Intel 10nm Cannon Lake delays push potential 32GB MacBook Pro into 2019

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple customers waiting for a MacBook Pro with 32 gigabytes of memory may have to wait until 2019 before they can buy the notebook, after Intel's warning that its 10nm "Cannon Lake" processors won't be shipping in high volumes in 2018, pushing the wider availability of the chip into 2019.

intel processor

Revealed during Intel's quarterly earnings report, the chip giant revealed it would continue to focus on shipping chips that use the established 14-nanometer process this year, reports PC Gamer. While next-generation chips using a 10nm production process will ship this year, Intel is instead shifting high volume manufacturing into 2019.

Intel CEO Brian Krzanich advised the change in pace was caused through issues achieving suitably high yields of 10nm chips. Rather than try to achieve high volume production this year, and potentially waste considerable portions of wafers used in manufacturing, the company is instead taking time to fix issues before attempting mass production.

The first generation of Intel chips to use the 10nm process, "Cannon Lake" aims to provide the usual performance improvements and reduced power consumption that accompanies such die shrinks. These updates make the processor a lot more useful for manufacturers of notebooks and tablets, due to their potentially low heat generation and lower battery usage.

From an Apple perspective, "Cannon Lake" has support for LPDDR4 memory, which can be used to help produce MacBooks and MacBook Pros with up to 32 gigabytes of memory without having to resort to DDR4 memory. The two technologies are not the same, despite the similar name.

This generation of MacBook Pro models can only use up to 16 gigabytes of RAM, in part due to the Intel processors currently used in MacBook production not including native support for LPDDR4. While it is possible, Apple is unlikely to add a new RAM controller with DDR4 support to the MacBook Pro in the short term, and would probably wait until the company performs a major shift in the processors it uses to "Cannon Lake" or similar chips.

The confirmed delay in "Cannon Lake" production not the first to happen to the next-generation processor line. In April 2017, it was rumored Intel would hold back introducing the processor line until 2018, while another report in September of that year suggested it would be pushed back from early 2018 to the end of the year.

Aside from waiting for "Cannon Lake" to arrive, the more immediate candidates for use in a MacBook could use "Coffee Lake," a 14nm platform that still doesn't support LPDDR4 RAM. Intel introduced new processors earlier this month that included the Core i9-8950HK, a six-core processor with a base clock speed of 2.9GHz, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, and the same 45-watt thermal design power as the quad-core 2.8GHz Core i7 used in the entry-level 15-inch MacBook Pro.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Whiskey Lake is yet another 14nm generation coming later this year. It is presumably yet another Skylake refresh, but if Apple is lucky Intel might have finally upgraded the memory controller to support LPDDR4/LPDDR4X as well.

It's a 3 year delay for Intel's 10nm, and right now there is no strong evidence that Intel is making real progress to fixing the yield issues such that they can release 10nm mass market professional (i.e., 4 core, 6 core) products in 2019 either.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    No wonder the iMac is gaining in popularity. After a decade+ of laptop design improving by leaps & bounds, we seem to be in a new golden age of all-in-ones.

i bought my first iMac since 2009 late last year. I’ve been using MacBook Pros in the meantime, but didn’t see the value right now. 
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 34
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    hattig said:
    Whiskey Lake is yet another 14nm generation coming later this year. It is presumably yet another Skylake refresh, but if Apple is lucky Intel might have finally upgraded the memory controller to support LPDDR4/LPDDR4X as well.

It's a 3 year delay for Intel's 10nm, and right now there is no strong evidence that Intel is making real progress to fixing the yield issues such that they can release 10nm mass market professional (i.e., 4 core, 6 core) products in 2019 either.
    According to the documentation I've seen, Whiskey Lake doesn't support LPDDR4.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 34
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    polymnia said:
    No wonder the iMac is gaining in popularity. After a decade+ of laptop design improving by leaps & bounds, we seem to be in a new golden age of all-in-ones.

i bought my first iMac since 2009 late last year. I’ve been using MacBook Pros in the meantime, but didn’t see the value right now. 
    Well, the value is mobility. If you don't need that, sure, use an iMac.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    jingojingo Posts: 117member
    But what does this mean for iMac refreshes?

I am holding off from buying a new one until the next update because of the lack-lustre improvements of the last update, so that is the critical question for me that you don't answer!
  • Reply 6 of 34
    Craig PCraig P Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    Bring on the ARM Macs!
    qwwerabikertwinlibertyforall
  • Reply 7 of 34
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    hattig said:

Crickey, I thought hattig was joking with Whiskey Lake, you know, we’d be needing some whiskey later this year with another Intel 14nm generation of processors.

Apple may have to make a 1” thick 5 lb laptop again for people who want >32 GB in a laptop...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 34
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    tht said:
    hattig said:

Crickey, I thought hattig was joking with Whiskey Lake, you know, we’d be needing some whiskey later this year with another Intel 14nm generation of processors.

Apple may have to make a 1” thick 5 lb laptop again for people who want >32 GB in a laptop...
    Or one could take the 2015 design and use the extra space for the controller and the bigger battery? Win win.
    Hell throw in an HDMI and USB A.  It’s still hilarious that I could buy a brand new iPhone and be unable to plug it into a brand new MacBook without yet another cable that wouldn’t work with the original charger. Say what you want but that is hilarious.
    edited April 2018 baconstanglibertyforall
  • Reply 9 of 34
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    jingo said:
    But what does this mean for iMac refreshes?

I am holding off from buying a new one until the next update because of the lack-lustre improvements of the last update, so that is the critical question for me that you don't answer!
    Probably not much.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    Cannon Lake rumored for later this year has been said for many months to only be targeting the 5W Y-series processors that are in the 12” MacBook.

