Apple's rumored AR & VR 'T288' headset may use 8K eyepieces, implement WiGig

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    cpsro said:
    I love how difficult it is for our linear-thinking brains to grasp technological advances that improve exponentially!  Yes, that tower used in today's prototype will be in the user's pocket in 2020.
    That’s 2020, not 2030. No, I think this box includes the camera and 3D sensors and it’s a kinda of ATV Pro. So it makes possible new games for a new version of Apple ATV and new apps for educational and museum and demo settings. Then again I’m just making all of this up as I type this. We all have no clue what’s going on.
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 22 of 66
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    ireland said:
    lepton said:
    AR 2020 glasses that look fairly normal, and an iPhone model 2020 in pocket for the main processor, and we're all set!
    We’re all set for what? I’m wearing no glasses.
    “I’m not carrying one of those damn phones in my pocket.”
    radarthekatRayz2016StrangeDaysanton zuykovwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 66
    dougd said:
    Virtual sex
    Real sex is better.
  • Reply 24 of 66
    ireland said:
    What’s it for?
    You never know…

Perhaps Carpenter’s best film.
    cornchipjSnively
  • Reply 25 of 66
    ireland said:
    cpsro said:
    I love how difficult it is for our linear-thinking brains to grasp technological advances that improve exponentially!  Yes, that tower used in today's prototype will be in the user's pocket in 2020.
    That’s 2020, not 2030. No, I think this box includes the camera and 3D sensors and it’s a kinda of ATV Pro. So it makes possible new games for a new version of Apple ATV and new apps for educational and museum and demo settings. Then again I’m just making all of this up as I type this. We all have no clue what’s going on.
    You could be right about the venue, but I think the cameras (at least two for stereo) will be in the glasses.
  • Reply 26 of 66
    So it’s a dorky headset that requires a Mac Pro like device to be used? What is the purpose? 
    To see into the future using your whole body.
  • Reply 27 of 66
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    What sort of PPI are we even talking about for 8k displays for each eye?  I know there some Sony phones with 800 ish ppi on a 4k phone, but the screen there is about 5 inches across.  8k, and small enough to fit into glasses or a headset must be at least 1500 ppi.

Is that even available?  Not to mention the likely cost?

Doesn't seem at all plausible, I'll believe it when I see it.
    muthuk_vanalingamcornchip
  • Reply 28 of 66
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    I'm really curious if Apple is actually going to do this. As much as I love VR, the segment is pretty much dead now unfortunately. The biggest drawback with VR is the pixelation, and that's even with expensive models for PC use. I can't fathom Apple making something that's 8k resolution. That would have to be a pretty insanely powerful processor box for the glasses. 
  • Reply 29 of 66
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    crowley said:
    What sort of PPI are we even talking about for 8k displays for each eye?  I know there some Sony phones with 800 ish ppi on a 4k phone, but the screen there is about 5 inches across.  8k, and small enough to fit into glasses or a headset must be at least 1500 ppi.

As far as I'm aware, nothing like that is even available. I will believe 8k resolution in each eye when I see it. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 30 of 66
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    cpsro said:
    I love how difficult it is for our linear-thinking brains to grasp technological advances that improve exponentially!
    I could’ve sworn the brain processed data logarithmically. That’s why very young children say that 3 is the midpoint of 1 and 9, why we perceive our youth as being a larger portion of our lives (when you’re 3, a third of your life is the first year, but when you’re 30, a third of your life is the first ten years), and why you need 10 times as many copies of a source of sound for it to sound twice as loud as a single source.
    edited April 2018 caladaniancornchip
  • Reply 31 of 66
    crowley said:
    mike1 said:
    Might the "separate box acting as a brain" be a future Watch or iPhone? Hmm.
    With 8k output?  No.
    In 2020...? why not! :)
    blastdoormike1
  • Reply 32 of 66
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    crowley said:

As far as I'm aware, nothing like that is even available. I will believe 8k resolution in each eye when I see it. 
    There's another big tech with a similar project flying under the radar:  A VR-optimised OLED panel capable of 20 megapixels per eye, 90-120 fps, intended for AR/VR headwear and reportedly already in active testing. The project was discussed during SID Display Week in 2017 but has been kept under wraps for the most part since. Maybe foveated rendering being put to work? I think this augmented eyewear segment is going to see some big improvements in a very short timespan. 
    edited April 2018 muthuk_vanalingamboltsfan17
  • Reply 33 of 66
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member
    I'm really curious if Apple is actually going to do this. As much as I love VR, the segment is pretty much dead now unfortunately. The biggest drawback with VR is the pixelation, and that's even with expensive models for PC use. I can't fathom Apple making something that's 8k resolution. That would have to be a pretty insanely powerful processor box for the glasses. 

How is VR dead?  2 million PSVR headsets sold.  1 million VR headsets sold Q3, 2017

And the Microsoft store actually has people in it these days when I walk by because they are there looking at VR systems.

I bought VR system a few months ago and it's a lot of fun. As a Mac user since 1984, it's the first time in my life I bought a Windows computer for personal use, also first time in my life I had fun using a Windows computer (I've had to use them for work) because I only use it for VR.  I play a couple of hours every day and have lost quite a bit of weight doing so.

I started out buying the Vive because it was supposed to work with the iMacPro.  Never got it to do anything beyond the initial setup before I bought a PC to run it on.
    edited April 2018 fastasleep
  • Reply 34 of 66
    Nameo_Nameo_ Posts: 34member
    That “separate box acting as a brain” will be the next gen Mac mini...... no, it won’t.
  • Reply 35 of 66
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    alandail said:
    How is VR dead?  2 million PSVR headsets sold.  1 million VR headsets sold Q3, 2017
    All those saps…
  • Reply 36 of 66
    soulgsoulg Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    AMD acquired a company called Nitero recently. Nitero was the one with the 60GHz wireless IP. AMD took their staff too. I wouldn’t be surprised if AMD was working with Apple on the AR/VR chip. Apple is quite cozy with AMD and their VEGA GPU architecture now. In my opinion, designing a competitive GPU without stepping on AMD or Nvidia’s patents will be very, very difficult.
    radarthekatfrantisek
  • Reply 37 of 66
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    What do you mean, dead? PSVR has been selling like crazy, and is absolutely amazing for a 1st gen console product. I barely touch flat games anymore. Just demoed it for a friend the other day and he was sold in less than 5 minutes.
    radarthekatStrangeDays
  • Reply 38 of 66
    What do you mean, dead? PSVR has been selling like crazy, and is absolutely amazing for a 1st gen console product. I barely touch flat games anymore. Just demoed it for a friend the other day and he was sold in less than 5 minutes.
    And after AR/VR glasses arrive, flat video will seem, well, flat. And dead.
    iqatedo
  • Reply 39 of 66
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    Please keep this under wraps—we don’t want to risk Samsung stealing this idea.😉
    cornchip
  • Reply 40 of 66
    Blah, blah, blah, no delivery, blah, blah, blah, maybe next year or the year after when Apple thinks it’s ready and after amazon has made one for a year, blah, blah, blah, sell it for a lot then stop updating it, blah, blah, blah, abandon it because it became a commodity.  How about spending some time updating the Mac line.