Defending Tim Cook: Why Apple remains in good hands

Comments

• Reply 21 of 74
    What he's doing to the mac is a death wish. Unforgivable. Get rid of the bum. ASAP. Sooner the better!
    mike54
  • Reply 22 of 74
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    The problem I have with Cook is he seems to be too preoccupied with other things than ensuring macintosh computers are always the best.  The end.
    edited April 2018 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 23 of 74
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    What he's doing to the mac is a death wish. Unforgivable. Get rid of the bum. ASAP. Sooner the better!
    So who is better Mr Armchair executive? And don't give me some BS answer that anyone is better than Tim. If you want to constantly bitch about Tim Cook being a bad CEO just because of one damn product line, have a solution. 

There's far more to Apple today than the Mac lineup. Sorry, its just the way it is and no CEO is going to change that. Its not called Apple Computer anymore for a reason. Apple cannot survive in today's world on just the Mac line. Honestly, we got the same tired argument about the Mac when Steve was CEO so I guess he should be fired too. 
    edited April 2018 macplusplusradarthekat
  • Reply 24 of 74
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 495member
    Last time I checked Macs are selling better than ever. Apple would sell even more if they didn’t last and remain useful for as long as they do.
    king editor the grateradarthekatanome
  • Reply 25 of 74
    Although Tim Cook seems to be doing OK, I just think Apple is leaving a lot on the table on the computer side. Why not at least maximize revenue with something Apple used to be good at and that's making decent computers? I could understand if no consumers are buying desktop and laptop computers, but other computer companies seem to be doing well selling them.
  • Reply 26 of 74
    entropys said:
    volcan said:
    seanismorris said:
    Storing everything online (which it seems like Apple wants) doesn’t work outside of documents & email.
    You can store any sort of file on iCloud.
    What if, for any reason that may be important to a person, they don’t want to?
    Apple has the tech to provide a local cloud... tho that may seem like an oxymoron.

Consider, iCloud/iCloud drive, likely, uses Apple's FoundationDB on their own servers and on AWS, Google and MS servers. FoundationDB offers performance, reliability, distributed scalability -- the database exists in clusters which can be distributed over machines/data centers all over the world... that's the remote cloud part.

However, you can scale FoundationDB down so that it can run in a cluster on a single machine -- actually a single core of a single machine... maybe a Mac mini -- or maybe an A11 class ARM processor in a box the size of an AppleTV (or a more stylish container like a HomePod).

I made this post to the FoundationDB web site a few days ago -- it illustrates running a local cloud:

The beauty of all this is flexibility -- as your needs change you can scale/distribute your database up or down -- in any combination of local or remote clouds.
    edited April 2018 SpamSandwichiqatedo
  • Reply 27 of 74
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Many of the people who use the "if Steve Jobs was alive" argument never met the guy. 

Cook is doing a fine job. 
    fastasleepradarthekat
  • Reply 28 of 74
    entropys said:
    The problem I have with Cook is he seems to be too preoccupied with other things than ensuring macintosh computers are always the best.  The end.

Well, remember that it's Apple Inc, something Steve carried out: https://www.engadget.com/2007/01/09/apple-drops-computer-from-name/

fastasleep
  • Reply 29 of 74
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    entropys said:

Well, remember that it's Apple Inc, something Steve carried out: https://www.engadget.com/2007/01/09/apple-drops-computer-from-name/

Well, yes. But Cook is paid millions because the board believe he is able to walk and chew gum at the same time.
    There is a lot of ruin in the mac line up and it’s surrounding peripherals that at one time, used to make it all work like magic.
  • Reply 30 of 74
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Although Tim Cook seems to be doing OK, I just think Apple is leaving a lot on the table on the computer side. Why not at least maximize revenue with something Apple used to be good at and that's making decent computers? I could understand if no consumers are buying desktop and laptop computers, but other computer companies seem to be doing well selling them.
    So the computers Apple makes now are shit?
    fastasleep
  • Reply 31 of 74
    So the computers Apple makes now are shit?
    I don't think that Macs are being neglected -- rather they are evolving.  Likely, we will have a need for trucks for for the immediate future.  But today's trucks have big, powerful, enviromnentally-unfriendy gas-guzzling engines -- take up too much road space, require specialized expert drivers, mechanics, repairmen, etc..

Who says we need massive semi trucks with large, expensive Intel or AMD engines?   What we could do the same job with a few enviromnentally-friendy smaller trucks with Apple engines?

