Probable 'iPhone SE 2' exposed by European regulatory agency

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2020
Apple may be close to announcing a follow-up to the iPhone SE, after the discovery of a regulatory filing reveals details and images for unannounced mobile devices from Apple, effectively confirming new iPhones will be on the way in the near future.

iPhone SE

The filing by the Eurasian Economic Commission (EEC), which authorizes devices for a number of countries including Russia and Armenia, shows it has given the all-clear for a number of iPhones to go on sale. The information in the filing does not specify model names, but rumors and the timing of the filing strongly point to another iPhone SE launch.

Found by Consomac, the devices are identified with the model numbers A1920, A1921, A1984, A2097, A2098, A2099, A2101, A2103, A2014, A2015, and A2016. None of the iPhones Apple has previously launched use these model numbers, indicating them to be brand new devices.

Few other bits of useful information are offered in the filing, but it is noted the listed iPhones will ship running iOS 11. It is likely this is shorthand to refer to iOS' main generational release, and the iPhones themselves will ship with a more recent version, such as iOS 11.3.

iPhone regulatory filing EEC

The iPhone SE was launched on March 21, 2016, making it a two-year-old smartphone that is probably due to be upgraded soon. It was also launched separately from the main iPhone releases, which are typically revealed in the fall, so a spring unveiling for the "iPhone SE 2" is logical, assuming a two-year replacement cycle.

The regulatory agency has a 100 percent accuracy in providing model information, and a minimum of solid data, about Apple's new releases. The filings are made public either just a few days before release or weeks. The "Field Trip" sixth generation iPads were heralded by the regulatory agency about two weeks before the event.

Rumors about an "iPhone SE 2" started cranking up in November, with allegations that it would ship in the first half of 2018 and be manufactured by Wistron in India. More recently, reports suggested that the device would have a glass back, to facilitate Qi charging, like the iPhone 8 family and iPhone X.

Other rumors claim that the "inexpensive smartphone similar to the iPhone SE" will skip "3D sensing," but what that refers to in the rumor is unclear. The existing iPhone SE lacks 3D Touch and any follow-on may as well, but it may also be referring to the TrueDepth camera system at the core of Face ID.

A different report claims that the "iPhone SE 2" will come with the A10 processor, and 2GB of RAM, with 32GB or 128GB storage configurations. When the iPhone SE launched, it had the same processor as the iPhone 6s -- the A9. If Apple is looking at a design philisophy similar to the original iPhone SE, the "iPhone SE 2" may have the A11 Bionic, as debuted in the iPhone 8 and iPhone X.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    It is about time!  I am hoping for a flagship SE-2 instead of a budget model that has two year old or later components inside of it and it called "new"!  It a joke to many buyers of the SE because many buyers can easily afford to buy a Mac Pro on impulse if they wanted one with thinking about how much it costs!
    edited April 2018 airnerdnetmagebaconstang
  • Reply 2 of 35
    It is about time!  I am hoping for a flagship SE-2 instead of a budget model that has two year old or later components inside of it and it called "new"!  It a joke to many buyers of the SE because many buyers can easily afford to buy a Mac Pro on impulse if they wanted one with thinking about how much it costs!
    When released, the SE featured current generation hardware.  I'd love to see a refresh with better internals with the same 4" screen size.  
    airnerdcornchipnetmagekirkgraycommand_fbaconstanglkallianceaylk
  • Reply 3 of 35
    The title of article is a little bit misleading, Eurasion Economic Commision is not European regulatory agency (it has nothing in common with EU, or Europe as normally percieved), it covers Russia and several former parts of Soviet Union.
    airnerdcornchipavon b7kirkgray1983aylktallest skil
  • Reply 4 of 35
    The SE is the smallest iPhone and a cheap entry into the iOS ecosystem.  I know many who have absolutely no desire for more features than the SE’s. It is/was a perfect product for many people.  
    airnerdrhinotuffracerhomie3seanismorrismike1kirkgraybaconstanglkallianceaylk
  • Reply 5 of 35
    The SE is the smallest iPhone and a cheap entry into the iOS ecosystem.  I know many who have absolutely no desire for more features than the SE’s. It is/was a perfect product for many people.  
    that "cheap-entry" position has been taken by the abundance of top quality "refurbs" on the market now. If some other people don't need "more" than the current SE, then I'm sure Apple will continue to sell the current SE to fill that market also. For the rest of us favouring a 4" iPhone, we crave decent specs at any price. 
  • Reply 6 of 35
    wandersowanderso Posts: 116member
    I carry 2 iPhones in 2 different carrier networks. One for work (7s Plus) and my trusty iPhone 5s. I got the 7s because tethering is important for work and I wanted the longest battery life possible.   I'm not a fan of the size. I still appreciate the form factor of the 5s in many respects. I had the battery replaced by a local company about 18 months ago and enjoyed the improvement.  I didn't do the SE at the time because the storage was insufficient at launch. Since then I've been waiting for an upgrade to version 2, which should replace my 5s. Form factor and overall value, not just price, is important to me.  I'd love to see the small form factor include a 2 camera setup like the 7s+ or X, but doubt Apple would add that at any price. I hate feeling like I have an iPad against my face when answering a call on a 7s Plus, which is why it is mostly used as a data device. 
    cornchip[Deleted User]command_fbaconstangsdbryan
  • Reply 7 of 35
    miisha said:
    The title of article is a little bit misleading, Eurasion Economic Commision is not European regulatory agency (it has nothing in common with EU, or Europe as normally percieved), it covers Russia and several former parts of Soviet Union.
    Come to say this.

