Apple iOS App Store is trouncing Google Play in services, subscriptions

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Apple is trouncing Google in an area Google shows little interest in.  Big shakes.

Google cares about ads, not monetization of their app store.
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 22 of 28
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    crowley said:
    Apple is trouncing Google in an area Google shows little interest in.  Big shakes.

Apple is also trouncing Google in hardware, an area Google has shown interest in. 

So basically Google is struggling with services, and struggling with hardware, but they still make money in ads, tho mostly desktop since mobile ads is weaker. And yet... the DOOM narrative is that Apple is over dependent on iphone, despite serious revenue from other hardware and now services. 

So it begs the question — why goes Google get a pass for being a one-trick pony? Especially when that one trick brings home so much less revenue?
    edited April 2018 minisu1980watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 28
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    From these comments, might be worthwhile for AI to do a series on rivals. Google amazon Facebook, Sammy.... Also music and video rivals. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 28
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    crowley said:

Apple is also trouncing Google in hardware, an area Google has shown interest in. 

So basically Google is struggling with services, and struggling with hardware, but they still make money in ads, tho mostly desktop since mobile ads is weaker. And yet... the DOOM narrative is that Apple is over dependent on iphone, despite serious revenue from other hardware and now services. 

So it begs the question — why goes Google get a pass for being a one-trick pony? Especially when that one trick brings home so much less revenue?
    What’s your source for Google’s revenue from mobile being weaker? Or that a Google is struggling with services. Is that coming from their financials? Google is basically a monopoly in the ad business. Apple sells high margin hardware. Right or wrong Wall Street’s concern is 1) the addressable market for iPhone is essentially saturated and 2) as Joe Kernan from CNBC would say, someone else will build a better gadget. Not saying I agree but that’s why there’s more concern about Apple’s business model than Google’s. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 25 of 28
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    avon b7 said:

but both Google and Android enthusiasts note that shopping outside of Google Play is exceptionally dangerous due to the malware and spyware that satiates open software markets.
    This is a bit like saying walking outside is dangerous. Yes, it can be, if you have must or choose to frequent dangerous areas. But the vast majority of people buying outside of the play store (in the US, as this data looks at) are giving their money to established companies like Spotify and Netflix on a desktop.

DED, it would be interesting to see an unbiased look at the two different business models. Rather than saying Google fails at being Apple, why not look at what it is actually trying to do. Its goal is to get many devices into hands and make money from advertising in apps rather than clip the ticket on app purchases. The world is better if we have competing business models.
    Agreed. It would be better if this claim were supported with a link but even then it wouldn't hold much water:

"Android enthusiasts note that shopping outside of Google Play is exceptionally dangerous".

The title would be more correct if it stated this information is limited to U.S. App Store. The linked source article makes this clear:

"U.S. iPhone Users Spent An Average of $58 on Apps in 2017, 23% More Than the Year Before"

The numbers are estimates, not absolute numbers, and although the article states that Google Play doesn't represent the entirety of the Android App store market, no estimate is given for how much the missing part could represent. Without such an estimate, the whole idea is out of whack.

A far better observation could be made if it were based on numbers (even estimates) worldwide.

Last year Android App stores were on track to overtake Apple (not sure if services and subscriptions are included, though):

"However, when factoring in Google Play and third-party Android stores combined, consumer spend should overtake iOS for the first time ever in 2017"

https://www.appannie.com/en/insights/market-data/app-annie-forecast-2017-mobile-app-store-revenue-exceed-139-billion-2021/

It would be more interesting to see how that eventually played out.

So google loses, which happens a lot when compared to Apple, and now we need to expand the conversation in such a way that they maybe don't come up short. DED can't write an article to your satisfaction because you will insist on moving the goal posts. Since better observations are made by estimating, I can estimate Apple sells more ads than Google. Doesn't make it true, but numbers don't matter right.
    Where were the goalposts moved? Where was the conversation expanded?

