'iPhone SE 2' rumored to retain iPhone 5 styling minus headphone jack, launch in May

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2020
The follow-up to the iPhone SE could be arriving in May, according to one report interviewing accessory producers, but while the overall size and design is said to be the same as the original iPhone SE, it is claimed the headphone jack may be removed from the model in its next release.

iPhone SE

Speaking to iPhone case manufacturers exhibiting at the Global Sources Mobile Electronics tradeshow in Hong Kong, Macotakara claims company representatives are anticipating the second-generation iPhone SE announcement in May. The manufacturers also believe the physical design of the smartphone will be very similar to the previous model, including the continued use of Touch ID instead of switching to Face ID.

On the outside, the continued push by Apple to eliminate the 3.5mm headphone jack is expected to continue, with it removed in favor of a cleaner external appearance. If true, this would make the iPhone 6s range the only iPhones sold by Apple that use the audio connection.

While some rumors point to Qi wireless charging being included in the "iPhone SE 2," the report's discussions suggest it could make an appearance, but there was no conclusive evidence that a glass back will be used to enable the feature.

The report also suggested the adoption of the A10 Fusion chip in the device, which will enable support for HEIF and HEVC media capture.

At present, it isn't clear where the case manufacturers are sourcing data. Historically, Apple has not provided the vast majority of inexpensive accessory manufacturers, like those spoken to by Macotakara, information about unreleased products ahead of time.

The iPhone SE was launched on March 21, 2016, making it a two-year-old smartphone that is probably due to be upgraded soon. It was also launched separately from the main iPhone releases, which are typically revealed in the fall, so a spring unveiling for the "iPhone SE 2" is logical, assuming a two-year replacement cycle.

A regulatory agency in Eurasia disclosed a series of model numbers on Wednesday, but little in the way of hard data about the products. The agency has a 100 percent accuracy in providing model information, but is never a source of product specifics. The filings are made public either just a few days before release or weeks. The "Field Trip" sixth generation iPads were heralded by the regulatory agency about two weeks before the event.

Rumors about an "iPhone SE 2" started cranking up in November, with allegations that it would ship in the first half of 2018 and be manufactured by Wistron in India. More recently, reports suggested that the device would have a glass back, to facilitate Qi charging, like the iPhone 8 family and iPhone X.

Other rumors claim that the "inexpensive smartphone similar to the iPhone SE" will skip "3D sensing," but what that refers to in the rumor is unclear. The existing iPhone SE lacks 3D Touch and any follow-on may as well, but it may also be referring to the TrueDepth camera system at the core of Face ID.

A different report claims that the "iPhone SE 2" will come with the A10 processor, and 2GB of RAM, with 32GB or 128GB storage configurations. When the iPhone SE launched, it had the same processor as the iPhone 6s -- the A9. If Apple is looking at a design philosophy similar to the original iPhone SE, the "iPhone SE 2" may have the A11 Bionic, as debuted in the iPhone 8 and iPhone X.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    KITAKITA Posts: 392member

The report also suggested the adoption of the A10 Fusion chip in the device, which will enable support for HEIF and HEVC media capture.

A different report claims that the "iPhone SE 2" will come with the A10 processor, and 2GB of RAM, with 32GB or 128GB storage configurations. When the iPhone SE launched, it had the same processor as the iPhone 6s -- the A9. If Apple is looking at a design philosophy similar to the original iPhone SE, the "iPhone SE 2" may have the A11 Bionic, as debuted in the iPhone 8 and iPhone X.
    Given the A11 already has considerable thermal limitations in the iPhone 8, fitting it into an SE device probably wouldn't have been a good idea.

The A11 is severely thermally constrained and is only able to achieve these scores when the devices are cold. Indeed as seen from the smaller score of the iPhone 8, the SoC isn’t able to sustain maximum performance for even one benchmark run before having to throttle.

-Anandtech

irelandmuthuk_vanalingamlostkiwi
  • Reply 2 of 39
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    Awesome ! I will wait & see. I have been completely satisfied ,upgrading from a 6 Plus to an SE
    netroxaylklostkiwiwatto_cobra[Deleted User]aegean
  • Reply 3 of 39
    Sign me up! My 5s is getting rather long in the tooth, and I need more storage. 
    king editor the grateirelandairnerdaylklostkiwiwatto_cobra[Deleted User]
  • Reply 4 of 39
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    iPhone SE 2...
    • A11 SoC (clocked lower than 8/8s/X)
    • Touch ID 2
    • 3D Touch support
    • Updated cameras
    • More RAM

Not new... 
    • storage configs
    • display
    • style
    • price

1983aylkwatto_cobrachasm
  • Reply 5 of 39
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Makes sense.

I think SE 2 will see spec bump over SE with improved cameras, A10, better battery life and will ditch headphone jack.

Will not get A11. Will not get 3D Touch. Will not get Touch ID 2.

Display sees slight, but largely insignificant improvements.

Outside chances: price reduced to $329 for 32 GB model, or storage upgrade.
    edited April 2018 muthuk_vanalingamairnerdwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 39
    designr said:
    ireland said:
    Makes sense.

I think SE 2 will see spec bump over SE with improved cameras, A10, better battery life and will ditch headphone jack.