That it’s slipping to 2019 is not surprising, but calls into question whether the Ice Lake U & H series parts, which will support 32GB of LPDDR4 for the MacBook Pro, will still ship in 2019. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 34
    tht said:
    That was me before I got the current generation MacBook Pro. I didn't care if my computer was thin or light. I just wanted a powerful, well-equipped computer and considered Apple's concessions to power and heat misguided.

Now that I have a thin, light, power-efficient, quiet computer, I wouldn't want to go back. For me, the reduction in fan noise compared to my old MBP is enough to justify the upgrade all by itself. Factor in the reduced weight of the kit I lug around and the comfort of it not ever getting too hot to hold comfortably (which the old one did) and the result is one user who's been won over by Apple's weight and watt conservation.

I'm in the group that will actually buy a 32GB RAM version whenever it becomes available, but I really wouldn't want to give up the improvements offered by the current models to get it. So, I'll wait another year.
    macxpressbrucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 34
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    seankill said:
    tht said:
    hattig said:

Or one could take the 2015 design and use the extra space for the controller and the bigger battery? Win win.
    Hell throw in an HDMI and USB A.  It’s still hilarious that I could buy a brand new iPhone and be unable to plug it into a brand new MacBook without yet another cable that wouldn’t work with the original charger. Say what you want but that is hilarious.
    Why would you want to plug your iPhone into your Mac? You realize most iPhone sales are to folks NOT using a Mac so it only makes sense to have USB A which the world outside the Mac still uses. 
    fastasleepjcs2305watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 34
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    tht said:
    That was me before I got the current generation MacBook Pro. I didn't care if my computer was thin or light. I just wanted a powerful, well-equipped computer and considered Apple's concessions to power and heat misguided.

Now that I have a thin, light, power-efficient, quiet computer, I wouldn't want to go back. For me, the reduction in fan noise compared to my old MBP is enough to justify the upgrade all by itself. Factor in the reduced weight of the kit I lug around and the comfort of it not ever getting too hot to hold comfortably (which the old one did) and the result is one user who's been won over by Apple's weight and watt conservation.

I'm in the group that will actually buy a 32GB RAM version whenever it becomes available, but I really wouldn't want to give up the improvements offered by the current models to get it. So, I'll wait another year.
    I just with they would do something about the damn keyboard. I went from a 13" MBP (2014) to a 13" MBP (2016) and now a 15" MBP (2016). The keyboard is still sh*ty and will start malfunctioned after the slightest bit of dust gets underneath the keys. I hope they rethink their butterfly mechanism.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    mazda 3s said:
    tht said:

I just with they would do something about the damn keyboard. I went from a 13" MBP (2014) to a 13" MBP (2016) and now a 15" MBP (2016). The keyboard is still sh*ty and will start malfunctioned after the slightest bit of dust gets underneath the keys. I hope they rethink their butterfly mechanism.
    Hmmm...I have a gen 1 12" Retina MBP which has the original butterfly keyboard and never an issue at all and I use it everyday at work. I'm also using one of the new bluetooth extended Apple keyboards which also has the butterfly mechanism and never an issue. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 34

tht said:

Its too bad others just want to piss and moan and not realize stuff like what you explained. Not that you don't, but I really do wonder how many that are bitching about the lack of a 32GB option really need it. Do they really need it for everyday tasks, or is it a nice to have? I have yet to have anyone explain what they're doing on a new(er) MacBook Pro where they constantly run out of RAM and if they are...why aren't they using a more powerful Mac anyways?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 34
    macxpress said:

tht said:

Its too bad others just want to piss and moan and not realize stuff like what you explained. Not that you don't, but I really do wonder how many that are bitching about the lack of a 32GB option really need it. Do they really need it for everyday tasks, or is it a nice to have? I have yet to have anyone explain what they're doing on a new(er) MacBook Pro where they constantly run out of RAM and if they are...why aren't they using a more powerful Mac anyways?
    Electromagnetic simulation of a 3D dielectric structure.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Craig P said:
    Bring on the ARM Macs!
    Who could blame Apple for putting out a A12 based MacBookAir at this point with intel?
    Craig P
  • Reply 18 of 34
    KITAKITA Posts: 392member
    tht said:

HP's recent 15" ZBook Studio G5 is 0.74" thick / < 5 lbs, has a Xeon 2186M (6 core), 32 GB DDR4 ECC, a Quadro P1000 4 GB GDDR5, 95.6 Wh battery and a 600 nit 4K display with 100% Adobe RGB.

If Apple wanted, I think they could do en excellent job making a 15" mobile workstation under 1" thick / 5 lbs.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    Intel refuses to let go of its complex instruction architecture. Its supporters say that it makes no real difference in performance yet in this article we see it makes all the difference in the world. All that extra real estate Intel needs to make its CPU work prevents it from using the latest manufacturing process. Apple's A12 will be 7nm this year before Intel completes its transition to 10nm. It won't be long before the fastest CPUs on the market will be ARM based with massive core counts targeted at desktop computers and cloud computing.
    tenthousandthingslibertyforallCraig Pwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 34
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    tht said:

Interesting to here from someone who changed their viewpoint, from wanting the "power luggable", to preferring the thin/light/quiet tradeoff which is the 2016/7 MBP once it was experienced for a period of time.  Do you find the 16GB limit has much impact on your work?

I need to upgrade, so only concern is on the keyboard (will determine if I get the 2017 version or a 2015 model).
    watto_cobra