The title is misleading. Information is presented as absolute and the only mention of estimates ( which is what the piece hinges on) was included well into piece by way of a direct quote. I simply pointed out - and nicely - where I considered it lacked weight.

The article plunges a stake into its own heart by admitting that the Play Store is not the only way services and subscriptions are managed on Android and then failing to provide even an estimate of what it could be.

The comparison failed as a result even if the final numbers do actually support the claim (and it's not like there's long to wait for Apple's own App Store numbers - at least they won't be estimates).

Saying Android enthusiasts 'claim shopping outside the Google Play Store is extremely dangerous' was not really a good idea without some links to back it up. A simple link would be easy to find (better than nothing) but, as I said, wouldn't hold much water. People who install, use services or subscribe from outside the Play Store, mostly do so knowing the risks and taking care not to fall foul to them in the first place. This ignores completely the existence of perfectly legitimate alternative (non Google Play) stores for Android (which is one of the reasons I included the App Annie link - a lot of revenue gets pumped through such stores).

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 26 of 28
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Folio said:
    From these comments, might be worthwhile for AI to do a series on rivals. Google amazon Facebook, Sammy.... Also music and video rivals. 

Yeah, how about a story about Apple TV and why Apple seems to be so clueless in that space. Amazon just announced a partnership with Beat Buy whereby Best Buy will sell smart TVs that use Amazon’s FireTV software. You’ll be able to buy these TVs in store or through amazon.com.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/4/18/17251214/amazon-best-buy-fire-tv-edition-smart-deal-partnership

I just recently purchased a 4K smart TV and it has Roku integration. Since I got it I hardly ever use my Apple TV. I mostly used it for content streaming and Roku has all of that. I want to watch Netflix or Food Network or whatever and in a couple seconds I’m in the app streaming content. Why spend $199 on a box when you can have all that integrated right into the TV? Or get a much cheaper streaming stick. I used to think having Apple make a television set was a nutty idea but now having a smart TV I think they should do it. Sure TVs don’t get upgraded often but considering Apple is moving into original content, having Apple TV software built right into the TV where it’s easy to access (and Apple can prominently showcase their offerings) seems like a really good way to increase subscriptions. But so far Apple seems to not know what the heck to do in this space. Sad really.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Folio said:

Yeah, how about a story about Apple TV and why Apple seems to be so clueless in that space. Amazon just announced a partnership with Beat Buy whereby Best Buy will sell smart TVs that use Amazon’s FireTV software. You’ll be able to buy these TVs in store or through amazon.com.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/4/18/17251214/amazon-best-buy-fire-tv-edition-smart-deal-partnership

I just recently purchased a 4K smart TV and it has Roku integration. Since I got it I hardly ever use my Apple TV. I mostly used it for content streaming and Roku has all of that. I want to watch Netflix or Food Network or whatever and in a couple seconds I’m in the app streaming content. Why spend $199 on a box when you can have all that integrated right into the TV? Or get a much cheaper streaming stick. I used to think having Apple make a television set was a nutty idea but now having a smart TV I think they should do it. Sure TVs don’t get upgraded often but considering Apple is moving into original content, having Apple TV software built right into the TV where it’s easy to access (and Apple can prominently showcase their offerings) seems like a really good way to increase subscriptions. But so far Apple seems to not know what the heck to do in this space. Sad really.
    Yes, so sad...poor, poor, Apple, always struggling, confused, blind. If only they were better at not making money, like the other guys. 

I never use the built in “smart” features of my TV. Besides crummier interfaces, there’s more to ATV than netflix. How do you play your music library in Roku? How do you airplay pictures? How do your family members airplay videos from their phones? How do you open Plex? How do you issue HomeKit commands? Etc... It’s the ecosystem, again, and here the ATV is greater than a netflix streamer. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 28
    cocochanmicocochanmi Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I am always interested in the Google Play IOS application store and I have my own iOS application store: https://iplaystoredownloadfree.com/google-play-store-download-ios/