Mac, iPhone highly preferred over Windows or Android by employees, survey says

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2018
A report by enterprise device management company Jamf found that more companies are allowing their employees to choose their own computers and mobile devices than ever before -- and the majority of them are choosing Macs, iPads and iPhones.

Jamf's new employee survey finds employees want Macs and iPhones

According to The Impact of Device Choice on the Employee Experienceby Jamf, the ability to choose their own devices is very important to employees. Jamf surveyed 580 enterprise organizations worldwide, querying executives, managers and IT professionals.

Jamf found that when it comes to computers, 52 percent of enterprise organizations now allow their employees to which type of computer to use at work. But of those that can, 72 percent choose Macs while 28 percent pick PCs.

It was a similar story for smartphones. Jamf's survey found that 49 percent of organizations allow employees to choose their own smartphone, but for those who can, 75 percent chose Apple or Android, while "less than a percent" chose BlackBerry.

However, the survey found that only 25 percent of respondents want to BYOD (Bring Your Own Device), and prefer a company-issued device of their own choosing. This is mostly because users "want to keep their business and personal life separate."

As Jamf works primarily with Apple products, there is a chance the survey is skewed towards Apple users, although its methodology merely states that the survey was "based on the responses from 580 executives, managers, and IT professionals from small, medium, and large organizations around the world."

Jamf concluded that allowing users to choose their own devices is important to employee morale and motivation.

"When it comes to attracting and retaining top talent in the enterprise, the job landscape is more competitive than ever," Dean Hager, CEO of Jamf, said as part of the release of the survey. "With the highest global talent shortage in 10 years, it's no wonder that a major priority for enterprise organizations is to create the ultimate employee experience. When employers combine the freedom of technology choice with Apple, the results are stronger employee retention, productivity and job satisfaction."

Jamf said in January that it now manages 9 million Apple devices.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    In my company I reserve a budget of 350 Euro per employee per year for smartphones.  The employee buys the smartphone he/she wants and I pay him/her back with the budget.   Non spent budget remains valid the next year, so an employee can buy a 700 Euro smartphone every 2 years. 

App developers get on top of that an Android phone and an IPhone, both without subscription

Developers can choose between Dell XPS (Ubuntu) and Macbook Pro, non developers get always a Dell XPS
    edited April 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 2 of 21
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Why would people prefer the Android smartphone? The Android OS is only eight years old and a copycat of iOS. Its advantage is cheap.  But why would people prefer cheapness? 
    radarthekatjbdragonStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 21

It was a similar story for smartphones. Jamf's survey found that 49 percent of organizations allow employees to choose their own smartphone, but for those who can, 75 percent chose Apple or Android, while "less than a percent" chose BlackBerry.

I think there might be an error here

tzeshan said:
    Why would people prefer the Android smartphone? The Android OS is only eight years old and a copycat of iOS. Its advantage is cheap.  But why would people prefer cheapness? 

Depends on the company - many will only offer a low-end SE or an equivalently priced Android, where you get more bang for your buck.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 4 of 21
    KITAKITA Posts: 392member
    tzeshan said:
    While Android's design was changed as a response to iOS, it's rather silly to start name calling an OS. I don't really know what you mean by "cheapness". Over the years, both iOS and Android have jumped leaps and bounds, often copying key features of one another. The Android ecosystem has devices that are low end and devices that are high end. The iOS ecosystem has always been focused on the higher end. If you look at the current iPhone X / iPhone 8 Plus, similar premium devices from Android manufacturers would be the Google PIxel 2 / 2 XL, Samsung Galaxy S9 / S9+, Huawei P20 / P20 Pro, Sony Xperia XZ2 / XZ2 Compact, etc.
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 5 of 21
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    tzeshan said:
    They might already be familiar with Android and would rather not learn a new OS, even if you think they're "copycats"
    muthuk_vanalingamavon b7
  • Reply 6 of 21
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    I think the mystique of computers, smartphones, and  applications has finally worn down in the C-suite to the point where most employees are generally getting the right tools to do their jobs these days. The bad old days (dark ages) of senior management and the IT department dictating who got what and when has largely subsided, at least in profitable and agile companies. I give a lot of credit for this to new hires, especially in design and engineering, who are basing a greater degree of importance on their offer acceptance on the tools and environment that they will experience at a hiring firm. Some things in the workplace have gotten worse over the years, e.g., benefits, but when it comes to making smart decisions about tools, workspaces, environment, ergonomics, and productivity things have improved enormously in the past decade or so. I hope the trend continues.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 7 of 21
    KITA said:
    tzeshan said:
    While Android's design was changed as a response to iOS, it's rather silly to start name calling an OS. I don't really know what you mean by "cheapness". Over the years, both iOS and Android have jumped leaps and bounds, often copying key features of one another. The Android ecosystem has devices that are low end and devices that are high end. The iOS ecosystem has always been focused on the higher end. If you look at the current iPhone X / iPhone 8 Plus, similar premium devices from Android manufacturers would be the Google PIxel 2 / 2 XL, Samsung Galaxy S9 / S9+, Huawei P20 / P20 Pro, Sony Xperia XZ2 / XZ2 Compact, etc.
    Android OS is a copycat from the beginning. Don't forget the history. iOS came out in 2007. Android OS in 2009. Android OS begins to evolve since 2009. But it is a copycat from the beginning. 
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 8 of 21
    tzeshan said:
    KITA said:
    tzeshan said:
    Android OS is a copycat from the beginning. Don't forget the history. iOS came out in 2007. Android OS in 2009 2004. 
    Android as an OS dates back to 2004, and as a mobile-centric OS since 2005. You may be confusing yourself with the multi-touch interface which we all grant Apple introduced before Android did. Considering that to be mimicking iOS is certainly understandable. 
    edited April 2018 jbishop1039KITAjony0
  • Reply 9 of 21
    zonezone Posts: 71member
    Android phones are for low IQ Walmart people who can't afford an iPhone. Ok well, maybe an over-generalization but sounds about right? Also, anyone who supports a foreign company is not a real American! Why would you support anyone who steals ideas from others because they have no innovation themselves? 
    edited April 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 21
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    gatorguy said:
    tzeshan said:
    KITA said:
    tzeshan said:
    Android OS is a copycat from the beginning. Don't forget the history. iOS came out in 2007. Android OS in 2009 2004. 
    Android as an OS dates back to 2004, and as a mobile-centric OS since 2005. You may be confusing yourself with the multi-touch interface which we all grant Apple introduced before Android did. Considering that to be mimicking iOS is certainly understandable. 
    And the Android UI circa 2004-2007 looked very much like Blackberry OS.  By 2009, it looked very much like iOS.  That's where people who know/care see the copying.

