crap. In this case, you're complaining about an 802.11n extender, that the last revision was made five years ago when 802.11ac routers had already been in play for two years.
    ...perhaps I am wrong, yet it seems a currently shipping product...?
    https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC414LL/A/airport-express
    Lots of assumptions made it would seem, and I would not be using any of my current macs
    without the upgrades I've been able to make, and looking at bumping up my mini server,
    to a 2TB raid 1 - remember when that was possible, via internal bus, with a lock slot cable for security ?
    <p>
    The dealer is legit, and we were discussing the x-grid they used to use, back even further in Lion...
    aylk
  • Reply 25 of 29
    macxpress said:

- donglegate

<p>
    <p>
    <p>
    <p>
    <p>
    <p>

Apple sealing machines has cut the number of machines that comes in in the first few years of ownership by 50%. That's half the parts and half the cores shipped back to Apple for refurbishment or disposal. The argument that all users upgrade their machines to keep them up to date is false. While AppleInsider users may, the overwhelming majority of computer users do not. Any argument that upgrades keep machines out of landfills is more than offset by not only the design features of the machine for easier recycling than before, but far less in the way of maintenance and parts to service same. Again, I like upgradeable machines. Ai readers do. Ma and Pa America, far and away the largest computer user base, does not care one iota about it.

...perhaps I am wrong, yet it seems a currently shipping product...?
    https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC414LL/A/airport-express
    Lots of assumptions made it would seem, and I would not be using any of my current macs
    without the upgrades I've been able to make, and looking at bumping up my mini server,
    to a 2TB raid 1 - remember when that was possible, via internal bus, with a lock slot cable for security ?
    <p>
    The dealer is legit, and we were discussing the x-grid they used to use, back even further in Lion...
    The fact that you can buy one, doesn't mean that it's last hardware update wasn't five years ago.

Not that legit, not that knowledgable, and not selling that much hardware if they recommend Yosemite.

Anyway, have a good night. Back at it in the morning.
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 26 of 29
    macxpress said:
    jdgaz said:
    This would be a shame. I have my Express connected to a Marantz receiver via the optical out. Makes for a very enjoyable listening experience.
    HomePod?
    HomePod as an option again a Stereo or AV system You are kidding, right?

Probably the move towards downsizing to Bluetooth Speakers and catering to dorm dwellers has caused users to totally lower their aural expectations. There was a time when one aspired to a great receiver, accurate speakers, maybe a subwoofer, a tuner table, tape deck, CD player, DVD Player, BluRay player, etc,
    Now it’s streaming digital. If Apple removes Airplay 1 support then it opens the field of connecting to real sound systems to other players.

But removing Airplay 1 support would be another duderheaded corporate move alienating current users.

Many might switch to Spotify since it supports more platforms and will connect to anything from the puniest Bluetooth Speakers to magnificent 7.2 AV sound systems and beyond. Without at Airplay 1 / Airport Express support Apple outs itself of the running for serious music.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    Synchronised multi-room Audio (with individually adjustable audio) has been a feature of AirPlay since Day One in 2004, at least from within iTunes. 

What is new in AirPlay 2 is the ability to split a stereo signal among two different wi-fi receivers. 
  • Reply 28 of 29
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    “Airplay 2 to feature increased throughput” The ability to stream HighRes audio (24bit/DSD) maybe?