Apple's iPhone 'Do Not Disturb While Driving' feature helping to reduce dangerous habits

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    friedmudfriedmud Posts: 165member
    Plus even if you have CarPlay you’re still taking your eyes off the road to read the message. The LCD screen isn’t located in the windshield! 

CarPlay does not ever "show" a text message on the screen.  It will "speak" it to you... but that's it.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 32
    It works most of the time, but there are a few times, where I have apple maps navigation open, start the car then several miles later I'm getting notifications. So I have to lock it, but cant see the onscreen map unless I tap it. But for my new car I was holding out to see if I wanted carplay or not, because not all the cars I was considering had it,  but now Carplay is a must after using it in a rental. But now I have it turned on for when I'm just connected to Bluetooth versus by speed or whatever the options were. Today it felt like everyone was texting or looking down instead of at the light or something else.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 32
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    Soli said:
    dcgoo said:
    If there was a way to disable the default reply, I would turn it back on.  I do not want to prompt my correspondents to use the "urgent" feature. plus it is far too wordy.  All I want it to send, is something MUCH shorter, like: "Later, I am driving"  Nothing else.  (yes, I have left feedback)

Someone created a video that answers your question…

Sorry, it doesn’t do that. You can create your own custom text, but it is sent in addition to the default paragraph. 
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 32
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    macxpress said:

If you have CarPlay you can receive and send messages without ever having to take your eyes off the road or hands off of the wheel. In a time where even a cheap car is $20k, including CarPlay should not be that big of a deal.
    I know this is quite hard in today's world, but I think we also need to get past this just because a text came in, doesn't mean we have to respond to it right away. What did we do 10yrs ago when texting wasn't a thing? The earth still rotated, your friends were still there, the sun still rose the next day because you weren't in contact with someone 24/7/365. I'm just a guilty as the next person, but I think its something we somehow need to correct. How? I have not a clue!
    Absolutely agree... I have had to check myself recently.. I had gotten a bit bent out of shape when I sent a text to someone and didn't get back what I thought to be a timely response.  Then I sat back and said to myself..damn man relax.. people can get busy and not have their phone right next to them for ( gasp  :o ) an hour or two. Hahaha  It's not that serious.  So I poured a whiskey.. put some music on my Homepod and relaxed..  B)

cornchipmacxpressjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 32
    I like this feature a lot.  I didn’t text n drive a lot before, but having notifications disabled is great.  Plus they get a text that I’m driving so they know I’m busy.  Calls still route through my car’s blue tooth.  Easy peasy - love it!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 32
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    What I love is that I can tap it on my watch and it locks my phone up too. Very handy.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 32
    Do Not Disturb might have stopped me from texting while driving, but I’m still shaving, eating, and tweeting during my morning commute down the interstate.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 32
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    The most dangerous situation is notifications keep on popping up while you’re driving with the navigation assistance of Apple Maps, Waze, Google Maps and etc.  
    Notification messages block the screen and Do Not Disturb should disable them.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    dcgoo said:
    Soli said:
    dcgoo said:
    If there was a way to disable the default reply, I would turn it back on.  I do not want to prompt my correspondents to use the "urgent" feature. plus it is far too wordy.  All I want it to send, is something MUCH shorter, like: "Later, I am driving"  Nothing else.  (yes, I have left feedback)

Someone created a video that answers your question…

Sorry, it doesn’t do that. You can create your own custom text, but it is sent in addition to the default paragraph. 
    That answers your question. You can have something MUCH shorter than the default double reply and you can't not have the first message sent without alteration. I just have a car emoji as my custom text.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Apple need to tweak this a little: Before "Do Not Disturb" came along I used to get a notification about my journey to work as I got in the started car, indicating approximate journey time and a brief summary of traffic conditions. Since "Do Not Disturb" is now enabled as soon as the phone pairs via bluetooth, the notification is suppressed. If they just put in a 30 second delay it would all be fine. I sent Apple feedback about this some months ago, but still waiting for them to "fix" it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 32
    macxpress said:

If you have CarPlay you can receive and send messages without ever having to take your eyes off the road or hands off of the wheel. In a time where even a cheap car is $20k, including CarPlay should not be that big of a deal.
    I know this is quite hard in today's world, but I think we also need to get past this just because a text came in, doesn't mean we have to respond to it right away. What did we do 10yrs ago when texting wasn't a thing? The earth still rotated, your friends were still there, the sun still rose the next day because you weren't in contact with someone 24/7/365. I'm just a guilty as the next person, but I think its something we somehow need to correct. How? I have not a clue!
    You KNOW you're putting the lives of innocent people at risk, but you do it anyway? WHY?!

The solution is so simple it shouldn't even need to be stated, much less debated: JUST IGNORE THE DAMN PHONE FOR A FEW MINUTES!

Our family adopted a "no phone while driving" policy years ago, back when we were still using flip phones. It's painless, requires no technology upgrades and is so simple even small children can manage it.

• Reply 32 of 32
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    macxpress said:

It's not something that Apple or another company can do on their own, especially if it's left optional. I think it's something that has to be legislated, such as possibly a fairly simple solution like incorporating an NFC chip in the steering wheel that would turn the feature on automatically, ALL the time. The chip would detect that it is indeed the driver and not a passenger that is using the phone. The driver's own phone could therefore also be used by a passenger. It should be mandated that all new cars have this inexpensive feature and that it even be installed immediately at the first offense, similar to alcohol breathalyzers in certain jurisdictions. I will leave it to legislators to allow for some override with certain levels of self-driving features … or not. And if the legislators are too squeamish than maybe the insurance companies could pick up the ball and offer a discount.
    edited April 2018 watto_cobra