Apple's Earth Day Beer Bash features solar-powered Ziggy Marley performance

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple invited employees to celebrate Earth Day with a Beer Bash at its One Infinite Loop headquarters in Cupertino, Calif., on Friday, an event featuring a performance by Grammy-winning reggae artist Ziggy Marley.

Ziggy Marley at Apple HQ
Ziggy Marley performs at Apple's Earth Day Beer Bash. | Source: Lisa Jackson via Twitter

As usual, those in attendance shared pictures of the event via social media outlets like Twitter and Instagram.

CEO Tim Cook, who invited Marley onstage after a short address, and VP of Environment, Policy and Social Initiatives Lisa Jackson thanked the musician for attending and included photos of the set in a pair of tweets posted after the performance.

In a tweeted response, Marley thanked Cook for the opportunity, heaping praise on Apple's environmental efforts.

"[G]ive thanks @tim_cook for having us[.] we had a bag of fun today it was my first set fully powered by solar energy. thank you for the example you set for companies around the world. #apple is fully solar. #earthday," Marley said.

Apple earlier this month announced its global infrastructure runs on 100 percent renewable energy. From retail stores to data centers and office buildings, including the new Apple Park headquarters, Apple's entire operation is powered by renewable sources like solar, wind, biogas fuel cells and micro-hydro generation systems.

Marley appended his tweet by tagging Conservation International's account, an organization with which Apple is partnering as part of ongoing environmental efforts.

On Thursday, Apple unveiled a series of Earth Day initiatives including a new GiveBack trade-in program that allows customers to trade-in their old device for an Apple Store Gift Card or free recycling. To celebrate Earth Day, Apple will make a donation to Conservation International for every device received through April 30.

In addition to the GiveBack program, Apple introduced a new version of its iPhone recycling robot. Named Daisy, the updated machine can dismantle nine different iPhone models and sort their various components for recycling at a rate of up to 200 devices per hour.

A semi-annual event, Apple's Beer Bash regularly sees big-name musicians stop by the company's headquarters to entertain employees. The last major gathering was held in December, when Gwen Stefani was invited to help ring in the holidays. Prior to that, Apple celebrated its 40th anniversary in 2016 with a Beer Bash featuring Zane Lowe and other Beats 1 personalities.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Celebrating Earth Day with booze and dope. 
    Macsplosionmacseekertallest skilperpetual3cornchiprazorpit
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Sounds about right. Take my like, good sir!
    perpetual3
  • Reply 3 of 17
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Apple is a lot cooler than other multinational corporations.
    racerhomie3perpetual3cornchip
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Ziggy Marley? He’s still around?!

I honestly thought he came and went in the late 1980s. 
  • Reply 5 of 17

He's won Grammys for best reggae album four times since 2007, including a win in 2017. 
    Soliperpetual3minicoffee
  • Reply 6 of 17
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Wasn't this done on 4/20? Coincidence there???
    anantksundaramperpetual3cornchip
  • Reply 7 of 17
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member

Nope, he's still around. All the Marley brothers are still around releasing music and touring. 
  • Reply 8 of 17

He's won Grammys for best reggae album four times since 2007, including a win in 2017. 
    Ah, good to know, thanks. 

Haven’t watched the Grammys in over 15 years. 
    edited April 2018 cornchip
  • Reply 9 of 17
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Here’s to the founder of Earth Day, who loved the Earth so much that he killed and composted his girlfriend to keep her from polluting anymore.
    SpamSandwichperpetual3macseekercornchiprazorpit
  • Reply 10 of 17
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I celebrate Earth Day every year the same way. I burn a tire.
    cornchip
  • Reply 11 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Nothing says “Earth Day” like booze and pot, amirite?
    tallest skilcornchiprazorpit
  • Reply 12 of 17
    slydr2slydr2 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Here’s to the founder of Earth Day, who loved the Earth so much that he killed and composted his girlfriend to keep her from polluting anymore.

I guess you are just trolling? Ira Einhorn Is Not the Founder of Earth Day as if it mattered – Philadelphia Magazine http://po.st/TY7OSv via @phillymag. ;No mention of composting either. 

perpetual3
  • Reply 13 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    slydr2 said:

I guess you are just trolling? Ira Einhorn Is Not the Founder of Earth Day as if it mattered – Philadelphia Magazine http://po.st/TY7OSv via @phillymag. No mention of composting either. 

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/42711922/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/earth-day-co-founder-killed-composted-girlfriend/
    perpetual3anantksundaramtallest skilmacseekerrazorpit
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Forget about booze and dope - Apple runs on 100% renewable energy!  A company that has flourished within the neoliberal, turbo-capitalist System.  A company that values privacy and a clean environment.  Hopefully, since some claim that whole economies depend on Apple, Apple will one day be able to transform all components in the supply chain into sustainable partners as well. 
  • Reply 15 of 17
    slydr2 said:

I guess you are just trolling? Ira Einhorn Is Not the Founder of Earth Day as if it mattered – Philadelphia Magazine http://po.st/TY7OSv via @phillymag. No mention of composting either. 

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/42711922/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/earth-day-co-founder-killed-composted-girlfriend/
    So not the founder, didn't compost and too high to dispose of his girlfriend's body. 

• Reply 16 of 17
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    slydr2 said:

As far as I can see, the term "composting" only appears in the headline, not in the body of the article. In fact, the body is described as "partially mummified", and the presence of Styrofoam and Air Fresheners would suggest it wasn't really an attempt to compost her body, but to cover up the smell.

As for his involvement in Earth Day, from the article itself:

Although Einhorn was only the master of ceremonies at the first Earth Day event, he maintains that Earth Day was his idea and that he's responsible for launching it. Understandably, Earth Day's organizers have distanced themselves from his name, citing Gaylord Nelson, an environmental activist and former Wisconsin governor and U.S. senator who died in 2005, as Earth Day's official founder and organizer.
    So he only claimed it was his idea, and most of the other people involved agree it wasn't.

The whole discussion is just an attempt to discredit the idea of Earth Day by linking it to an unpleasant crime. No-one here is suggesting Einhorn is a noble person, or should be considered a hero of the environmentalist movement, but he makes a convenient reference point for people who don't like environmentalism, the same way repeating the trope about Hitler being a vegetarian is supposed to make us hate vegetarians. It doesn't really matter if he was a vegetarian or not, it has nothing to do with Nazism any more than being a bad watercolourist did. (At best, Hitler was a bad vegetarian, anyway. While he did try to become a vegetarian for health reasons, he just couldn't give up liver pudding.)
    tallest skil
  • Reply 17 of 17
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    anome said:
    The whole discussion is just an attempt to discredit the idea of Earth Day by linking it to an unpleasant crime.
    Oh not at all. I’m an environmentalist myself. I would seek only to discredit modern environmentalists and the things they erroneously claim are environmentalism. Apple’s my favorite company not just for its computing products, but for the way it treats the planet in providing them to us.
    the same way repeating the trope about Hitler being a vegetarian is supposed to make us hate vegetarians.
    The funniest thing about Godwin’s Law is that Hitler’s Germany is literally the poster child for modern factory and environmental regulations.
    cornchip