Ill-informed YouTuber bemoans Apple repair policies after breaking iMac Pro

Comments

• Reply 201 of 290
    DuhSesame said:
    DuhSesame said:

How're they gonna fix it?
    That’s really Linus’ problem to figure out. If he’s in the mood, I might be willing to take that broken iMac Pro off his hands for $500. He won’t have to look at his shame anymore and he’ll have $500. You can buy a lot of Kleenex with $500
    Or maybe he should told his employee that fixing any craps with power, should be disconnected first.
    Then there won't be any problem.

Ten years of IT, pfft.
    There’s e thing that I’ve noticed that’s true in the case of Linus and his circle. Being a ‘pro user’ on PC doesn’t count for jack on a Mac.
  • Reply 202 of 290
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    DuhSesame said:
    DuhSesame said:

That’s really Linus’ problem to figure out. If he’s in the mood, I might be willing to take that broken iMac Pro off his hands for $500. He won’t have to look at his shame anymore and he’ll have $500. You can buy a lot of Kleenex with $500
    Or maybe he should told his employee that fixing any craps with power, should be disconnected first.

Ten years of IT, pfft.
    There’s e thing that I’ve noticed that’s true in the case of Linus and his circle. Being a ‘pro user’ on PC doesn’t count for jack on a Mac.
    Well, you know what, their fans just pissed off because it's Apple.
    It might be Apple's fault in some other repair cases, but LLT?

It's almost like he hammered the thing, and then say it's the manufacturer's fault that won't clean up his mess.  The more that I understand about this stupid case, makes me thinks that anyone who on his side is a complete idiot. 

And in the end, I still can't believe even my buddies on my own groups believe Linus did nothing wrong, ruins my day.
    edited April 2018 liquidmark
  • Reply 203 of 290
    DuhSesame said:
    DuhSesame said:
    DuhSesame said:

Ten years of IT, pfft.

It's almost like he hammered the thing, and then say it's the manufacturer's fault that won't clean up his mess.  The more that I understand about this stupid case, makes me thinks that anyone who on his side is a complete idiot. 

And in the end, I still can't believe even my buddies on my own groups believe Linus did nothing wrong, ruins my day.
    Yeah, I will never understand their irrational hate of Apple. Theres an audience for people that bash on Apple. That’s why Linus does stuff like this. So his fan can nod in agreement and hate Apple because *they’re so mean and greedy and wrong*. I see his fans say “no company would *ever** do this!!” and I have to wonder if they have ever had to get something repaired in their lives.
  • Reply 204 of 290
    DuhSesame said:
    DuhSesame said:
    DuhSesame said:

Ten years of IT, pfft.

Yeah, I will never understand their irrational hate of Apple. Theres an audience for people that bash on Apple. That’s why Linus does stuff like this. So his fan can nod in agreement and hate Apple because *they’re so mean and greedy and wrong*. I see his fans say “no company would *ever** do this!!” and I have to wonder if they have ever had to get something repaired in their lives.
    Well actually Linus himself wasn’t that bad when it comes to bashing, but that doesn’t mean he is right in this case.  That’s just very unprofessional what he did this time, and certainly flames what it shouldn’t be.  I had respect on him before, but from now on, probably have to think twice.

On the other hand, it’s always the “PC” fanboys that’s the most ridiculous.  I’ve seen a lot of flame wars, and certainly can guarantee that.  Think about how many people use Windows.

I’d use to think many times people just people, and they have the right to not like Apple products, but should understand different person favors different things.  Oh no, if you’re a Mac user, they will turn hostile seconds after.  You can’t even have anything that’s common, and they just want to believe what they believe.
  • Reply 205 of 290
    DuhSesame said:
    liquidmark said:
    DuhSesame said:
    liquidmark said:
    DuhSesame said:
    liquidmark said:
    DuhSesame said:

Ten years of IT, pfft.
    Well, you know what, their fans just pissed off because it's Apple.

Well actually Linus himself wasn’t that bad when it comes to bashing, but that doesn’t mean he is right in this case.  That’s just very unprofessional what he did this time, and certainly flames what it shouldn’t be.  I had respect on him before, but from now on, probably have to think twice.

On the other hand, it’s always the “PC” fanboys that’s the most ridiculous.  I’ve seen a lot of flame wars, and certainly can guarantee that.  Think about how many people use Windows.

I’d use to think many times people just people, and they have the right to not like Apple products, but should understand different person favors different things.  Oh no, if you’re a Mac user, they will turn hostile seconds after.  You can’t even have anything that’s common, and they just want to believe what they believe.

I don’t know where the hostility comes from. Like, I spend zero hours in my day thinking about whatever they’re using and try to have realistic expectations of how companies operate and conduct business. But with them, it’s like they’re “Bizarro Mr. A” whenever they hear anything at all related to Apple that’s presented as apple being successful and Oscar the grouch anytime Apple does something noteworthy. I just don’t get it.

