Ill-informed YouTuber bemoans Apple repair policies after breaking iMac Pro

Comments

• Reply 101 of 290
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Vizkos said:
    The crux of the issue is that Apple does not sell individual parts for people to do it themselves, instead requiring people to go to "authorized technicians".  But if those authorized technicians refuse to fix it, you're SOL on a product you own.  Regardless of whether or not he is "ill informed", that issue still remains.  
    Authorized technicians -- accurate.

Refuse to fix it -- the criteria in which an item may not get fixed are not only discussed in the article, but spelled out in the terms of service. If you break it because you're tinkering, Apple is under no obligation to fix it, even if you want to pay for it. Never has been, never will be. This is in every manufacturer's terms of service. Samsung, Dell, HP, everybody.

Seemed like that might have been a salient point to mention in the video.
    edited April 2018 liquidmarkbaconstangandrewj5790racerhomie3
  • Reply 102 of 290
    Soli said:
    Jason_D said:
    foggyhill said:
    Jason_D said:
    What i found rather funny is that shortly before i'd seen Linus post this video i had been having my morning coffee with a co-worker and for whatever reason i had been telling him about Linus' original video reviewing the IMac Pro (Which obviously lead to it's damage). 1 of the points he made, was that there is no video in. So down the line when you want to upgrade you can't even get extra use out of the machine by using is as a 2nd monitor. This is a rather deliberate choice by Apple to create Forced Obsolescence. It's rather shady and definitely Anti-Consumer. This issue he's now having has the same smell of even more Forced Obsolescence.
    Another load of BS, go back to PC land, you never owned a Mac in your own damn life and just spouting to hear yourself talk.
    Just because you don't like what i said, doesn't make it BS. It was the truth and a very good point that Linus originally made about the product. 

Attacking someones credentials as opposed to the content of what was said is a terribly weak way to try and put forth an argument. I assume you have never made a single comment about any product on earth that you have never owned, that seems just a little unlikely.
    You are correct. It's not BS because he didn't like you said, it's BS because you're claiming that including a display in a product is "shady and definitely Anti-Consumer." Not liking what you said is a result of you writing a bunch of BS.
    You tried to compare an extremely pricey desktop PC to an apple watch, apples to oranges, to try and make a point that fits your own narrative. Sooooo who's talking BS? haha
  • Reply 103 of 290
    Jason_D said:
    Jason_D said:
    What i found rather funny is that shortly before i'd seen Linus post this video i had been having my morning coffee with a co-worker and for whatever reason i had been telling him about Linus' original video reviewing the IMac Pro (Which obviously lead to it's damage). 1 of the points he made, was that there is no video in. So down the line when you want to upgrade you can't even get extra use out of the machine by using is as a 2nd monitor. This is a rather deliberate choice by Apple to create Forced Obsolescence. It's rather shady and definitely Anti-Consumer. This issue he's now having has the same smell of even more Forced Obsolescence.
    Huh? So you’re expecting to use a computer forever?
    No. The point was you can't use the screen independently to the computer part of it. Once your done with the internals, the screen is just as obsolete. If you could input signal then you could at least use is as a monitor after upgrading
    By the time the machine becomes completely unusable, entry level iMacs will probably boast resolutions greater than 5k.
    StrangeDaysbaconstangTuubor
  • Reply 104 of 290
    Hey everybody, appreciate you coming by, even if you disagree with the crux of the article.

Take a minute and read the commenting guidelines conveniently linked at the bottom of the page. We have rules, and have moderated out a lot of comments, new and veteran AI reader alike for violating those terms.

In short, if you're currently in a squabble, stop. If you're here just to bitch and moan, and aren't interested in conversation, don't bother.
    macseekermuthuk_vanalingamracerhomie3
  • Reply 105 of 290
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Jason_D said:
    Soli said:
    Jason_D said:
    foggyhill said:
    Jason_D said:
    Another load of BS, go back to PC land, you never owned a Mac in your own damn life and just spouting to hear yourself talk.
    Just because you don't like what i said, doesn't make it BS. It was the truth and a very good point that Linus originally made about the product. 