It’s like calling a Canadian agency “American”. While technically correct...well...it’s weird.

Even worse given that Russia at the moment is not exactly a friend of EU and Western Europe, and this “Eurasian” thing feels like the “me too” Russian version of the EU, with blackjack and hookers.

And btw what if this Russian “FCC” is damaging an American company on purpose with these leaks? Calling it “European” fails to give the full picture.
    edited April 2018 cornchipmacgui
  • Reply 8 of 35
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Umm, the A9 was "new" when the SE shipped. It debuted in the 6s the previous Fall. So it had just as much power as Apple's latest flagship model at the time. And when it comes to device longevity it is about how much power it has and what it will be able to support in the future. By sticking an A9 in the SE, they effectively gave it a lifespan that equals a normal upgrade cycle for most people.

The SE could hardly be called a joke by anyone (except you). In fact, when it was released it was highly reviewed as a great device and the most powerful 4" phone on the market, not to mention more powerful than almost every Android phone being sold.

Having said that, I do understand what you're actually looking for; a 4" flagship model, an iPhone 8 "mini". To which I agree would also be nice, but that's no reason to disparage the SE, which is a really, really good phone. And did exactly what Apple hoped it would do.
    jcs2305racerhomie3mike1netmageairnerdcharlesgresGG1sdbryanlkallianceaylk
  • Reply 9 of 35
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    rhinotuff said:
    When released, the SE featured current generation hardware.  I'd love to see a refresh with better internals with the same 4" screen size.  
    The SE is still faster than most Android phones.
    cornchipboogerman2000asdasdaylk
  • Reply 10 of 35
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator

And btw what if this Russian “FCC” is damaging an American company on purpose with these leaks? Calling it “European” fails to give the full picture.
    The agency in question has no secrecy clause like the US FCC. It reveals the same information on Samsung, and every other manufacturer you can think of.
    netmagejony0asdasdaylk
  • Reply 11 of 35
    wbmwbm Posts: 12unconfirmed, member
    My wife wants an upto date 4” iPhone. Not last years model. Not a 4.7” iphone, but a 4” iphone that is upto date internally. My hope is that this would be it. Too bad by the time our contract is up, it will be last years model again.....sad trombone.
    perpetual3command_fbaconstang
  • Reply 12 of 35

The agency in question has no secrecy clause like the US FCC. It reveals the same information on Samsung, and every other manufacturer you can think of.
    I see. Still no damage done to any Russian successful smartphone maker, I guess. After the lenghts they went even for something relatively innocuos like getting more medals at the olympics, I go full tinfoil hat whenever Russia is involved.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,664member
    This would be a great move on Apple's part (just as the original SE was).

Small form factor, mid range 'new' phone well away from the end of year updates. Keeps marketing happy, stimulates interested and provides a solution at a (probably) reasonable price for people who aren't interested in big new phones.

That said, there were a lot of model numbers listed. If there is a SE Plus option in there it would mark a major shift in the lineup.
    netmagecommand_f
  • Reply 14 of 35
    It will have wireless charging! :)
  • Reply 15 of 35
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 529member
    wanderso said:
    I carry 2 iPhones in 2 different carrier networks. One for work (7s Plus) and my trusty iPhone 5s. I got the 7s [...]

Are you sure? There is no such phone as a “7s”.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    clarker99clarker99 Posts: 230member
    I read on a different site that only 7 of the 11 devices were listed as running iOS?

Either way, an odd number of SE2 models (7 or 11) doesnt make sense?

*IF* there are 7 SE2 models, that leaves 4 other products. AirPower & wireless charging case for Airpods. What else is in the pipeline? 
  • Reply 17 of 35
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    There are currently 3 iPhone SE SKUs ("US", "Sprint", "China Mobile"), but 7 new iOS SKUs.

iPad Pro running A9X processors were released in June 2017, this would be exactly the right time to release A10X models.

overdue for update: iPod Touch, iPad Mini (both last updated 2015, A8 processors)

3 iPhone SE-2s, iPad Pro 12" and 10", iPod Touch, iPad Mini == 7 SKUs. I'm sure at least one of these guesses is wrong, though.
    edited April 2018 aylk
  • Reply 18 of 35
    I would buy a new budget SE if it has an improved screen and front-facing camera, otherwise, I'll stick with the current model.

I would also buy a premium iPhone SE if it has a similar footprint to the current model. Us smaller phone aficionados deserve the notch too.

I will not use a phone as large as the iPhone 8 or iPhone X. Ever.

I know I'm not alone. I know four people with SEs who prefer the smaller footprint and screen size and are not budget consumers. A premium SE would be a wonderful addition to the iPhone lineup.
    edited April 2018 Eric_WVGGcommand_fleftoverbaconbaconstangsdbryan
  • Reply 19 of 35
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    non iOS SKUs: AirPower and wireless charge for Airpods are safe bets. New Mac Minis would be a decent olive branch to developers who are waiting on 2019 Mac Pros.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    For a sub-HD resolution phone with 4" diagonal, I don't understand why someone would need A11 to power it? It is not as-if all the graphics benchmarks are sub-par with A9. They are already top-notch (with very high frame rates). A10 itself is almost an overkill for the 4" phones. But I can understand that an upgrade of SoC needs to be there for a new model, so my guess is that Apple would go with A10 for SE2. A10 is not going to be slow even for 4 more years (at least when compared to competition at that price point). I don't see the new SE2 having A11. In my view, if Apple can increase the RAM from 2GB to 3GB or 4GB, that would provide long-term benefits when the phone gets future versions of iOS. And base storage should start with 64GB, hopefully.