Mr A page for reference:

edited April 2018
  • Reply 206 of 290
    DuhSesame said:
    liquidmark said:
    DuhSesame said:
    liquidmark said:
    DuhSesame said:
    liquidmark said:
    DuhSesame said:

Ten years of IT, pfft.

I don’t know where the hostility comes from. Like, I spend zero hours in my day thinking about whatever they’re using and try to have realistic expectations of how companies operate and conduct business. But with them, it’s like they’re “Bizarro Mr. A” whenever they hear anything at all related to Apple that’s presented as apple being successful and Oscar the grouch anytime Apple does something noteworthy. I just don’t get it.

Mr A page for reference:

Hey, guess what, looks like he's not going to quit, and blaming us being way too fanboyism.

At least from the title, that's what it looks like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS88Jt3r8rM
  • Reply 207 of 290

DuhSesame said:
    liquidmark said:
    DuhSesame said:
    liquidmark said:
    DuhSesame said:
    liquidmark said:
    DuhSesame said:

Ten years of IT, pfft.

Mr A page for reference:

I'll tell you what, if he still think he's damn right, he can sue Apple for that instead of just stirring up their own fanboys.

But apparently he won't. 
  • Reply 208 of 290
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    DuhSesame said:
    DuhSesame said:
    liquidmark said:
    DuhSesame said:
    liquidmark said:
    DuhSesame said:
    liquidmark said:
    DuhSesame said:

Ten years of IT, pfft.

Mr A page for reference:

Hey, guess what, looks like he's not going to quit, and blaming us being way too fanboyism.

Do they really bitch about it for an hour? 🤦‍♀️
    liquidmark
  • Reply 209 of 290
    Soli said:
    DuhSesame said:
    DuhSesame said:
    liquidmark said:
    DuhSesame said:
    liquidmark said:
    DuhSesame said:
    liquidmark said:
    DuhSesame said:

Ten years of IT, pfft.

Mr A page for reference:

Hehehe.
  • Reply 210 of 290
    Soli said:
    DuhSesame said:
    DuhSesame said:
    liquidmark said:
    DuhSesame said:
    liquidmark said:
    DuhSesame said:
    liquidmark said:
    DuhSesame said:

Ten years of IT, pfft.

Mr A page for reference:

He knows that if he sue, he'll probably lose.  So the only thing he could do is stirring up fanboys, blaming us the "iSheep".
    liquidmark
  • Reply 211 of 290
    You guys do realize that Apple's terms and conditions for repairs apply to warranty-only cases, right? This whole situation was very obviously not a warranty case, so the terms and conditions do not apply. On the other hand, if Linus had purchased the special repair entitlement ticket known as AppleCare, he would have ended up getting a new iMac Pro anyway, regardless of what was done to his machine. So, I have to ask, what is the point of citing Apple's terms and conditions for repair work when it doesn't even apply to this situation?

• Reply 212 of 290
    majorslmajorsl Posts: 119unconfirmed, member
    You guys do realize that Apple's terms and conditions for repairs apply to warranty-only cases, right? This whole situation was very obviously not a warranty case, so the terms and conditions do not apply. On the other hand, if Linus had purchased the special repair entitlement ticket known as AppleCare, he would have ended up getting a new iMac Pro anyway, regardless of what was done to his machine. So, I have to ask, what is the point of citing Apple's terms and conditions for repair work when it doesn't even apply to this situation?

Those that didn't should probably watch that segment of the show, just like I did.  It's not the full hour, just a segment at the first 1/3rd or so.
  • Reply 213 of 290
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    majorsl said:

Those that didn't should probably watch that segment of the show, just like I did.  It's not the full hour, just a segment at the first 1/3rd or so.
    Those aren’t just warranty terms and conditions - they’re service terms too. Plus, AppleCare+ can and does get voided for consumer disassembly and abuse beyond accidental damage too.

Specifically, section 1.8.iv applies.

https://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/terms/repair/generalservice/servicetermsen/

• Reply 214 of 290
    DuhSesame said:
    DuhSesame said:
    liquidmark said:
    DuhSesame said:
    liquidmark said:
    DuhSesame said:
    liquidmark said:
    DuhSesame said:

Ten years of IT, pfft.

Mr A page for reference:

I saw that video. I’m not sure Linus knows what he was getting into costwise when he broke his Mac. He’s sitting there snarking like it’s no big deal and it should cost pennies. Dude should really try asking actual Mac users what’s up instead of thinking it’s just a pc. 

It’s a general rule for service in general, not just under warranty. The warranty just says Apple won’t pay for user caused damages. As stated above AppleCare+ only covers accidental. There’s no provision or law or anything that I’m aware of to bind people to service in cases where they purposefully did something that caused damage or harm. I guess maybe in the medical field or something, but with tech, not a chance. 

It is very naive to believe that a company can/should be compelled or forced to service anything that’s not under warranty just because one states they are is willing to pay for a repair. It’s not apples fault that linus’ computer is dead.