No reason they couldn't be Mac trucks (or PeterBuilt, for that matter) and carry the same load at less cost and effect the ecosystem.

I suspect, that within the next year, we'll see  Macs with ARM CPUs running macOS and the apps required by most consumers...  That will be the open gambit that will eventually replace  those big trucks.

I guess you could say that Steve was just joshing us when he defined the car vs truck differences.
    radarthekatSpamSandwich
  • Reply 32 of 74
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    I don't know what Steve Jobs will do if he is alive. But I know Jobs is very picky. He will disapprove many things he does not think is good for the users. Will he approve the notch in iPhone X? 
  • Reply 33 of 74
    Let Compassion be your guide. 
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 34 of 74
    making lots of money is not the same as making awesome products. CEOs get paid to make money. The exising line of garbage apple products where nothing just works, but profits are through the roof proves my point.   Notch in a phone, mouse with the cable pluged in underneath, over priced speaker with the worst assistant, soldered in everything, woefully under powered machines, dongles for everything, handover never works, nor does unlocking my laptop with watch (used to work kind of). adapters for everything, even the own product line does not work seemlessly together, IOS is buggy, SWIFT code changes on a whim so you need massive refactoring. batteries bloating in watches, the list goes on and on.......

developers in my circles are abondoning the eco system, which is weird seeing they used to be die hard fans

but good news: profits are through the roof. and clearly any criticism is heresy. 
  • Reply 35 of 74
    making lots of money is not the same as making awesome products. CEOs get paid to make money. The exising line of garbage apple products where nothing just works, but profits are through the roof proves my point.   Notch in a phone, mouse with the cable pluged in underneath, over priced speaker with the worst assistant, soldered in everything, woefully under powered machines, dongles for everything, handover never works, nor does unlocking my laptop with watch (used to work kind of). adapters for everything, even the own product line does not work seemlessly together, IOS is buggy, SWIFT code changes on a whim so you need massive refactoring. batteries bloating in watches, the list goes on and on.......

developers in my circles are abondoning the eco system, which is weird seeing they used to be die hard fans

but good news: profits are through the roof. and clearly any criticism is heresy. 
    Ya’ know...

Since 1978 I’ve been an Apple costumer, dealer, vendor, co-developer, developer, user, critic, supporter, observer...

You’re right -- it’s all shit and always has been...

It’s the best shit available, though!
    king editor the gratemacxpressradarthekatSpamSandwichkiltedgreen
  • Reply 36 of 74
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Although not perfect, as a reminder of exactly how bad this thing could have got, let me say two words:

Steve. Ballmer.
  • Reply 37 of 74
    tzeshan said:
    I don't know what Steve Jobs will do if he is alive. But I know Jobs is very picky. He will disapprove many things he does not think is good for the users. Will he approve the notch in iPhone X? 
    He approved the hockey puck mouse and the iPod Hifi.
  • Reply 38 of 74

If everything is terrible, people wouldn't be buying them. Don't tell me Apple  fan boys buy crappy shiit. 
  • Reply 39 of 74
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    I think Cook has done an excellent job of running a huge company as a huge company. That is no small feat, and he deserves CEO-of-the-year type accolades for that. I think what many of us who are critical of his time are bummed about, is that we'd like Apple to be run more in a 'think different' manner like we used to think it was. It's possible, that at Apple's new scale, that is simply impossible. I'm not convinced of that, though.

We feel like Apple's actual priorities have changed. That's a vision kind of thing, if true. That is at least a large part of the job of a CEO.

And, saying that software was more stable under Jobs than Cook is ignorant of history. If you're a long-time AppleInsider reader, or Mac user, you know this already. We feel that it can get better, given the much larger public visibility, and larger target cross-section that Apple presents because of it, as compared to ye olden days -- but it sure isn't worse.
    Umm, well I guess I haven't been around AppleInsider long enough to be brainwashed, then? Give me a break! I've been around Apple plenty long enough, though, to know the quality has dropped, both in terms of QC, and also in terms of software/UI-design.
  • Reply 40 of 74
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    Aren't you just playing in to the hands of the sentiment traders with these sorts of Editorials?

Having a long standing Apple website "Defend Tim Cook" implies there is something in need of defense when really there isn't.
    Giving rise to ever grievance real or otherwise to be adding as fuel to what wasn't a fire in the first place. Adding to feed back loop as they then use is cache of information to then float more stories to drive the price how they want to.