Attacking someones credentials as opposed to the content of what was said is a terribly weak way to try and put forth an argument. I assume you have never made a single comment about any product on earth that you have never owned, that seems just a little unlikely.
    You are correct. It's not BS because he didn't like you said, it's BS because you're claiming that including a display in a product is "shady and definitely Anti-Consumer." Not liking what you said is a result of you writing a bunch of BS.
    You tried to compare an extremely pricey desktop PC to an apple watch, apples to oranges, to try and make a point that fits your own narrative. Sooooo who's talking BS? haha
    Oh, so this is now an issue about price? So you think the $10k gold Apple Watch (which far exceeds the base price of the iMac) should have a removable display but not he $350 Apple Watch Sport? Is that the narrative you now want to press about which CE products should be required to have certain components removable so they can be placed onto other products in the future they're above some price ceiling that you decide on a whim? Where would a MacBook Pro fall since they start and stop within the range of an iMac?
    edited April 2018 liquidmarkbaconstang
  • Reply 106 of 290
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Vizkos said:
    The crux of the issue is that Apple does not sell individual parts for people to do it themselves, instead requiring people to go to "authorized technicians".  But if those authorized technicians refuse to fix it, you're SOL on a product you own.  Regardless of whether or not he is "ill informed", that issue still remains.  
    Authorized technicians -- accurate.

Refuse to fix it -- the criteria in which an item may not get fixed are not only discussed in the article, but spelled out in the terms of service. If you break it because you're tinkering, Apple is under no obligation to fix it, even if you want to pay for it. Never has been, never will be. This is in every manufacturer's terms of service. Samsung, Dell, HP, everybody.

Seemed like that might have been a salient point to mention in the video.
    They seemingly basically manipulated components... While plugged in!! probably the only thing not blown was the frame.
    This computer was a total goner, even if you replaced all fried parts, everything else would be iffy (though I suppose the motherboard shorting protected the SSD as a very expensive breaker).
  • Reply 107 of 290
    Soli said:
    Helio4k said:
    Dosent matter if the damage was physically or not the part's should be awailable to be purchased at full retail price with no hassle. Apple knows they are the only ones that produce the parts for this contraption and that they can do whatever they want, but if I am not mistaken this is how Apple excerpt control over their hardware. Bad practice shame on you. As for Linus just go and buy a new one if you still want to support Apple. 
    So you think Apple should be required by law to have some sort of depot website where you could, say, by each any every individual part of a HomePod for self assembly like LEGO?
    I think the idea is that Apple should sell parts so they can make Macs from scratch any old kinda way and screw apple. Completely illogical. What’s in it for Apple to do that? Their strength is in the fact that they make/design the hardware that they make/design. If they want pcs, they should go buy pcs
    racerhomie3
  • Reply 108 of 290
    jSnively said:
    They present it as a simple cracked screen in the video, which is very misleading. If you watch the whole thing they very clearly state they need a new screen, motherboard, and PSU.
    As my last post was deleted by mods (great Apple culture here) guess I'll just repeat myself.  In the chat log between Apple, he said that at a minimum the screen would need to be fixed and they verified that the PSU is still providing power to the board (MOBO?). 

Again, awesome censorship here, would not expect anything less.
  • Reply 109 of 290
    Soli said:
    Jason_D said:
    Soli said:
    Jason_D said:
    foggyhill said:
    Jason_D said:

Oh, so this is now an issue about price? So you think the $10k gold Apple Watch (which far exceeds the base price of the iMac) should have a removable display but not he $350 Apple Watch Sport? Is that the narrative you now want to press about which CE products should be required to have certain components removable so they can be placed onto other products in the future they're above some price ceiling that you decide on a whim? Where would a MacBook Pro fall since they start and stop within the range of an iMac?
    You keep saying 'removable'. Please re-read my comment before making inaccurate assertions. And the apple watch stuff is just sillyness and you know it.