Some of us lived through the Linux + X Windows culture of creating skins that make your desktop PC UI look like other OSes (I had mine looking like NeXTStep for a number of years).  But it was just college kids doing it for fun and learning.  Never did I think a commercial vendor would do the same for profit.  And yet, here we are.
    edited April 2018 StrangeDayswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 11 of 21
    zone said:
    Android phones are for low IQ Walmart people who can't afford an iPhone. Ok well, maybe an over-generalization but sounds about right? Also, anyone who supports a foreign company is not a real American! Why would you support anyone who steals ideas from others because they have no innovation themselves? 
    Wealth and IQ are not so tightly connected as you would like to believe. Some of the wealthier folks I've known have a seemingly low-ish IQ sometimes combined with a demonstrated lack of common sense, and some of the lowest achievers have relatively high ones including a couple of close family members. A high IQ is a poor predictor of financial success. Connecting intelligence to overall wealth is no more dependable.
    edited April 2018 jony0
  • Reply 12 of 21
    gatorguy said:
    tzeshan said:
    KITA said:
    tzeshan said:
    Android as an OS dates back to 2004, and as a mobile-centric OS since 2005. You may be confusing yourself with the multi-touch interface which we all grant Apple introduced before Android did. Considering that to be mimicking copying iOS is certainly understandable. 
    OK I have made changes for you too. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 21
    tzeshan said:
    gatorguy said:
    tzeshan said:
    KITA said:
    tzeshan said:
    Android as an OS dates back to 2004, and as a mobile-centric OS since 2005. You may be confusing yourself with the multi-touch interface which we all grant Apple introduced before Android did. Considering that to be mimicking copying iOS is certainly understandable. 
    No change was necessary. "Copy" and "Mimic" are both describing the same thing.  
  • Reply 14 of 21
    zonezone Posts: 71member
    gatorguy said:
    zone said:
    Wealth and IQ are not so tightly connected as you would like to believe. Some of the wealthier folks I've known have a seemingly low-ish IQ sometimes combined with a demonstrated lack of common sense, and some of the lowest achievers have relatively high ones including a couple of close family members. A high IQ is a poor predictor of financial success. Connecting intelligence to overall wealth is no more dependable.
    I really wasn't being that serious. Case in point one of the richest man on the planted uses a flip phone! I just don't like all the Apple hate as they really built this industry. Just people liking something because they don't think its cool.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 21
    HTC Dream or T-Mobile G1, the first commercially released device running Android (2008).

jony0
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Sam123Sam123 Posts: 10member

The business world runs on Windows and Microsoft and other Windows based applications.
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 17 of 21
    gatorguy said:
    tzeshan said:
    gatorguy said:
    tzeshan said:
    KITA said:
    tzeshan said:
    No change was necessary. "Copy" and "Mimic" are both describing the same thing.  
    This is the mindset of a copycat. You change copy to mimic to avoid being called copycat. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 21
    zone said:
    Android phones are for low IQ Walmart people who can't afford an iPhone. 
    I'm guessing you're an Android user then
    Not necessary or helpful. Just sayin'. We should try being better than tit for tat. 
    MplsP
  • Reply 19 of 21
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Sam123 said:

The business world runs on Windows and Microsoft and other Windows based applications.
    As an enterprise software developer with a career of building software for Fortune 100-500 corps, I can tell you nearly all of our software are web apps (cross platform), and productivity is Office (cross platform).  The times are a changing. 
    edited April 2018 watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 20 of 21
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    tzeshan said:
    KITA said:
    tzeshan said:
    Android OS is a copycat from the beginning. Don't forget the history. iOS came out in 2007. Android OS in 2009. Android OS begins to evolve since 2009. But it is a copycat from the beginning. 
    I kind of think of it like windows and Mac - DOS PCs were around before the Mac, but the Mac changed everything and then Microsoft quickly copied Apple. The first versions of windows were atrocious but it eventually got to the point where it was usable and the wide device base and cheaper price point of many of them led to wide adoption. At this point anyone who says Android is not a viable platform is deluding themselves, and there have actually been features that came out first on Android. As a whole, the iOS device/App/OS ecosystem is superior, IMO, but if you want a cheap smartphone then Android is your bag. There are also people who are devoutly anti-apple and won't buy an iPhone on principle. (on what principle, I don't know)

As far as Mac vs Windows, I find Macs significantly easier to use. I tried troubleshooting my son's PC a few weeks ago, and widows is still a mess. Aside from gaming, there is precious little you can do on Windows that you can't do on a Mac. On top of that, the hardware is superior and when problems arise I invariably find myself spending less time to troubleshoot them than I did when I had a PC
    watto_cobra