Probable 'iPhone SE 2' exposed by European regulatory agency

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    mjtomlin said:
    It is about time!  I am hoping for a flagship SE-2 instead of a budget model that has two year old or later components inside of it and it called "new"!  It a joke to many buyers of the SE because many buyers can easily afford to buy a Mac Pro on impulse if they wanted one with thinking about how much it costs!

Umm, So it had just as much power as Apple's latest flagship model at the time. And when it comes to device longevity it is about how much power it has and what it will be able to support in the future. By sticking an A9 in the SE, they effectively gave it a lifespan that equals a normal upgrade cycle for most people.

In fact, when it was released it was highly reviewed as a great device and the most powerful 4" phone on the market, not to mention more powerful than almost every Android phone being sold.

Having said that, I do understand what you're actually looking for; a 4" flagship model, an iPhone 8 "mini". To which I agree would also be nice, but that's no reason to disparage the SE, which is a really, really good phone. And did exactly what Apple hoped it would do.
    Budget iPhone!
  • Reply 22 of 35
    clarker99clarker99 Posts: 230member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    There are currently 3 iPhone SE SKUs ("US", "Sprint", "China Mobile"), but 7 new iOS SKUs.

iPad Pro running A9X processors were released in June 2017, this would be exactly the right time to release A10X models.

overdue for update: iPod Touch, iPad Mini (both last updated 2015, A8 processors)

3 iPhone SE-2s, iPad Pro 12" and 10", iPod Touch, iPad Mini == 7 SKUs. 
    Would the sprint/USA model need to be registered with ECC?

7 new iOS devices models just seems like a lot. Maybe we get 2 versions of the SE? One that looks the same as the current with spec bump and a new design model with face ID? Idk. Hard to believe the iPhone line-up could get even larger. 

You think the iPod and iPad mini will get a refresh? Couldn’t hurt, I suppose.
    harry wild
  • Reply 23 of 35
    If the SE 2 still has a headphone jack and gets gen 2 touch ID then I'd be tempted to upgrade from my 6s. It definitely isn't the upgrade I expected to be making though.
    edited April 2018 baconstangaylk
  • Reply 24 of 35
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    It is about time!  I am hoping for a flagship SE-2 instead of a budget model that has two year old or later components inside of it and it called "new"!  It a joke to many buyers of the SE because many buyers can easily afford to buy a Mac Pro on impulse if they wanted one with thinking about how much it costs!
    For a sub-HD resolution phone with 4" diagonal, I don't understand why someone would need A11 to power it? It is not as-if all the graphics benchmarks are sub-par with A9. They are already top-notch (with very high frame rates). A10 itself is almost an overkill for the 4" phones. But I can understand that an upgrade of SoC needs to be there for a new model, so my guess is that Apple would go with A10 for SE2. A10 is not going to be slow even for 4 more years (at least when compared to competition at that price point). I don't see the new SE2 having A11. In my view, if Apple can increase the RAM from 2GB to 3GB or 4GB, that would provide long-term benefits when the phone gets future versions of iOS. And base storage should start with 64GB, hopefully.
    You could say the same thing about an 8" iPhone. Screen size has almost no bearing at all on CPU speed or vice versa. A11 would be good for SE 2 for the same reason that it's good for iPhone X — app performance.
    baconstangsdbryanaylkharry wild
  • Reply 25 of 35
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    clarker99 said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    Would the sprint/USA model need to be registered with ECC?

7 new iOS devices models just seems like a lot. Maybe we get 2 versions of the SE? One that looks the same as the current with spec bump and a new design model with face ID? Idk. Hard to believe the iPhone line-up could get even larger. 

You think the iPod and iPad mini will get a refresh? Couldn’t hurt, I suppose.
    Beats me, man, that's just a theory to explain 7 SKUs of new products running iOS devices. The numbers make sense.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    adm1 said:
    The SE is the smallest iPhone and a cheap entry into the iOS ecosystem.  I know many who have absolutely no desire for more features than the SE’s. It is/was a perfect product for many people.  
    that "cheap-entry" position has been taken by the abundance of top quality "refurbs" on the market now. If some other people don't need "more" than the current SE, then I'm sure Apple will continue to sell the current SE to fill that market also. For the rest of us favouring a 4" iPhone, we crave decent specs at any price. 
    I don’t understand your argument.  Are you trying to claim that I’m “wrong” because of (1) unsubstantiated claims of a preference for referbs; and (2) that the preferences of some outweighs the preferences of others?  If Apple was continuing to sell the current SE, wouldn’t there be evidence for that?
  • Reply 27 of 35
    command_fcommand_f Posts: 422member
    Size matters. I bought my SE for its size but the fact that it had a balanced subset of the then 'latest' technology was also important.

