Kuo: Upcoming 6.1-inch LCD iPhone may skip 3D Touch in favor of better glass

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple is allegedly switching up the touch technology in its 6.1-inch LCD iPhone, which may make the phone lighter and more durable but might also result in the sacrifice of 3D Touch, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo claimed this week.

2018 iPhone renders

The phone is expected to use "cover glass sensor" (CGS) technology in which the touch module is moved out of the display panel to the surface glass, Kuo wrote in a memo quoted by Feng. The design change is said to involve adding a thin-film sensor to the mix, raising parts costs from $23 to $26.

Apple will probably remove 3D Touch support on the phone to keep prices down, Kuo argued. The technology is predicted to remain on this year's two OLED models, sized at 5.8 and 6.5 inches, but Kuo speculated that CGS could be used on all iPhones starting in 2019, effectively killing off the control option.

Though not inconceivable, it is unlikely that Apple would scrap 3D Touch at this point. It's so fundamentally interwoven with iOS and some third-party apps that many users likely depend on it.

One possibility is that the thin-film sensor will be used in some sort of replacement for 3D Touch, though how that might work is unknown.

The 6.1-inch iPhone is otherwise expected to use Face ID and an edge-to-edge display like its OLED-based counterparts. Kuo has previously suggested that the phone could cost as little as $550, despite the 4.7-inch iPhone 8 currently selling for $699.

The analyst's forecast calls for the product to make up 65 to 75 percent of Apple's iPhone shipments this year, given the appeal of its price and minimal sacrifices to get there.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    This reminds me of the iPhone C rumors where all the so-called analysts assumed C stood for cheap(er). Gene Munster even speculated that the device might not have Siri or a front facing camera so Apple could sell it for cheaper. I don’t buy the notion that if a particular BOM part increases in price that means Apple has to cut something somewhere else to offset it. That’s assuming all other BOM component prices are staying the same. Kuo doesn’t know that.
    randominternetpersonmike1jcs2305radarthekatanome
  • Reply 2 of 27
    Genuinely interesting prediction article. Is it possible the company will remove 3d touch? Is it so widely used and needed? Will the omission benefit the lower sales price? 

Will the 4.7 be discontinued for this cycle? That is remarkable too.

Personally, I can not grasp the love for these huge displays, and they are getting much larger, except for the SE 2, perhaps. 

baconstang
  • Reply 3 of 27
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Could someone care to explain, if true, why the new LCD iPhone with Face ID won’t be 5.8”, like the OLED model? The three sizes further complicates the lineup IMO.
    edited April 2018 aylk
  • Reply 4 of 27
    leptonlepton Posts: 111member
    I really didn't get 3D touch. Virtually everything it does could already be done with a long press. A couple of things are cool, like peek and pop, but that's about it. 
    larryabaconstangaylkmattinozmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 5 of 27
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member

IMHO most probably no... 6.1" (actually 6.06") is the physical measure (diagonally) of a 4.7" w/Touch ID. What Kuo thinks a new full screen 6.1" may be just the classical 4.7" with bezels and Touch ID. Kuo was spectacularly wrong in his display size divinations for iPhone X. He'd predicted a bezel/function area with the X.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 303member
    Fine with me, I'll not miss 3D touch at all.
    baconstang
  • Reply 7 of 27
    ireland said:
    Could someone care to explain, if true, why the new LCD iPhone with Face ID won’t be 5.8”, like the OLED model? The three sizes further complicates the lineup IMO.
    That is the point. 6.1" display size makes no sense.
  • Reply 8 of 27

IMHO most probably no... 6.1" (actually 6.06") is the physical measure (diagonally) of a 4.7" w/Touch ID. What Kuo thinks a new full screen 6.1" may be just the classical 4.7" with bezels and Touch ID. Kuo was spectacularly wrong in his display size divinations for iPhone X. He'd predicted a bezel/function area with the X.
    Notice he never got hammered for this prediction either. The emperor’s new clothes.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    ireland said:
    That is which point? Your comment was made after mine. “Exactly”.
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 10 of 27
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,929member
    lepton said:
    I really didn't get 3D touch. Virtually everything it does could already be done with a long press. A couple of things are cool, like peek and pop, but that's about it. 
    3D Touch is kind of a bastard-child feature of iOS. It's not universally used, so you never know when it will 'available,' and as others have pointed out, it's not essential. (My wife didn't even know it existed on her 6s.) Still, taking it off of one model while leaving it on every other model doesn't make sense either. 