DuhSesame said:

liquidmark said:
    DuhSesame said:
    liquidmark said:
    DuhSesame said:
    liquidmark said:
    DuhSesame said:
    liquidmark said:
    DuhSesame said:

Ten years of IT, pfft.

Mr A page for reference:

I'll tell you what, if he still think he's damn right, he can sue Apple for that instead of just stirring up their own fanboys.

But apparently he won't. 

If he sues, he might get slapped with a countersuit for loudly misrepresenting apple’s service to millions of people in public forum.

DuhSesame said:
    Soli said:
    DuhSesame said:
    liquidmark said:
    DuhSesame said:
    liquidmark said:
    DuhSesame said:
    liquidmark said:
    DuhSesame said:
    liquidmark said:
    DuhSesame said:

Ten years of IT, pfft.

Mr A page for reference:

He knows that if he sue, he'll probably lose.  So the only thing he could do is stirring up fanboys, blaming us the "iSheep".

It’s really outstanding. It’s like a bunch of muscle car enthusiasts snarking at a bunch of people in a mclaren owners car club for saying that owning a mclaren (a legit professional race car) can break your back if you’re foolish and it’s not a toy. 
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 215 of 290
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    The cost of individual parts and labour can easily cost more than buying a new computer. This is why, when I crashed my 4 year old car a few years back, the insurance company wrote it off as the cost of the new wing, bumper, lighting unit and respray would have cost more than the car was worth. 
  • Reply 216 of 290
    manman Posts: 1member
    What is the pint of this article? Everything they said in the video was factually correct and they had every right to be shocked and disappointed at apples service. Here, I'll try to drive some traffic their way:
    edited April 2018 MorganEarp
  • Reply 217 of 290
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    crosslad said:
    The cost of individual parts and labour can easily cost more than buying a new computer. This is why, when I crashed my 4 year old car a few years back, the insurance company wrote it off as the cost of the new wing, bumper, lighting unit and respray would have cost more than the car was worth. 
    You really think the display panel, PSU and (maybe) motherboard cost more than (minimum) $5000?

Really?

Besides which, this was not the stated reason, so is irrelevant.
    MorganEarp
  • Reply 218 of 290
    crowley said:
    crosslad said:
    You really think the display panel, PSU and (maybe) motherboard cost more than (minimum) $5000?

Really?

They do. 

FTA, and confirmed with four different, independent sources, the panel and motherboard ordered from Apple, with a return of the core and broken part costs $5200. Labor will add to that, and parts markup by a shop could make it even more.
    fastasleepjSnively
  • Reply 219 of 290

man said:
    What is the pint of this article? Everything they said in the video was factually correct and they had every right to be shocked and disappointed at apples service. Here, I'll try to drive some traffic their way:
    Yup, they did have every right to be shocked and disappointed.

And, we've got every right to call them out on the video lacking key pieces of detail and inserting bogus assumptions that they once again doubled down on in an interview this weekend.

liquidmark
  • Reply 220 of 290
    man said:
    They said that no certification to service the iMac Pro. That’s false as AASP techs have come forward on their thread on their site and stated that they’ve been had certification and have been working on iMac pros.

They said that Apple said they’d have them “up in a jiffy”. No proof of that in the video. The rep said off The break that Apple typically doesn’t service machines that have been tampered with this way. 

Linus is supposed to have been a tech for ten years. He has no place to be surprised.

linus used a terribly poor analogy. What he did was akin to buying an expensive car, purposefully taking it completely apart for no reason of any importance and messing up terribly bad with reassembly to the point that it is toast. 

linus said it was an accident but the actions that led to the break were purposeful and the results are a natural consequence of his purposeful choice. 

What did he think apple would do? Give him kisses and chocolate?

Linus is acting like a spoiled child. I’m shocked and dissapointed that so many people bought his hoodwink.

crowley said:
    crosslad said:

Really?

If Apple had received a machine in that state of non-functionality under a valid warranty, they would not have repaired it. They would have replaced it. If apple would have replaced it on their dime then it’s clear what linus should do with his dime if he wants a working iMac Pro. Buy a new one.

Apple told Linus no. He insists that Apple wouldn’t send parts to the Apple store but it’s not shown in their video. In fact, it doesn’t sound right because Apple is notoriously tight-lipped about what HQ is or isn’t doing or anything concerning parts availability. This is through their training.

In fact, a great deal of things that linus and his guys claim Apple said or promised them aren’t in the video. even the bit about the AASP not having certification isn’t verified as far as I can tell. It’s just his employees talking. Why didn’t he go do an interview of those guys and plug their shop?

The reason why everyone keeps talking about the cost of the repair is because it’s very obvious, to anybody that’s ever actually had a Mac serviced and paid attention, that repairing this computer would cost more than just buying a new one between parts and labor. Hey, getting a new logicboard in a MacBook Pro alone can sometimes cost almost as much as buying a new MacBook. Definetly over half the cost of a new machine all by itself.
    edited April 2018 palladium
This discussion has been closed.