HomeKit support now available in four more GE air conditioning window units

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2020
There are more options for GE air conditioning units compatible with HomeKit than first thought, as the electronics giant has confirmed other models in its AC range support Apple's smart home platform alongside the AHP08LX Energy Star 115 volt Electronic Room Air Conditioner that shipped earlier this week.

GE air conditioners HomeKit

The AEC08LX, AEC10AX, AEC12AX, and AHP10LX models all use GE's WiFi Connect technology, allowing the air conditioners to work with Google Home, Amazon Alexa, and IFTTT, as well as Apple's HomeKit. The AHP08LX, revealed as on sale on April 23, was the first to be reported to have HomeKit support.

GE advised to The Verge the AEC08LX, AEC10AX, and AEC12AX do support HomeKit, despite the product pages not mentioning the compatibility alongside the other smart home frameworks, and will be updating the online documentation to reflect the fact. The AHP10LX product page does specify it has HomeKit support.

All five air conditioning units are able to be controlled by verbal command using Siri, and can also be used with other HomeKit devices in scenes. For example, a scene can be set up to run when one or more people are at home, automatically turning off when the house is empty and turning back on when a user returns.

The AEC models offer three cooling and fan speeds, a remote control, and an energy saver mode, as well as connectivity over Wi-Fi connect, with the main differences being the maximum cooling capacity, ranging from 8,000 BTU to 12,000 BTU, and the room size they are intended for use within. The three air conditioning units are available from The Home Depot, priced at between $229 and $329, depending on capacity.

The AHP10LX is sold in Lowes alongside the AHP08LX and offers a similar feature set as the previously-announced unit, but expands the output from 8,000 BTU to 10,000 BTU. The AHP10LX has an MSRP of $329, compared to the AHP08LX's $269 price tag.

Where to buy

GE's line of HomeKit-enabled air conditioners can be purchased at Home Depot or Lowe's. Prices start at $249.

• GE 8,000 BTU AEC08LX for $249.00 at Home Depot
  • GE 8,000 BTU AHP08LX for $319.00 at Lowe's
  • GE 10,000 BTU AEC10AX for $309.00 at Home Depot
  • GE 12,000 BTU AEC12AX for $359.00 at Home Depot

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Can these be activated over the internet, or only via a local, WiFi connection?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Soli said:
    Can these be activated over the internet, or only via a local, WiFi connection?
    If you hook up HomeKit through a hub, using an iPad, HomePod, or Apple TV as the hub, you can control them from outside the house.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/17/08/08/how-to-automate-your-home-with-apples-homekit-with-or-without-an-ipad-or-apple-tv
    edited April 2018 Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Although interesting, why control the A/C unit directly when I already have thermostats that are HomeKit compatible.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Although interesting, why control the A/C unit directly when I already have thermostats that are HomeKit compatible.
    These aren't for central HVAC homes. These are window units. If you have a garage or shed where you may want to get some cool air pumping in the summer it would be nice to have, and I just found out I can be at Home Depot on a hot Summer day and remotely turn on and set the temp so I when I get back it's nice and cool.
    gatorguymike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Soli said:
    These aren't for central HVAC homes. These are window units. If you have a garage or shed where you may want to get some cool air pumping in the summer it would be nice to have, and I just found out I can be at Home Depot on a hot Summer day and remotely turn on and set the temp so I when I get back it's nice and cool.

I know the difference between central and room A/C. People who use HomeKit likely already have multiple devices, including a thermostat (one of the first smart home devices to hit the mainstream). It seems that making your A/C unit work with an existing thermostat would be far simpler and less expensive than building the entire "smart" experience (which requires WiFi support plus software/hardware) into the A/C unit itself. Then you don't have to worry about security, software updates and support. The thermostat already handles that and you only need a very simple bridge/connection to make your A/C unit work with your existing thermostat.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Soli said:
    I know the difference between central and room A/C. People who use HomeKit likely already have multiple devices, including a thermostat (one of the first smart home devices to hit the mainstream). It seems that making your A/C unit work with an existing thermostat would be far simpler and less expensive than building the entire "smart" experience (which requires WiFi support plus software/hardware) into the A/C unit itself. Then you don't have to worry about security, software updates and support. The thermostat already handles that and you only need a very simple bridge/connection to make your A/C unit work with your existing thermostat.
    And how would, say, an Ecobee thermostat adjust this A/C unit if it had no "WiFi support plus software/hardware"? BT could be feasible for shorter distances or without too many obstructions, but does Ecobee connect with BT to A/C units or is that directly wired? Should these then require a wired thermostat? Doesn't the cost of the thermostat increase the price by a lot?

I don't get your "plus software/hardware" comment as even if you do have some janky, wired, external  thermostat rigged to one of these AC units how will the window unit even work if there's no HW or SW designed to allow an external thermostat to control it?

Why assume that people already have a smart thermostat, especially if they're in the market for a small, windowed AC unit?
    edited April 2018 gatorguymike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member
    These are room air conditioners. Not everybody has central air.
    edited April 2018 gatorguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Soli said:

I think that the price of communication technology to a central thermostat versus the price of the technology + home automation tech isn't much different.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    And how would, say, an Ecobee thermostat adjust this A/C unit if it had no "WiFi support plus software/hardware"? BT could be feasible for shorter distances or without too many obstructions, but does Ecobee connect with BT to A/C units or is that directly wired? Should these then require a wired thermostat? Doesn't the cost of the thermostat increase the price by a lot?

I don't get your "plus software/hardware" comment as even if you do have some janky, wired, external  thermostat rigged to one of these AC units how will the window unit even work if there's no HW or SW designed to allow an external thermostat to control it?

Why assume that people already have a smart thermostat, especially if they're in the market for a small, windowed AC unit?
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

You can connect the window A/C to your thermostat using wires, just like they are currently connected to your furnace/heat. No wireless needed.

Window units have built-in thermostats. You should be able to buy one sans thermostat for smart home installation.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

Soli said:
    Soli said:

You can connect the window A/C to your thermostat using wires, just like they are currently connected to your furnace/heat. No wireless needed.

Window units have built-in thermostats. You should be able to buy one sans thermostat for smart home installation.
    As a user of window AC units in my home (hydronic heat), HomeKit compatibility is a wonderful addition to an AC unit.  I have yet to find a window AC unit with provisions to wire it to a household thermostat.  I'm sure it's possible, but then you'd have to run wires from your thermostat to the AC unit, which in my case would be about 40 feet through multiple rooms, or loop down to the basement and back up in an exterior wall (through the foundation wall...)  These aren't big news to everybody, but for some it's awesome news!
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

Soli said:
    Soli said:

You do that??? 
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 12 of 12
    rhinotuff said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

Soli said:
    Soli said:

As a user of window AC units in my home (hydronic heat), HomeKit compatibility is a wonderful addition to an AC unit.  I have yet to find a window AC unit with provisions to wire it to a household thermostat.  I'm sure it's possible, but then you'd have to run wires from your thermostat to the AC unit, which in my case would be about 40 feet through multiple rooms, or loop down to the basement and back up in an exterior wall (through the foundation wall...)  These aren't big news to everybody, but for some it's awesome news!
    Running wires seems like an unreasonable task for a small A/C unit that is easily movable. And what if you have more than one? Do these smart thremostats allow you to control every window A/C unit you have or do you know need to buy a smart thermostat for each one? These A/C units start under $250 which is pretty low cost when I recall paying that much for each of 2 Nests for my parents house which was designed with dual HVAC units split between common rooms and bedrooms.
    edited April 2018 rhinotuff