Going all-in on USB-C with Apple's ecosystem? That's impossible -- for now

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    kruegdudekruegdude Posts: 340member
  • Reply 22 of 43
    profprof Posts: 84member
    So what's the problem with the Macally HOME72UC? Does USB-C PD and regular USB-A at less of the size of the single USB-C charger from Apple (though at a slightly lower power rating). The only thing I find a bit annoying is the lack of MagSafe requiring an additional piece on the port to provide proper protection.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 43
    smaffei said:
    I recommend this form factor instead.  https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Type-C-Gen1-Female-Adapter/dp/B01GGKYYT0/

I found that those one-piece ones are awkward to use since you end up with an extra long thing hanging off your laptop port that's just begging to be snapped off.  Also, I've have the sleeve on my cheap adapter (which looks exactly like the one you linked to) come loose and I had to throw it away.  In this case plastic seems more durable than metal.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 43
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    prof said:
    So what's the problem with the Macally HOME72UC? Does USB-C PD and regular USB-A at less of the size of the single USB-C charger from Apple (though at a slightly lower power rating). The only thing I find a bit annoying is the lack of MagSafe requiring an additional piece on the port to provide proper protection.
    Nothing specific, but Neil would like zero USB-A.

Going to get ahead of this, because it's going to come up sooner or later. The USB-C spec specifically disallows USB-A male to USB-C female adapters. So, that seems like a pretty bad idea.
    edited April 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 43
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 hubs: Hope you still want USB-A

The persistence of USB-A is also a problem if you look at USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 hubs. Almost all of them continue to exclusively include USB-A ports, presumably because, once again, consumers still have legacy devices and cables they want to connect.

For many, the inclusion of USB-A is probably a selling point. For me, it's one foot in the past.

CalDigit Thunderbolt Station 3
    CalDigit Thunderbolt Station 3 -- note the lack of USB-C other than the Thunderbolt 3 ports

If you want to use the old version of the dock you can, but the latest CalDigit Thunderbolt Station 3 plus has 2 USB-C ports:

I have this dock and like it a lot. There's zero reasons not to go all in on USB-C.
    edited April 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 43
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    larz2112 said:
    ascii said:
    Anyway, is Apple in fact all-in with USB-C? The most recent Mac (iMac Pro) had 4 USB-A ports. And none of the iDevices use it yet.
    I believe he is referring to himself going all-in with USB-C, not Apple.
    From the last paragraph of the article: "But it's important to remember that Apple was the first to try to go all-in on USB-A just the same as it is now with USB-C."
  • Reply 28 of 43
    stan1028 said:
    Whenever I travel, I would get an adapter that has a power socket with 2 USB-A (to charge USB-A) devices. 

He's trying to get chargers with USB-C sockets, and not USB-A but I think he's set himself an impossible task for no other reason than to set himself an impossible task. And to write an article  that reminds us all that the struggle is real.

100% agree on the power cubes. Awesome little devices.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    prof said:
    Nothing specific, but Neil would like zero USB-A.

Going to get ahead of this, because it's going to come up sooner or later. The USB-C spec specifically disallows USB-A male to USB-C female adapters. So, that seems like a pretty bad idea.
    Oddly enough, I own a pair of USB-A male to USB-C female adapters. They work fine. I had no idea they weren't up to spec.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0793MWSBQ?tag=reality
  • Reply 30 of 43
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Going all-in is one thing, however with less than 2 years since the MBP switched to USB-C/TB3, it's not yet reasonable to expect to be dongle-free.

Given the choice between a 1st gen USB-C equipped rMBP and the 2015 rMBP, I chose the latter (as I've mentioned before, I need to be able to boot and run El Capitan natively for certain no-longer supported professional software). Even with USB-A ports available I'm still using dongles: thunderbolt to ethernet (when not connected to a TB display), HDMI to DVI for connect a 20-in Cinema Display, and if not for the TB display I'd have to occasionally use a thunderbolt to firewire adapter as well.

Dongles don't annoy me at all, and I've trained myself to always pop them in my laptop bag when I've finished with them.

Hopefully this set up will keep me going for a few more years, but when I eventually have to get a new MBP, I'll probably need a couple of TB3-TB2 adapters - one benefit of getting the 2015 rMBP is being able to pick up reasonably priced thunderbolt-based peripherals on the second hand market and I plan to bring them along for the ride.
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 31 of 43
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    But it's important to remember that Apple was the first to try to go all-in on USB-A just the same as it is now with USB-C. Again, they led the way to drive a new standard forward -- I'm just following. Who will join me? And when?
    I don't recall there being almost no USB-A devices to use with my USB Mac though. My complaint against USB-C only computers, is that there's almost nothing to plug into them yet, besides a dongle/hub that breaks out to a bunch of other port types.

