iPhone 8 & iPhone 8 Plus both beat iPhone X sales in March quarter, questionable data find...

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2019
Together the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus amounted to 44 percent of U.S. iPhone sales in the March quarter, and even individually beat out the iPhone X -- but Apple's historical performance versus what the survey company has said in the past about sales casts a pallor on the data.

Apple's iPhone 8 and 8 Plus

The $699 iPhone 8 took home 23 percent of sales, while the $799 8 Plus managed 21 percent, said Consumer Intelligence Research Partners. The $999 iPhone X allegedly managed just 16 percent, despite flagship features like an edge-to-edge OLED screen and Face ID.

"We now have a full quarter of results for all of Apple's new iPhones," wrote CIRP co-founder Josh Lowitz. "Together they account for a smaller share of total sales than the newest phones did this time last year."

iPhones sold in the January quarter

In the December quarter CIRP still ranked the iPhone 8 family of devices about the iPhone X, and had the iPhone 8 outselling the iPhone X individually. But, that wasn't correct, according to Apple CEO Tim Cook.

In February, Cook said that the iPhone X had been the best-selling iPhone every week since its November launch, through the December quarter, and all the way up to the day of the quarterly earnings announcement on Feb. 1. Those statements pointed to worldwide performance though, not just the U.S.

CIRP said that sales of the iPhone 6s and iPhone 7 remained relatively strong, and that the iPhone SE rose quarter-over-quarter to 8 percent.

A "weighted" average retail price for iPhones, described as a "proxy" of Apple's average selling price that it reports quarterly, slid from $766 to $746. Apple's actual average selling price for the holiday quarter was $796, and the metric historically drops in the first calendar quarter of the year. so a predicted decline isn't a big surprise.

iPhone Average Selling price Q1 2018

"With eight models available, and the newest ones costing close to $1,000, consumers appear to want older, cheaper models that have many of the same features," argued another CIRP co-founder, Mike Levin.

CIRP based its findings on its survey of 500 U.S.-based Apple customers that purchased an iPhone, iPad, or Mac between January 1 and March 31, 2018.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    78Bandit78Bandit Posts: 238member
    Not surprising.  Those that wanted an iPhone X typically had the disposable income to get one as soon as possible.  They also know the new models will be out in less than six months and the exclusivity of the original X will be replaced by whatever Apple announces in September.  The iPhone 8 series has multiple sales offers and is a much more economical alternative for those consumers that just want a new iPhone and aren't concerned with the luxury cachet of the X.  You can get two 8s for less than the price of one X at some retailers.

The true Apple fans can say what they want, but overall we are a very small minority of consumers.  The sales of the luxury model are going to be heavily stacked toward the beginning of the product's life cycle as the ones that want one typically want one right away.  With the rumors of a $600 6.1" LCD device as well as a possible $100 price cut to the next version of the X the smart money is staying on the sidelines until this fall.
    freshmaker
  • Reply 2 of 42
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    I too think this report is correct. Apple were hedging their bets with the two new models this cycle, and I don't think that internally they expected anything less than what is happening. 
    aylk
  • Reply 3 of 42
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    I bought an iPhoneX last week to replacing my aged-out iP6+. I considered the red iPhone8, and the top of the line iP8 and iPX was a $200 difference which (to me) was not that much.  It took me almost an hour at an Apple store going back and forth between the two.

I settled for the iPX.  Glad I did.  I didn't think I'd like FaceID as I've grown accustomed and mastered the TouchID button and gestures, however I was proven wrong.  The iPX is just so much next-level compared to the iP8.  I'm a happy camper.

I just wished they had the iPX in that RED color.  It's a seriously cool color.
    yojimbo007[Deleted User]aegeanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 42
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Duh!   Almost by definition, lower priced models of anything will sell more units than higher priced models.    The surprise would be if they didn't.  

Which sells more units?  A high level Toyota Camry or a Lexus?    A Sony A8F 65" OLED TV at $3800 list or a Sony X850F at $1800?    A Hershey's chocolate bar at $1 a bar or some hand made chocolate at $30 a pound?  Etc.
    albegarcStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 42
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    This just in!

Cheaper model sells more!