aylk
  • Reply 11 of 27
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    Can someone shed some light on something for me? I thought the point of OLED was, in part, it’s flexability which allowed Apple to get rid of the “chin” on the iPhone X. So if that’s true then how do they achieve the same design with LCD on the 6.1 inch model?
  • Reply 12 of 27
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    lepton said:
    You’re saying that they should just give it the ability to long press for things rather than force touch ? I always thought that they did force touch to differentiate from the long press functions that exist on Android?  One of my biggest things from my jailbreak days was a tweak called ccsettings. It gave the ability to open things from control center with a long press. For me the ability to open settings or turn WiFi and Bluetooth on or off etc ... with a long press important.  

If Apple would have added a long press instead of force touch to iOS the Android folks would have lost their minds. Hahaha.  I saw it on other forums when force touch was released. How this was another thing that Apple was playing catch up with. People just thought it was a long press they didn’t realize it reacted to pressure. 
  • Reply 13 of 27
    ireland said:
    ireland said:
    That is which point? Your comment was made after mine. “Exactly”.
    "The three sizes further complicates the lineup IMO." and I agree.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    I actually posted a question on Facebook last week, "Do you use 3D ForceTouch" and many have no idea what it is. And many also said no when I commented that it's when you press the glass hard to get context menus. And do I use it on mine? Nope. So, I am not surprised Apple may think it's not worth the extra cost. I think you can easily do 3D Touch with just software though by interpreting the width of a finger when pressed.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Genuinely interesting prediction article. Is it possible the company will remove 3d touch? Is it so widely used and needed? Will the omission benefit the lower sales price? 

Personally, I can not grasp the love for these huge displays, and they are getting much larger, except for the SE 2, perhaps. 

My MacBook Air sits in my closet for 11+ months each year, until tax time when I drag it out to download TurboTax (because the online version of TurboTax won’t, and shouldn’t, connect to my brokerage account to pull my trade data). 

For three years I’ve primarily used my iPad to manage my seven figure stock and options portfolio, write, and do the myriad other tasks I used to sit at a table and use my MacBook Air to do.

In January I replaced my iPhone 6 (4.7” display) with an iPhone 8+ (5.5” display) and now do much of my trading and investment research on the iPhone.  My usage between the iPad and iPhone went from 80/20 to closer to 40/60, respectively.  I’ll look forward to a larger display in about the same size form factor as the 8+ when the display is extended to consume the upper and lower bezels.  That’s when I’ll switch to FaceId and move beyond TouchID.  
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 16 of 27
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    I highly doubt 6.1" iPhone would cost only $550. 3D touch, some love it others don't care to use.
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Say what. Don't cripple your phones Apple. Fix the battery problems and streamline ffs. headphone jack no headphone jack dongle for the mac to lightening ffs.. mechanical home button, static home button no home button.. force tough no force tough. Tighten up T Cook.. $1000 too much for a phone fyi
  • Reply 18 of 27
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,724member
    I don’t think I’d miss 3D Touch as much as Airport. 
  • Reply 19 of 27
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,319member
    lepton said:
     Add delete and move in peek options and it could just be replaced by long press everywhere. Springboard is due for an overhaul anyway and there would seem to other system maintenance options like killing background tasks seeing if it's using location or private data that could be brought closer to the service with peek as a long press on all devices.
  • Reply 20 of 27

I find the precision cursor option when using 3D touch on the keyboard indispensable. I would be extremely surprised if they did remove 3D Touch in the next OS version.

Is there any precedence of Apple taking away software features on iOS? They removed the dedicated GameCenter app, but that was an app, not a software feature.

edited April 2018