A better font sentence?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
There has to be a better all letters sentence then,

"The quick brown fox jumps over a lazy dog."

Dose this sentence bother anyone else? Where did it come from?

Come-on Mac people we are smart and creative enough to think of something better.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Didn't OS 9 use something else? I think there is another, bit it makes even less sense.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    list of alternate pangrams

Quote:
    • Forsaking monastic tradition, twelve jovial friars gave up their vocation for a questionable existence on the flying trapeze. (106 letters)

• No kidding -- Lorenzo called off his trip to visit Mexico City just because they told him the conquistadores were extinct. (99 letters)

• Jelly-like above the high wire, six quaking pachyderms kept the climax of the extravaganza in a dazzling state of flux. (96 letters)

• Oh, wet Alex, a jar, a fag! Up, disk, curve by! Man Oz, Iraq, Arizona, my Bev? Ruck's id-pug, a far Ajax, elate? Who? (77 letters) (also a palindrome)

• Ebenezer unexpectedly bagged two tranquil aardvarks with his jiffy vacuum cleaner. (71 letters)

• Six javelins thrown by the quick savages whizzed forty paces beyond the mark. (64 letters)

• The explorer was frozen in his big kayak just after making queer discoveries. (64 letters)

• The July sun caused a fragment of black pine wax to ooze on the velvet quilt. (61 letters)

• The public was amazed to view the quickness and dexterity of the juggler. (60 letters)

• While Suez sailors wax parquet decks, Afghan jews vomit jauntily abaft. (59 letters)

• We quickly seized the black axle and just saved it from going past him. (57 letters)

• Six big juicy steaks sizzled in a pan as five workmen left the quarry. (56 letters)

• While making deep excavations we found some quaint bronze jewelry. (56 letters)

• Jaded zombies acted quaintly but kept driving their oxen forward. (55 letters)

• A mad boxer shot a quick, gloved jab to the jaw of his dizzy opponent. (54 letters)

• The job requires extra pluck and zeal from every young wage earner. (54 letters)

• A quart jar of oil mixed with zinc oxide makes a very bright paint. (53 letters)

• Whenever the black fox jumped the squirrel gazed suspiciously. (53 letters)

• We promptly judged antique ivory buckles for the next prize. (50 letters)

• How razorback-jumping frogs can level six piqued gymnasts! (49 letters) (Used for font samples by the Macintosh, System 7 era)

• Crazy Fredericka bought many very exquisite opal jewels. (48 letters)

• Sixty zippers were quickly picked from the woven jute bag. (48 letters)

• Cozy lummox gives smart squid who asks for job pen. (39 letters) (Used for font samples by the Macintosh, post-System 7)

• Adjusting quiver and bow, Zompyc killed the fox.(39 letters)

• My faxed joke won a pager in the cable TV quiz show. (39 letters)

• The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. (35 letters) (Used for TrueType/OpenType font samples by Windows)

• The quick brown fox jumps over a lazy dog. (33 letters)

• Pack my box with five dozen liquor jugs. (32 letters) (Used for font samples by Beagle Bros)

• Jackdaws love my big sphinx of quartz. (31 letters) (Used for bitmap font samples by Windows)

• The five boxing wizards jump quickly. (31 letters)

• How quickly daft jumping zebras vex. (30 letters)

• Bright vixens jump; dozy fowl quack. (29 letters)

• Quick wafting zephyrs vex bold Jim. (29 letters)

• Quick zephyrs blow, vexing daft Jim. (29 letters)

• Sphinx of black quartz, judge my vow. (29 letters) (I've seen this in OS X... maybe in Fontbook? Font Reserve?)

• Waltz, nymph, for quick jigs vex Bud. (28 letters)

There are some others in that link, including other language versions.

Enjoy.
    gatorguydocno42
  • Reply 3 of 14
    fngfng Posts: 222member
    Mind you, this sentence was made to test typewriters. Not test fonts.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    would would you want to change the one. Every time i see it i get pulled in and i start wonder about that fox and the lazy dog. Are the friends? Is the fox just a show off? How do the define lazy? aren't all dogs lazy?

Just kidding :-)
    cgWerksdocno42
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Pack my box with five dozen liquor jugs.

We have a winner!
  • Reply 6 of 14
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    This one, listed above, isnot only an efficient pangram, but is a beautiful sentence as well:

"The July sun caused a fragment of black pine wax to ooze on the velvet quilt."

. . . you can almost smell the pitch, feel the heat, and squint.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Awesome. Thx people.
    Quote:

Originally posted by JimDreamworx

We have a winner!

mmm nice.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. (35 letters) (Used for TrueType/OpenType font samples by Windows) Missing letter 'A'... idiots.

Are you sure about that?
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Are you sure about that?

My misread of the common error omitting an s... damn head cold.

Quote:

From the link:

By far the most well-known pangram is, "The quick brown fox jumps over a lazy dog." Frequently this is the sentence used to test out new typewriters, presumably because it includes every letter of the alphabet. Curiously, this sentence is often misquoted by changing "jumps" to "jumped." The past tense version, lacking an s, is not a pangram. Often, too, it is misquoted as "the lazy dog" rather than "a lazy dog." This error is not as grievous; the sentence remains a pangram, just a slightly longer one.

• Reply 10 of 14
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Recently, most companies allow you to type in your own phrase -- and it really helps when you're trying to match a font.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    I was working on a video study guide and saw this over at fonts.com:

TV folk buy ex-Prez John Quincy Adams? wig.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    BOABOA Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    aquamac said:
    Awesome. Thx people.
    Quote:
    Originally posted by JimDreamworx
    We have a winner!

mmm nice.
    Splendid! However, I must say I find the font presentation of the numbers rather quite handy therefore I have inserted my own addition. Perhaps it shall be of use to you as well gentlemen-

Pack my box with five dozen liquor jugs, or perhaps 1092384756 of them.

cgWerks
  • Reply 13 of 14
    I've heard that sentence way back when I was in elementary when our class learned cursive writing. 
  • Reply 14 of 14
    The job requires extra pluck and zeal from every young wage earner.  (54 letters)

doesn't seem to have a D

maybe it should be "
    The jobs required extra pluck and zeal from every young wage earner. (55 letters)