Apple's rumored AR & VR 'T288' headset may use 8K eyepieces, implement WiGig

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    flaneur said:
    I'm really curious if Apple is actually going to do this. As much as I love VR, the segment is pretty much dead now unfortunately. The biggest drawback with VR is the pixelation, and that's even with expensive models for PC use. I can't fathom Apple making something that's 8k resolution. That would have to be a pretty insanely powerful processor box for the glasses. 
    What do you mean, dead? PSVR has been selling like crazy, and is absolutely amazing for a 1st gen console product. I barely touch flat games anymore. Just demoed it for a friend the other day and he was sold in less than 5 minutes.
    And after AR/VR glasses arrive, flat video will seem, well, flat. And dead.
    Am willing to be this prediction doesn’t pan out.
  • Reply 43 of 66
    bluefire1 said:
    Please keep this under wraps—we don’t want to risk Samsung stealing this idea.ߘ馬t;br>
    Rumor has it Apple are developing a new mesh router system where each node is battery powered and each are brown colored and resemble a swirling turd. Don’t let Samsung know before Apple get them to market. Rumored cost, $999.
    edited April 2018 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 44 of 66
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    I'm really curious if Apple is actually going to do this. As much as I love VR, the segment is pretty much dead now unfortunately. The biggest drawback with VR is the pixelation, and that's even with expensive models for PC use. I can't fathom Apple making something that's 8k resolution. That would have to be a pretty insanely powerful processor box for the glasses. 
    I doubt they will drive the entire 8k screen.  It’s there for resolution only, with output placed where the eye is looking, just a bit of overlay info here and there.  You need a display that is transparent and with pixels that can be written to directly, no refresh rate on this type of display.  The processor just turns on and turns off individual pixels, with most remaining off at any point in time.  Text output, small iconic images, basically information, like a heads up display. It shouldn’t be used for presenting whole maps or floating dinosaurs; those use cases would be far too distracting and therefore potentially dangerous.  A fine line will be walked with this type of user experience.  
    edited April 2018 frantisek
  • Reply 45 of 66
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    cpsro said:
    I love how difficult it is for our linear-thinking brains to grasp technological advances that improve exponentially!  Yes, that tower used in today's prototype will be in the user's pocket in 2020.
    ...and even if it wasn't in our pockets by 2020, would we complain today if Apple came out with an 8k monitor that required a computer to drive it, let alone 2 monitors side by side. 
  • Reply 46 of 66
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member
    I doubt they will drive the entire 8k screen.  It’s there for resolution only, with output placed where the eye is looking, just a bit of overlay info here and there.  You need a display that is transparent and with pixels that can be written to directly, no refresh rate on this type of display.  The processor just turns on and turns off individual pixels, with most remaining off at any point in time.  Text output, small iconic images, basically information, like a heads up display. It shouldn’t be used for presenting whole maps or floating dinosaurs; those use cases would be far too distracting and therefore potentially dangerous.  A fine line will be walked with this type of user experience.  
    if you track the eye, even with immersive experiences, you only have to render the top resolution in the direction your eyes are looking and you won't be able to tell the difference.
    radarthekatfastasleep
  • Reply 47 of 66
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    gatorguy said:
    crowley said:
    What sort of PPI are we even talking about for 8k displays for each eye?  I know there some Sony phones with 800 ish ppi on a 4k phone, but the screen there is about 5 inches across.  8k, and small enough to fit into glasses or a headset must be at least 1500 ppi.

Is that even available?  Not to mention the likely cost?

Doesn't seem at all plausible, I'll believe it when I see it.
    As far as I'm aware, nothing like that is even available. I will believe 8k resolution in each eye when I see it. 
    There's another big tech with a similar project flying under the radar:  A VR-optimised OLED panel capable of 20 megapixels per eye, 90-120 fps, intended for AR/VR headwear and reportedly already in active testing. The project was discussed during SID Display Week in 2017 but has been kept under wraps for the most part since. Maybe foveated rendering being put to work? I think this augmented eyewear segment is going to see some big improvements in a very short timespan. 
    foveated
    That’s why we keep you around.  Rarely pro-Apple, but always informative.  
    fastasleepmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 48 of 66
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Blah, blah, blah, no delivery, blah, blah, blah, maybe next year or the year after when Apple thinks it’s ready and after amazon has made one for a year, blah, blah, blah, sell it for a lot then stop updating it, blah, blah, blah, abandon it because it became a commodity.  How about spending some time updating the Mac line.  
    Is that supposed to be edgy, it's the same old shit like Meme I get at Mac Rumor, could try to be original at least.

Apple's still producing Ipods and support their products a minimum of 5 years now, unlike ADD champs Google, Amazon or even MS (when talking about hardware).
    radarthekatfastasleepcornchiptmay
  • Reply 49 of 66
    foggyhill said:
    Blah, blah, blah, no delivery, blah, blah, blah, maybe next year or the year after when Apple thinks it’s ready and after amazon has made one for a year, blah, blah, blah, sell it for a lot then stop updating it, blah, blah, blah, abandon it because it became a commodity.  How about spending some time updating the Mac line.  
    Is that supposed to be edgy, it's the same old shit like Meme I get at Mac Rumor, could try to be original at least.

Apple's still producing Ipods and support their products a minimum of 5 years now, unlike ADD champs Google, Amazon or even MS (when talking about hardware).
    He learned his standup trade over on MacRumors. He just needs to play other venues to learn he’s less funny than he previously considered.
    edited April 2018 cornchip
  • Reply 50 of 66
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    crowley said:
    What sort of PPI are we even talking about for 8k displays for each eye?  I know there some Sony phones with 800 ish ppi on a 4k phone, but the screen there is about 5 inches across.  8k, and small enough to fit into glasses or a headset must be at least 1500 ppi.