albegarcyojimbo007andrewj5790StrangeDayscornchipradarthekatjcs2305jony0aegeanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 42
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    zoetmb said:
    A Hershey's chocolate bar at $1 a bar or some hand made chocolate at $30 a pound?  Etc.
    Seriously.
    edited April 2018 cornchip
  • Reply 7 of 42
    I bought the iP 8plus in the fall. Like many potential buyers, I thought long and hard about the X. Also, went back and forth. In the end I just know the “notch” would of driven me nuts. Face ID? Not interested. Glad I got the 8plus. 
    DavidAlGregory
  • Reply 8 of 42
    Right away in the title of this article we find skepticism at someone else’s skepticism about the iPhone X.  Get over it Apple crowd.  I’m a fan too but FETCH IS NEVER GONNA HAPPEN.  Let it go.  It’s overpriced and people finally proved there is a tipping point, though that tipping point was way higher than even I expected, admittedly. 
  • Reply 9 of 42
    Right away in the title of this article we find skepticism at someone else’s skepticism about the iPhone X.  Get over it Apple crowd.  I’m a fan too but FETCH IS NEVER GONNA HAPPEN.  Let it go.  It’s overpriced and people finally proved there is a tipping point, though that tipping point was way higher than even I expected, admittedly. 
    Hmm, let's see which I should believe about iPhone sales, the CEO of the company or a third party that interviewed 500 consumers (using some undisclosed methodology).
    yojimbo007acejax805StrangeDaysmuthuk_vanalingamjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 42
    I know it is cool iPhone, but over $1000 for phone? Sure some will buy fashion phones like Serene from Samsung and Bang&Olufsen. Are you sure this could be a mainstream? Whatever you say start comparing it to Samsung Note 9 as a bit cheaper one with more ability to customize (like storage memory) and few features that predate iPhone X "innovations". And maybe some should make more solid research, because US market is not European market and as far as I know Apple phones there are less appreciated while Huawei, LG and Samsung dominate there. It is similar religious crowd there for those other phones as Apple crowd here in the USA so the discussions resemble only in different directions.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    Rayz2016 said:
    This just in!

Phones are sold differently in the USA.  With all the “buy one, get one free” promotions it’s no wonder the 8 outsold the X.

That just means globally the X outsold the 8...
    bb-15
  • Reply 12 of 42
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    I don’ find this hard to believe actually, and as long as Apple are selling phones I’m happy.
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 42
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    Hmm, let's see which I should believe about iPhone sales, the CEO of the company or a third party that interviewed 500 consumers (using some undisclosed methodology).
    A CEO of any big company has always a hidden agenda when he/she makes a public statement.  500 comsumers can speak freely with their tongue on their heart.  So yes I would believe more the 500 consumers.
    MplsP
  • Reply 14 of 42
    FETCH IS NEVER GONNA HAPPEN

• Reply 15 of 42
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    cropr said:
    A CEO of any big company has always a hidden agenda when he/she makes a public statement.  500 comsumers can speak freely with their tongue on their heart.  So yes I would believe more the 500 consumers.
    A CEO would find himself under indictment if he lies in any way associated with earnings. The ASP for the last quarter (graph included) is pretty indicative of iPhone X sales for the TWO months out of the three in the quarter that the phone was available.

The larger point is, using the same methodology and sample size, CIRP missed the mix estimate in a big way last quarter. Sure, they might be right this quarter -- but there are adequate grounds for caution.

Like I keep saying, we do keep track of what analysts say, and how they glean their info. CIRP misses a lot.
    edited April 2018 bb-15randominternetpersonacejax805StrangeDayscornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 42
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator

I know it is cool iPhone, but over $1000 for phone? Sure some will buy fashion phones like Serene from Samsung and Bang&Olufsen. Are you sure this could be a mainstream? Whatever you say start comparing it to Samsung Note 9 as a bit cheaper one with more ability to customize (like storage memory) and few features that predate iPhone X "innovations". And maybe some should make more solid research, because US market is not European market and as far as I know Apple phones there are less appreciated while Huawei, LG and Samsung dominate there. It is similar religious crowd there for those other phones as Apple crowd here in the USA so the discussions resemble only in different directions.
    You're aware that this survey has zero to do with Huawei, LG, and Samsung, right?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 42
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    jmulchino said:
    I bought the iP 8plus in the fall. Like many potential buyers, I thought long and hard about the X. Also, went back and forth. In the end I just know the “notch” would of driven me nuts. Face ID? Not interested. Glad I got the 8plus. 
    Face id rocks... u wont know till u use it regularly. And the new swipe ui interface is so much more fluid. Had u bought an X.. u would not have written what u did.. imo
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 42
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member
    Rayz2016 said:
    This just in!

Phones are sold differently in the USA.  With all the “buy one, get one free” promotions it’s no wonder the 8 outsold the X.

That just means globally the X outsold the 8...
    Good point.
    The survey might be wrong as the author of the article wrote but more importantly;
    * Tim Cook’s statement was about global sales. 
    * The Survey was about US sales. 
    ** I’m sure Tim Cook was right (for legal reasons) but in theory the survey could also be right. 
    - It’s possible that the iPhone sales percentages globally are different from what iPhones are being sold in the US. 
  • Reply 19 of 42
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    Sorry, but that's a load of crap. It's priced high because it was difficult to scale, and despite this it killed it at least during the last quarter where Cook said so explicitly. Recent reports have it as the #1 profit-earning smartphone on the market, meaning it's doing well. I know that pains you. 

But even if it's true that in subsequent quarters the non-top-tier iPhone models are selling more, so what? This remains good news, because they're still iPhones. And as noted it's expected that lower-tiered models will sell more than top-tier models. 

Heads, Apple wins, tails, knockoffs lose. Take your pick. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 42
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member

cropr said:
    Then you're a fool if you believe he's lying -- as a C-level exec of a publicly traded corp, Cook is prohibited from lying to stockholders.

Good thing you're not one of them.

Just admit that you want Apple to fail and stop trying to be rational about it.
    randominternetpersonwatto_cobra