Linus' critique was that a display input would allow you to use it as a standalone monitor once you've moved from from the current internals. You could use it as a 2nd monitor to go with your new IMac for example.
  • Reply 110 of 290
    Soli said:
    Helio4k said:
    Dosent matter if the damage was physically or not the part's should be awailable to be purchased at full retail price with no hassle. Apple knows they are the only ones that produce the parts for this contraption and that they can do whatever they want, but if I am not mistaken this is how Apple excerpt control over their hardware. Bad practice shame on you. As for Linus just go and buy a new one if you still want to support Apple. 
    So you think Apple should be required by law to have some sort of depot website where you could, say, by each any every individual part of a HomePod for self assembly like LEGO?
    I think the idea is that Apple should sell parts so they can make Macs from scratch any old kinda way and screw apple. Completely illogical. What’s in it for Apple to do that? Their strength is in the fact that they make/design the hardware that they make/design. If they want pcs, they should go buy pcs
    It's not the same thing as the ridiculous statements new accounts are making in this thread, but CA has became the 18th state to propose a Right to Repair bill.

edited April 2018
  • Reply 111 of 290
    jSnively said:
    They present it as a simple cracked screen in the video, which is very misleading. If you watch the whole thing they very clearly state they need a new screen, motherboard, and PSU.
    As my last post was deleted by mods (great Apple culture here) guess I'll just repeat myself.  In the chat log between Apple, he said that at a minimum the screen would need to be fixed and they verified that the PSU is still providing power to the board (MOBO?). 

Nobody moderated your comment. It's on the previous page. The video has already been posted, for the record.

That said, read the commenting guidelines, because this post should get removed in accordance with them.
    edited April 2018 fastasleepracerhomie3pscooter63baconstangmacseekermacxpress
  • Reply 112 of 290
    Jason_D said:
    Soli said:
    Jason_D said:
    Soli said:
    Jason_D said:
    foggyhill said:
    Jason_D said:

You keep saying 'removable'. Please re-read my comment before making inaccurate assertions. And the apple watch stuff is just sillyness and you know it.

Linus' critique was that a display input would allow you to use it as a standalone monitor once you've moved from from the current internals. You could use it as a 2nd monitor to go with your new IMac for example.
    Oh, I think I got it now. You think it's "shady and definitely Anti-Consumer" that Apple isn't building inputs on all their devices so they can all be used as external displays. So, I should be able to say, plug in an otherwise defunct PowerBook from 1995 into my MacBook Pro and use it as an external display? Well that sure seems useful and easy to engineer¡ What could go wrong? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
    edited April 2018 liquidmarkStrangeDays
  • Reply 113 of 290
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Helio4k said:
    It's not the same thing as some brand new accounts are angling for in this thread, but CA became the 18th state to propose a Right to Repair bill.

I understand, but this right to repair nonsense is just that. Nobody's Stopping Linus from repairing his machine. Just that nobody’s helping him. I can think of several reasons why I would not want to touch an oem device that someone else tinkered with. 

A lot of the people arguing over apple not selling him he part are the same sort that endlessly argued that Apple should be open, Apple should release OS X for pc, apple should allow other stores equal billing on their iOS devices, apple should do this or that. It’s obnoxious, really. What they;re really saying is that Apple should be google or Microsoft Or let google or Microsoft dominate on their own platform. Well those companies already exist, so they should go buy those instead of telling Apple what to be and essentially pestering anyone that isn’t on board with their ideologies.
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 114 of 290
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    So, it’s described how they broke the screen, but how did they kill the power supply and logic board in the disassembly?
    That's a good question. They spilled the beans on themselves in the video, and have yet to respond to our emails about it.
    Haha — just watched the video and heard the buzz and saw the huge arc at the beginning, which is what scared him into dropping the display. Not sure how that happened, but he’s lucky he didn’t electrocute himself. 
  • Reply 115 of 290

Nobody moderated your comment. It's on the previous page. The video has already been posted, for the record.

That said, read the commenting guidelines, because this post should get removed in accordance with them.
    WOW, It magically came back.   I'm 100% sure it was removed (or shadow hidden), I can even remember coming across your editorial photo above where my comment was, asking myself why my comment was removed but your photo was allowed to stay.  You have already said it yourself that you don't even like my comment, so it's not impossible to believe it was taken down until I chimed in. 

"The video has already been posted, for the record." ---- Obviously not linked in the article if the article writer doesn't even want it there. 

edited April 2018
  • Reply 116 of 290
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Helio4k said:
    It's not the same thing as some brand new accounts are angling for in this thread, but CA became the 18th state to propose a Right to Repair bill.