It's more of a docking solution, than a new connector type you find out in the wild. Once I start seeing lots of USB-C devices I'd just plug my laptop into, then I'd have no issue. If I have to carry a bunch of dongles or a dock with me, I'd rather the laptop just be 1/4" thicker and have the ports. I'll take a USB-C port or two along with those other ports, though so I can start the transition.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    felixerfelixer Posts: 34member
    This has been, by far, the most frustrating and dumbfounding thing Apple has done in the 20 years of my loyalty to them. We can't even get an official USB-C to Mini Display port adapter?!?! WTF.... I have been battling with third party solutions (with intermittent success) for over a year to avoid bricking my awesome Cinema Display.  JEEEEESUS CHRIIIST APPLE!!!!
  • Reply 33 of 43
    pmb01pmb01 Posts: 25member
    What cheap ass hotels are you staying at? Every hotel I've stayed at in the last couple years (even Motel 6) has had several accessible Edison plugs. Many have them on the table top lamps, which is super convenient. I've never had to use my MBP to charge my stuff in my hotel room. And I know we're trying to ditch USB-A, but many hotels have those ports available directly on the nightstand, conveniently for charging your iPhone/Watch. But I'm ready to upgrade to USB-C when the MBPs are updated next.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    MKMcMKMc Posts: 14member
    welshdog said:
    Oh and I'm still peeved at Apple for dropping MagSafe.  I got the Vinpok bolt and it disconnects too easily to be practical for me.  I'd love to see Apple offer an explanation for dropping Magsafe.
    Yes, well said. Surely Apple can innovate here and come up with a USB-C magsafe idea. I find also that the USB-C jacks become loose quite quickly - just the slightest tug can disconnect them.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    MKMc said:
    welshdog said:
    Oh and I'm still peeved at Apple for dropping MagSafe.  I got the Vinpok bolt and it disconnects too easily to be practical for me.  I'd love to see Apple offer an explanation for dropping Magsafe.
    Yes, well said. Surely Apple can innovate here and come up with a USB-C magsafe idea. I find also that the USB-C jacks become loose quite quickly - just the slightest tug can disconnect them.
    Probably because then it wouldn't be a USB-C. They'd have to put the mag connection somewhere down the cable a bit. I suppose that would help with the 'trip over the cable thing' but for me, a good aspect of the pleasure of MagSafe was how the cable just nicely jumped into place when I plug my laptop in. I think in all my years of using MagSafe laptops, only once did it save a potential cable-trip situation.

As for USB-C and it's reliability/durability, I just don't have any experience yet, but that's a good point. MagSafe was quite durable. This is my main concern with Apple's switch from 3.5mm to Lightning, as Lightning is much, much more fragile on mobile devices that are often in a pocket. It is quite the mechanical downgrade, even if you don't care about compatibility with the rest of the world of audio.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I keep waiting for Apple to replace the Lightening connector with USB-C...

But, I think they're still licking their wounds from the 3.5mm headphone adapter thing...
    MplsPcgWerks
  • Reply 37 of 43
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I keep waiting for Apple to replace the Lightening connector with USB-C...

But, I think they're still licking their wounds from the 3.5mm headphone adapter thing...
    1) What is Apple's motivation to kill MFi? Using Lightning, which is smaller than USB-C, offers a lot of benefit to customers.

2) Licking what wounds? Are you claiming Apple made a mistake? Are you suggesting that the iPhone will get 3.5mm jack back this year? Are you saying that BT headphones are dropping in popularity?
  • Reply 38 of 43
    Soli said:
    1) What is Apple's motivation to kill MFi? Using Lightning, which is smaller than USB-C, offers a lot of benefit to customers.

2) Licking what wounds? Are you claiming Apple made a mistake? Are you suggesting that the iPhone will get 3.5mm jack back this year? Are you saying that BT headphones are dropping in popularity?
    I wish they'd kill MFi, but for other reasons... to give iOS devices a shot at decent gaming (i.e.: ability to use PS/Xbox controllers).

Also, while I don't have experience with USB-C yet, at least it's supposed to become a standard. Lightning kinda sucks and is proprietary.

I doubt we'll see the 3.5mm back, because Apple is stubborn like that. But, yes, it was a mistake... just a mistake most people will learn to live with.

re: BT headphones - No, I'm sure they will keep gaining in popularity, as people don't seem to care much about quality as convenience, nor are they probably aware of potential health concerns. Me, I'll be sticking with my 3.5mm as long as possible, and then decide if it means a platform jump or not (or, ramp by budget up for replacement costs).
  • Reply 39 of 43
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    cgWerks said:
     Lightning kinda sucks and is proprietary.
    1) Why does it suck?

2) USB is proprietary, too.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    Soli said:
    cgWerks said:
     Lightning kinda sucks and is proprietary.
    1) Why does it suck?

2) USB is proprietary, too.
    It sucks, as a 3.5mm replacement and a bit just because of what it is, mechanically. As it gets wiggled around, the little 'pins' lose contact. It seems to actually damage the port too, not just the cable end. 3.5mm is pretty industrial-strength, and you typically just break the cable after the strain-relief, or possibly bend the 3.5mm plug a bit. But, I've never seen the iDevice damaged yet.

Also, while I might not run into it, I've heard the dongle doesn't work for some types of equipment, particularly in the accessibility sector.

Sorry, but I still maintain it was a poor trade-off to gain some space that could have easily been accomplished other ways. But then to throw salt on the wound, with all the 'legacy port' baloney, was way too much to handle. So now they get a double-dosing of grumpiness from me.

re: proprietary - You know what I mean. It's Apple iDevice only. If a change were to be made, then switch to something that is supposedly going to be the new standard for everything would be a good idea.