I shall buy a new SE if the size is right and it has a reasonable subset of 8/X technology. I am more likely to buy than some because I bought my SE when 64GB was the limit and I really needed/need more so that would be a big draw for me too (I won't consider a 128GB SE because that feels too late in the lifecycle).

Impatient now...
    harry wild
  • Reply 28 of 35
    SE with upgraded internals perhaps better screen and 3d touch please 3d touch would be delicious on a small phone.. wireless charging no big deal could take a pass on that but Tim otherwise keep it the same and its golden take my money MR Cook. I love my SE !
    aylkharry wild
  • Reply 29 of 35
    mbenz1962mbenz1962 Posts: 171member
    I bought my wife the SE during the Black Friday sale of 2016.  She just cannot be convinced to jump to a larger phone and I half think she would go back to the smaller iPhone 4S 3.5" size if she could.  She doesn't plug her phone in many nights because she just can't be bothered to fumble with the cable at night once she is in the bed, leading to "low battery" days more than a few times.  She has been lusting over Qi charging ever since the rumors started circulating about it's inclusion in the iPhone 8 and X because she can just "set it down" to charge.  I pre-ordered the RED iPhone 8 and a Qi stand for the night table and when she observed the convenience up close and in person, I thought for sure this would push her over the edge to a "bigger" phone, but no dice.  I'm 100% positive if the SE2 features Qi compatibility we will be getting her one this year.  If it is water resistant like the other new phones, then I will push up the time frame and get it before our summer beach vacation.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    If the SE 2 still has a headphone jack and gets gen 2 touch ID then I'd be tempted to upgrade from my 6s. It definitely isn't the upgrade I expected to be making though.
    In order to pack more into the smaller SE to bring it up to even close to the current larger iPhones, the headphone jack would need to go to make more room internally, just like it did in the larger iPhones -- but even more so in the SE. Gen 2 Touch ID? Check. Headphone jack, not as likely.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    aylkaylk Posts: 54member
    mac_128 said:
    In order to pack more into the smaller SE to bring it up to even close to the current larger iPhones, the headphone jack would need to go to make more room internally, just like it did in the larger iPhones -- but even more so in the SE. Gen 2 Touch ID? Check. Headphone jack, not as likely.
    They didn't remove the headphone jack to get more internal space. It was replaced by a plastic placeholder called "a barometric vent". Chips are way smaller now than 2 years ago. It would be awesome if we get the jack, but you know, Apple gotta find ways to sell more of those high margin bluetooth headphones...
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 32 of 35
         It's comforting to see so many advocates of the smaller phone preference.  I also have no interest or desire to carry a small laptop around in my pants pocket.  I have an SE that satisfies my needs, and a smaller new 5s as a backup. (Given to me as a gift a couple years ago.)  I would step up if Apple were to produce a phone that maintains the compact design, and offer the significant upgrades that have already been mentioned. The feel and weight of the SE are just right for me.  I am not a wealthy man, but price takes a back seat to the compact design.  If or when Apple decides that this size phone is no longer a viable product, I will sadly move on, as I believe many others will. 
  • Reply 33 of 35
    The ideal SE2 would would have A11, 3GB, upto 256GB flash, edgeless display and face id.  We shall see what is released!
  • Reply 34 of 35
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    It’s like calling a Canadian agency “American”. While technically correct...well...it’s weird.
    It’s weird only because the “europeanness” of Russia was ritually murdered in 1918.
    And btw what if this Russian “FCC” is damaging an American company on purpose with these leaks? Calling it “European” fails to give the full picture.
    Stop watching CNN. They’ve done this before; it’s a matter of the public release of data. I’m quite happy about it, because it means that I can now direct my best friend to waiting to buy an SE until this comes out. Apple still gets its money and he becomes a happier person. How is that “damaging”?
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 35 of 35
    wandersowanderso Posts: 116member
    tokyojimu said:
    wanderso said:
    I carry 2 iPhones in 2 different carrier networks. One for work (7s Plus) and my trusty iPhone 5s. I got the 7s [...]

Are you sure? There is no such phone as a “7s”.
    Sorry. Typo. 7+