Is that even available?  Not to mention the likely cost?

Doesn't seem at all plausible, I'll believe it when I see it.
    As far as I'm aware, nothing like that is even available. I will believe 8k resolution in each eye when I see it. 
    Yes, if only there were a rich history of technology and specs increasing at an amazing clip. 
    mike1
  • Reply 51 of 66
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member

They updated all the MacBooks and the iMac last summer, released an entirely new iMac workstation last winter, and have a new Pro in development. What are you talking about?
    edited April 2018 fastasleepcornchipmike1
  • Reply 52 of 66
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    flaneur said:
    gatorguy said:
    ireland said:
    What’s it for?
    Gaming in all likelihood...
    Apple already makes a heckuva profit from them. 

I think many of us here misread Apple's intent when Mr. Cook discussed AR as opposed to VR. I can't see Apple leaving a few $B on the table from one of their most profitable services segments. They'll do a VR gaming headset.
    Secondarily for gaming. It’s the next stage in the evolution of the personal computer, comparable to earlier ones like the graphical interface and the touchscreen communicator in your pocket.

The pointing device is not a mouse or a finger, it will be your two eyes. Hands free and quick as a glance, and useful in another dimension, the 3rd or z-axis. “Hey Siri, what’s the address of that building? . . . What kind of tree is that in front of it.?” (Actually, Siri will remind you that she knows what tree you’re looking at.)

Text will be suspended in space, and cursor placement to change a word or letter will happen effortlessly. Dyslexics will learn to read and spell.

Binocular fusion, seeing the world in depth, is a powerful thing.
    Yes, you said it well,flaneur. That's a vision I've had since knocking about some primitive labs like Fred Brooke's UNC-Chapel Hill in 1990s.
  • Reply 53 of 66
    edac2edac2 Posts: 29member
    Do miniature 8K displays even exist? That's a pretty amazing spec!
  • Reply 54 of 66
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    edac2 said:
    Absent any supporting evidence, it's absolutely amazing... on paper. :smiley: 
    edited April 2018 cornchip
  • Reply 56 of 66
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    edac2 said:
    I'm guessing they'll need microled for that, they need very low power or you'll be carrying power bricks on the top of your head.
    frantisek
  • Reply 57 of 66
    steveausteveau Posts: 299member
    ireland said:
    What’s it for?
    Have you tried Google Earth VR? Visit anywhere on the planet (and probably soon the Moon and Mars) like you are really there. Invaluable for geographers, historians and urban planners. Equally you could walk through a planned building or structure, such as a bridge or a tunnel or even a pipe (scale doesn't matter), so it would be great for architects and engineers. Doctors and medical researchers could walk through parts of a body. The possibilities are endless.
  • Reply 58 of 66

Yeah, I'm kinda in agreement with this.  While I absolutely love my Rift with Elite Dangerous (it's a literal game changer), the applications beyond gaming are, at the moment, all niche.  Which actually describes gaming as well, given the current technological limits.  I've heard of some amazing things done in the field of phobia mitigation and even some physical rehabilitation.  I know a guy who is working on a VR application development environment, but he's hampered by the lack of acceptable VR sensor gloves.  There apparently are some available, but not any that are sensitive and versatile enough for the type of thing he's trying to do.  So he's been side tracked into attempting to design some himself. :)

The upcoming Vive Pro allegedly has increased resolution, as do a couple of Chinese models, e.g. Pimax, but the cost of the Vive Pro (the last number I heard was $800 for just the headset) is going to elevate that one to a more commercial market, I think, until the cost comes down.

If Apple makes a high resolution AR/VR device that is compatible with PC and/or Steam games and is reasonably priced (not significantly more than the current generation Vive and Rift bundles), I'll be on board.  If they make it only compatible with a Mac, I'll probably be passing on it.

If they're even working on such a thing, that is. :)

• Reply 59 of 66
    steveau said:
    ireland said:
    What’s it for?
    Have you tried Google Earth VR? Visit anywhere on the planet (and probably soon the Moon and Mars) like you are really there. Invaluable for geographers, historians and urban planners. Equally you could walk through a planned building or structure, such as a bridge or a tunnel or even a pipe (scale doesn't matter), so it would be great for architects and engineers. Doctors and medical researchers could walk through parts of a body. The possibilities are endless.

The only problem I have with Google Earth VR is that all the places I personally want to see aren't truly accessible there.  Though apparently someone did give Google permission to use the pictures they took at the top of Devil's Tower (because "Street View" works there), which is cool af and probably the only way I'll ever actually be able to see that. :)
  • Reply 60 of 66
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    If you mean in the general sense - is Apple going to pursue "smart glasses" for AR (first) and VR (second) - then I would say absolutely.  It is likely their highest priority for next completely new major product.  

This is just one rumour, but it certainly has elements that seem to make some sense - 8K resolution on the lens, wireless, requires more powerful silicon than currently available, etc.  If used in a VR case, it no doubt requires an external box.  For an AR use case, this external box is hopefully an iPhone. 

Most on here have looked at this only through the VR lens, though Apple has always talked up AR and not VR.  AR could (should) have multiple applications, though it no doubt will take time to know which ones become killer.  AR provides plenty of gaming possibilities (Pokemon Go example), tourist / travel, engineering, repair, ...).

Would this be ready by 2020?  Possible - though I would not be surprised to see it 2021 given the technology required.  Don't forget, we need to go through the stage where a dozen companies release large, clunky versions - the tech press bemoan that Apple is too late - and then Apple releases what becomes the standard...