iTunes for Windows available for download from Microsoft Store

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Fulfilling promises made nearly a year ago, Apple on Thursday released iTunes for Windows 10 on the Microsoft Store, ensuring compatibility with the latest Windows 10 S devices.

iTunes for Windows

As of today, Windows 10 users can download a native version of iTunes directly from the Microsoft Store.

Microsoft first announced plans to distribute iTunes through its first-party online storefront last May, saying Apple was working to market the software by the end of 2017.

In December, Apple delayed release, saying it would take "a little more time" to deliver the "full iTunes experience" to customers. A company spokesman failed to offer a concrete launch timeline or elaborate on what complications, if any, it faced in porting the content management software to Microsoft's locked-down operating system.

Prior to today's availability, iTunes for Windows was available only as a standalone download. Bringing the software to the Microsoft Store guarantees compatibility with Windows 10 S devices.

Aimed at the educational market and users who put a premium on security, Windows 10 S hardware runs a stripped down version of Windows that can only run software downloaded through the Microsoft Store. The setup is similar to Apple's controlled hardware programs like iPad in the classroom, which reduces exposure to security risks and streamlines installs in mass device management deployments.

With iTunes now available on the Microsoft Store, Windows 10 S users can now manage Apple hardware, purchase movies and music, and listen to streaming services like Apple Music.

iTunes is a free 476.7MB download from the Microsoft Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 424member
    i just dont know what to say
  • Reply 2 of 12
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Do Windows people really want iTunes?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    nunzy said:
    Why not? Its not like they didn't want it before...
    foljs
  • Reply 4 of 12
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I wonder if this is a harbinger of what it so come with a low-cost ARM-based Mac that can only get apps from the Mac App Store.

Streamlined for security and superior performance:
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 5 of 12
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    mike54 said:
    nunzy said:
    I now use a Windows machine since Apple hasn't been interested in an updated mac mini, or any reasonably priced headless mac, so, yea, since I still have an iPhone & iPad (Tim is still invested in these products), I'm still interested in iTunes.
    Lol , the Mac Mini is still good. macOS is still getting yearly updates.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    seafoxseafox Posts: 90member
    nunzy said:
    At this point I don't think Mac users really want iTunes -- at least not the versions coming out now.
    I bet the Microsoft Store version auto-updates too, so you can't easily avoid future crappy decisions in product direction.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    What did Apple get in return, will we see MS Office on the Mac App Store now?
  • Reply 8 of 12
    BFD
  • Reply 9 of 12
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    The proverbial “lipstick on a pig”.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    deminsddeminsd Posts: 143member
    So the only benefit of this version vs the Windows version one downloads from Apple is that now Windows 10 S users can get it? It's basically the same app?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    mnbob1mnbob1 Posts: 269member
    I'm a Windows user that has a variety of iPhones and iPads in the family. I didn't use iTunes on my Dell Windows 10 laptop with the highest level intel core i7 processor (not Windows 10S) because the Apple version of iTunes for Windows is a resource pig. I downloaded the Windows Store version for Windows 10 this morning and it is running great. It loads almost instantly and there is no lag time jumping from the store to my music library. Yes there are a lot of us Windows PC users that are part of the Apple ecosystem that don't own mac's. Just ask Apple.
    edited April 2018