I understand, but this right to repair nonsense is just that. Nobody's Stopping Linus from repairing his machine. Just that nobody’s helping him. I can think of several reasons why I would not want to touch an oem device that someone else tinkered with. 

A lot of the people arguing over apple not selling him he part are the same sort that endlessly argued that Apple should be open, Apple should release OS X for pc, apple should allow other stores equal billing on their iOS devices, apple should do this or that. It’s obnoxious, really. What they;re really saying is that Apple should be google or Microsoft Or let google or Microsoft dominate on their own platform. Well those companies already exist, so they should go buy those instead of telling Apple what to be and essentially pestering anyone that isn’t on board with their ideologies.
    Apple said they won't protest unless the bill includes all iPhone parts. There's no upside for Apple. They sell him a part and then it's not the only one that's broken or he decides to return it and then they have to do a bunch of testing and they can't sell it as new again. And this is all likely happening in the US where costs are higher for personnel so at some point you just have to cut your loses and say that this machine isn't worth the effort to fix.

I have an old MBP I'm taking to Apple shortly. The HDD stopped showing up, but the HDD was fine. I bought a replacement cable from a 3rd-party, but it still had the issue so the problem is located somewhere on the logic board itself. Instead of getting a replacement logic board I opted for an adapter to make the ODD bay hold and connect a HDD. Now I get the HDD to show up just fine but I can't get macOS to install. Hopefully Apple can use their USB HDD to get an older version of macOS on it, but ti's a 2008 MBP. If f they can't, then oh well.

I certainly won't be complaining about how the certainly parts of the laptop are still perfectly good if only they were socketed or could be plugged into other devices indefinitely. But I'm a tinkerer. The fun is trying to find solutions to these problems.
    edited April 2018 liquidmark
  • Reply 117 of 290

WOW, It magically came back.   I'm 100% sure it was removed (or shadow hidden), I can even remember coming across your editorial photo above where my comment was, asking myself why my comment was removed but your photo was allowed to stay.  You have already said it yourself that you don't even like my comment, so it's not impossible to believe it was taken down until I chimed in. 

"The video has already been posted, for the record." ---- Obviously not linked in the article if the article writer doesn't even want it there. 

Your first comment was fine and broke no rules -- which is why it wasn't moderated. Your second one and this one does. 

So, knock it off.
    edited April 2018 pscooter63muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 118 of 290
    Soli said:
    Jason_D said:
    Soli said:
    Jason_D said:
    Soli said:
    Jason_D said:
    foggyhill said:
    Jason_D said:

Oh, I think I got it now. You think it's "shady and definitely Anti-Consumer" that Apple isn't building inputs on all their devices. So, I should be able to say, plug in an otherwise defunct PowerBook from 1995 into my MacBook Pro and use it as an external display? Well that sure seems useful and easy to engineer¡ What could go wrong? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
    You do realise that people can have differing opinions right? I get that you disagree and that's fine. But trying to make false analogies and misquotations to try and discredit someone else's opinion is really silly. Linus' original video was actually pretty fair and in general he doesn't play favourites, he's ripped a number of manufacturers on all sides of the fence. No one is without sin, fair critiques is how things get better for everyone.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 119 of 290
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    Linus , is just a douche.
    baconstangliquidmark
  • Reply 120 of 290
    Jason_D said:
    Soli said:
    Jason_D said:
    Soli said:
    Jason_D said:
    Soli said:
    Jason_D said:
    foggyhill said:
    Jason_D said:

Oh, I think I got it now. You think it's "shady and definitely Anti-Consumer" that Apple isn't building inputs on all their devices. So, I should be able to say, plug in an otherwise defunct PowerBook from 1995 into my MacBook Pro and use it as an external display? Well that sure seems useful and easy to engineer¡ What could go wrong? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
    You do realise that people can have differing opinions right? I get that you disagree and that's fine. But trying to make false analogies and misquotations to try and discredit someone else's opinion is really silly. Linus' original video was actually pretty fair and in general he doesn't play favourites, he's ripped a number of manufacturers on all sides of the fence. No one is without sin, fair critiques is how things get better for everyone.
    My comments have nothing to do with Linus. My comments are about your ridiculous claims.

As for your "do realise that people can have differing opinions" comment, I'll let Patton Oswalt explain that to you…

This discussion has been closed.