Guessing Apple will go the storage upgrade route before dropping the price.
    Given the current prices I’d say it’s the best guess. They should at least offer a third 256 GB storage choice for those who want it and prefer smaller phones.
    watto_cobra[Deleted User]
  • Reply 7 of 39
    GobnuGobnu Posts: 17member
    Spec bump would be fine by me.  Touch ID 2 would be nice.  Take my money!!  And throw a bone to the iPad mini!  (I'm guessing lots of people like me that use the SE still like the iPad mini form factor as well.  It just doesn't make much sense for a 8 or X user since the screen isn't that much larger...)
    harry wildirelandwatto_cobra[Deleted User]raoulduke42
  • Reply 8 of 39
    KITA said:

Given the A11 already has considerable thermal limitations in the iPhone 8, fitting it into an SE device probably wouldn't have been a good idea.
    The SE-2 will not have the heavy load of the iPhone 8 since will not have the high end camera for 4K@60 hertz!  A11 is even a much thinner wafer I think 10nm then then the A10 which is a 14nm thickness.  In other words, the A11 used less energy and therefore better thermal efficiency then the A10!
    aylklibertyforall
  • Reply 9 of 39
    Lets see if 3d touch replaces headphone jack then ok but if they remove HF jack for no reason then they can keep it. you see I'm just fine wth the removal of HFjack but not simply for wireless charging or "cleaner look" no thanks Craig. Add 3D t support Tim and you'll have my cash money. make it so Captain C 
    aylk
  • Reply 10 of 39
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    ireland said:
    Makes sense.

I would buy that in a literal heartbeat.  If I don't end up liking it I can go back to my 6 and have a great insurance phone around the house.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 39

Please keep the the headphone jack or lose customers- I will be the first-

• With normal use, headsets offer substantial reductions in SAR compared with conventional cell phone use, where the phone, rather than a headset, is held against the head.
    aylkbaconstang
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator

• With normal use, headsets offer substantial reductions in SAR compared with conventional cell phone use, where the phone, rather than a headset, is held against the head.
    Well good thing there's NSBE on holding a phone to your head, then, huh? I completely understand ALARA, but there is literally no scientific reason to flip out about RF.
    edited April 2018 watto_cobra[Deleted User]
  • Reply 13 of 39
    Gobnu said:
    Spec bump would be fine by me.  Touch ID 2 would be nice.  Take my money!!  And throw a bone to the iPad mini!  (I'm guessing lots of people like me that use the SE still like the iPad mini form factor as well.  It just doesn't make much sense for a 8 or X user since the screen isn't that much larger...)
    I gave you a like there on your first comment; this comment, however I like and use an SE but prefer full sized iPads. I never did get the mini form factor tbh, and now that regular sized iPads are thinner and lighter than when iPad 1 launched, the full size makes even more sense. Only Apple knows how many are buying iPad mini. Some adults surely like the size (some SE owners like you suggest), but I guess it's more popular with younger teens and children. In that sense if it is popular with a certain age segment, Apple should give it an update to future proof the product for those putting money down on them. MBA user, personally.
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 14 of 39
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    I don't understand this attitude at all. If you use junky earbuds, great news, iPhones come with a pair of lightning Earpods. If you use good headphones, they'll have a swappable cord that you can replace with — wait for it — a cord with a lightning plug. https://www.amazon.com/Lightning-Headphone-Adapter-Support-Kupx/dp/B07B6KZB9X

Not being able to listen and charge at the same time seems like kind of a bizarre edge case to me, but if we get wireless charging then even that's moot.
    edited April 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 39
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,721member
    ireland said:
    Gobnu said:
    I gave you a like there on your first comment; this comment, however I like and use an SE but prefer full sized iPads. I never did get the mini form factor tbh, and now that regular sized iPads are thinner and lighter than when iPad 1 launched, the full size makes even more sense. Only Apple knows how many are buying iPad mini. Some adults surely like the size (some SE owners like you suggest), but I guess it's more popular with younger teens and children. In that sense if it is popular with a certain age segment, Apple should give it an update to future proof the product for those putting money down on them. MBA user, personally.
    Two reasons I found for using the iPad mini:
    1.readng. More comfortable to hold than the 9.7 and sufficient text per page. 
    2. First use of iOS device of my 2 year old. Easier to handle  for her and big enough as well. 

aylkmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 39
    aylkaylk Posts: 54member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    I don't understand this attitude at all. If you use junky earbuds, great news, iPhones come with a pair of lightning Earpods. If you use good headphones, they'll have a swappable cord that you can replace with — wait for it — a cord with a lightning plug. https://www.amazon.com/Lightning-Headphone-Adapter-Support-Kupx/dp/B07B6KZB9X

Not being able to listen and charge at the same time seems like kind of a bizarre edge case to me, but if we get wireless charging then even that's moot.
    Bizarre edge case? Boring, you must never travel too far from an outlet...
  • Reply 17 of 39
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    Headphone jack going isn’t a big deal at all, can’t say I’m missed it once since I upgraded to from 6 to 7 and lost it, This new SE sounds like a good phone and I’m sure the older people in my family who aren’t tech geeks like me will be buying it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 39
    aylk said:

Bizarre edge case? Boring, you must never travel too far from an outlet...
    I've been listening to music all day (airpods), just got home and have about 60% battery left. Maybe get yours replaced while Apple is still running a discount?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 39
    ireland said:
    Gobnu said:
    Two reasons I found for using the iPad mini:
    1.readng. More comfortable to hold than the 9.7 and sufficient text per page. 
    2. First use of iOS device of my 2 year old. Easier to handle  for her and big enough as well. 
    As I said I can understand how kids would be suited to it. Hence why Apple should not let the product linger. But I wouldn’t read a book on an iPad anyway. 
  • Reply 20 of 39
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    ireland said:
    Makes sense.

Definitely have to disagree with them not using the A11. This model is all about future proofing, which is why it originally shipped with the latest SoC, the A9... And the SE2 will follow the same two year upgrade path. This is especially true if Apple is serious about AR and AI.

Going from an A9 to an A10 is NOT a good enough upgrade after two years... and in two years time when they release the SE 3, the A10 will be fairly old.

So, the SE 2 will have an A11.
    baconstangwatto_cobra