Alleged 'iPhone SE 2' with glass back & headphone jack spotted in new pictures

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2020
Images claimed to be first real-world photos of the "iPhone SE 2" may suggest that Apple is bringing some touches of the iPhone 8 to the device, but not all of them.

iPhone SE 2

Most noticeable is the switch to a glass back, which could hint that Apple is planning to implement wireless charging -- though the change might also be cosmetic. The photos were spotted on China's Weibo by Czech site Letemsvetem.

The phone in other ways mostly resembles the current-generation iPhone SE, including its surrounding metal band, and a rear camera that sits flush with the body. The latter may imply that camera technology won't be on par with what's in the iPhone 8 line.

iPhone SE 2

Also still present are a Touch ID sensor and a 3.5-millimeter headphone jack. Continued use of Touch ID is expected -- given the cost and complexity of the TrueDepth camera for Face ID -- but removing the headphone jack would presumably open up internal design space.

It could be though that Apple wants to continue to use as much of the old design as possible to minimize production expenses, simply adding upgradeslike a faster processor to keep the phone relevant. The presence of a headphone jack would contradict one recent rumor, which also said that the "iPhone SE 2" could be announced as soon as next month.

iPhone SE 2

Recent regulatory filings have pointed to new iPhones which could be part of an "SE 2" line.

Exact specifications are uncertain, but one report indicated an A10 processor, 2 gigabytes of RAM, and 32- or 128-gigabyte storage options. If Apple wants to keep the phone as contemporary as the iPhone SE was at launch, though, it will have to equip it with an A11 Bionic chip.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Looks to me like someone put some cloudy glass on the back of an existing SE and took some deliberately unfocussed pictures of it. 
    edited April 2018 airnerdSpamSandwichlongpathcornchip
  • Reply 2 of 26
    Why is it that leakers always have the lowest quality cameras??!!
    asdasdolslongpathleptoncornchip
  • Reply 3 of 26
    arcanineguyarcanineguy Posts: 7unconfirmed, member
    tailstoo said:
    Why is it that leakers always have the lowest quality cameras??!!
    Many times these factories have a no camera policy, so the only cameras that can make it in are low quality micro/hidden cams.  That said, this back panels looks suspect, partially due to the edge transition and "foggy white" apple logo.  Could be lighting and quality of shot but seems more like an under developed concept or a fake. 
    longpathcornchip
  • Reply 4 of 26
    robjnrobjn Posts: 280member
    The pictures look fake

Reflections indicate the glass back has curved edges. The SE would be flat. This is the back of an iPhone X pasted in.

The bump in the line here does not look real

The image also has a rather convenient background for some work in photoshop.

edited April 2018 longpath
  • Reply 5 of 26
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,032member
    Nope. Fakey. I expect they'll get rid of the headphone jack. No glass back.

• Reply 6 of 26
    robjn said:
    The pictures look fake

Reflections indicate the glass back has curved edges. The SE would be flat. This is the back of an iPhone X pasted in.

The bump in the line here does not look real

It's actually a video that was posted, these are just screenshots of the video.  Macrumors has the video linked on their site.  It still looks like someone just put a glass back over top of an SE, it's not flush with the back of the phone.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    The Apple logo appears to be bigger than it should be 
  • Reply 8 of 26
    video link if anyone wants to see the fake phone.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    when did sim card tray hole became that large.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    There's no way in hell the SE2 will have a headphone jack. Why would it?! They've been removing them from all new models since the iPhone 7. I'd bet my entire  bank account that the SE2 won't have a headphone jack. 
    pscooter63
  • Reply 11 of 26
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member
    Yay - 3.5mm jack FOR THE WIN. This will sell like hot cakes.
    baconstangcornchip
  • Reply 12 of 26
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Maybe this will be built in a location like Brazil or India?
  • Reply 13 of 26
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    No doubt a fake.  

I could see allowing wireless charging through.  If an SE2 comes out, it has to have some updates beyond CPU/GPU bump. 
  • Reply 14 of 26
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    I realized today that I haven't used my headphone jack in 2018, can't remember the last time I used it.  Everything I have is bluetooth now.  Guess some like having there just in case?
    ronn
  • Reply 15 of 26
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,109member
    airnerd said:
    I realized today that I haven't used my headphone jack in 2018, can't remember the last time I used it.  Everything I have is bluetooth now.  Guess some like having there just in case?
    Different people use the devices differently, and the versatility of the devices is arguably their greatest strength. I use the headphone jack on my iPhone 6 more than I use Bluetooth, and probably more than I use the “phone” function, but I understand why they haven’t gotten rid of either of those. 

And Slurpy, that’s a big gamble (assuming there’s money in your bank account)—they are still putting headphone jacks in iPads and laptops, and given that the SE is wider and it may be easier to leave it in than to redesign without it, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the next SE has a jack. 
    edited April 2018 muthuk_vanalingambaconstang
  • Reply 16 of 26
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    williamh said:
    Nope. Fakey. I expect they'll get rid of the headphone jack. No glass back.

Yup. I dont see the point of keeping the 3.5mm jack there since the headphone works fine with Lighning port now on SE unless they still have the stocked old SE frames to get rid of! Again, it took 3 year for Apple to come up with this shit? I doubt it’s SE2 but an internally upgraded SE!
  • Reply 17 of 26
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    The 4 is still the best iPhone design  I really dislike the rounded edge models which followed,  in my opinion was Apple ditching function over form. 
    caladanianbaconstang
  • Reply 18 of 26
    lwiolwio Posts: 110member
    Biggest reason for getting rid of headphone jack is better waterproofing, less warranty repairs and if course Apples penchant for getting rid of the 'superfluous'.

edited April 2018
  • Reply 19 of 26
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Losing the headphone jack implies including the dongle.  They won’t want to do that in this lower-priced model.  And... developing world.  Headphone jack stays.
    retrogustobaconstang
  • Reply 20 of 26
    bko62bko62 Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    I call this a fake, and just to be sure, I rewatched the video 3 times.  This bad fake has a gold colour glass back and side band, but the ring around the home button is silver! If you are going to fake an Apple product, you have got to get the details right!  Good click bait though.