Apple's iPhone holds crown for owner loyalty, as Samsung retains lead in U.S. smartphone a...

Posted:
in iPhone
Despite the Apple loyalty hitting a high, the March launch of the Galaxy S9 and S9+ helped propel Samsung ahead of Apple in U.S. smartphone activations during the last quarter, a reversal of what happened during the holiday period.

The Samsung Galaxy S9.
The Samsung Galaxy S9.

Samsung picked up 39 percent of activations, while Apple had 31 percent, and LG came in third with 14 percent, Consumer Intelligence Research Partners said in a Wednesday report. Other brands collectively represented just 17 percent of activations.

Apple claimed the lead in the December quarter with over 40 percent. As might be expected, the figure was attributable to the launch of the iPhone X and 8/8 Plus -- the X in particular only arrived in November, amid hype around it being Apple's first phone with an edge-to-edge OLED display and Face ID.

CIRP noted that Samsung typically has the greatest activations in the U.S., with figures mostly fluctuating based on the season and product launches.

Apple is unlikely to be worried, as CIRP's data suggests that loyalty among iPhone owners -- gauged by how many activators are sticking with a brand -- is over 90 percent. The company has easily commanded the most loyalty during the past year, at worst dipping to 80 percent in the September quarter. That figure is still ahead of Samsung's peak, also during the same quarter.

The lack of loyalty among Android-based brands can be attributed to the flexibility of being able to switch vendors while staying on the same platform. As CIRP noted however, even Android owners are beginning to stick.

iphone-loyalty-samsung-apple-lg-motorola

"As fewer unique features are added to flagship phones, and brands have developed personalities with consistent user interfaces, consumers have fewer reasons to change brands, and more reasons not to when they upgrade phones," wrote CIRP co-founder Mike Levin.

CIRP's report is based on a survey of 500 people that activated a phone, whether new or used.

Samsung traditionally launches new S-series phones in the spring. The S9 and S9+ feature 5.8- and 6.2-inch sAMOLED displays, dual-aperture cameras, and "AR Emoji," a feature claimed to predate the iPhone X's animoji.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I’m missing something -  who really cares anymore about Samsung this, Hwawei that, Android vs iOS whatever?  Are there truly such a significant amount of consumers who are ready to flip phones whenever a new one comes out?

While I’m fully aware that my tiny, bias opinion based on anecdotal evidence makes no impact whatsoever, what are people missing in either variant of smartphone anymore - they have the same shape, fairly similar UI, and even now the same notch. Top end models all have decent cameras that still can’t touch large sensor dedicated cameras.  They all have pretty similar OLED screens.  

I just don’t understand the worthiness of this kind of news.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    so Samsung just gained additional activations from other Android users.  Yawn.
    potatoleeksoupjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    I’m missing something -  who really cares anymore about Samsung this, Hwawei that, Android vs iOS whatever?  Are there truly such a significant amount of consumers who are ready to flip phones whenever a new one comes out?

While I’m fully aware that my tiny, bias opinion based on anecdotal evidence makes no impact whatsoever, what are people missing in either variant of smartphone anymore - they have the same shape, fairly similar UI, and even now the same notch. Top end models all have decent cameras that still can’t touch large sensor dedicated cameras.  They all have pretty similar OLED screens.  

The biggest differences are lack of security and regular updates on all non-Apple phones. I can also see more activations on all models of Samsung phones because there are cheap(er).
    albegarcjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

It’s simple human nature. People want to cheer winners and jeer losers. In the 1950s it was the Ford, Chevy, Dodge gear-heads calling each other losers. In the 1970’s it was the VHS vs Betamax fanboys berating each other. Then came Blu-ray vs HD-DVD, followed by Windows vs Mac (with a sideshow of Apple vs Amiga). Now it’s Apple vs Samsung. The idea of someone winning and someone losing is attractive for some reason. 
    singularitypotatoleeksoupalbegarcfrantisekjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    At risk of reading too much into 500 people survey, Apple no surprise, even after jittery iOS 11 launch. Samsung loyalty recuperated after battery catastrophe. At 70 for four quarters is impressive, esp since easier to switch within android, or to iOS. Question is do Samsung Android users, the ones spending big $$$$ know what they’re missing? Not just w phone but ecosystem. If not, oppty for Apple.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    hzchzc Posts: 63member
    What about profits on units sold? 🙄
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    saltyzipsaltyzip Posts: 193member
    rob53 said:

The biggest differences are lack of security and regular updates on all non-Apple phones. I can also see more activations on all models of Samsung phones because there are cheap(er).
    Outside of the Google Pixel, Google's Android one initiative should set a precedent for more apple like updates https://www.android.com/one/

My advice is simply don't buy an android phone unless it's on the Android one list of supported devices.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    saltyzip said:
    rob53 said:

Outside of the Google Pixel, Google's Android one initiative should set a precedent for more apple like updates https://www.android.com/one/

My advice is simply don't buy an android phone unless it's on the Android one list of supported devices.
    This would have been useful advice 10 years ago; now, not so much. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I'd really like to see the possibility for BTO variations such as models souped up for FCP or another version ideal for high end VR and Gaming and so on.  Of course one that could do everything better than any PC would be nice :) 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    stevenozstevenoz Posts: 314member
    Loyalty... Donald demands it.

For Apple, we just give it because there is no acceptable option.

I can't envision an iPhone user buying an Android phone for personal use. 

Historic iPhone model sales may go up and down... but no-one is going to leave Apple with current options.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    hzc said:
    What about profits on units sold? 🙄
      that should be the only thing that matters.
    watto_cobra