Sprint and T-Mobile agree to all-stock merger deal worth $26 billion

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    How can a Sprint (CDMA) customer use T-Mobile’s (GSM) network?
    Easily. CDMA phones nowadays come with the GSM-capable chip. The question is how a T-Mobile customer can use the Sprint network. 
    bonobob
  • Reply 22 of 32
    rob53 said:
    So, Sprint is owned by  Japanese company (80%) while T-Mobile is owned by a German company (60%). This means the combined company would still be foreign owned. I guess that doesn’t bother anyone since most US companies are majority-owned by companies outside the US. 
    Axis powers are at it again. 
    StrangeDayskudu
  • Reply 23 of 32

What’s most interesting is that each company uses four totally different LTE bands, so every single one of their customers is going to need a new phone (with 8 antennae) to be able to use the new network.
    Not true. I’m using a Sprint phone on the T-Mobile network. Both Sprint and Verizon iPhones  are fully compatible with the AT&T and T-Mobile networks. 

It is the iPhones labeled for T-Mobile and AT&T that are not compatible with Verizon and Sprint networks. I was with AT&T for many years and always bought a Verizon iPhone. I then switches to T-Mobile and bought both Verizon and Sprint iPhones to use with the T-Mobile network.  
    edited April 2018 cornchipbonobobkudu
  • Reply 24 of 32
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    dougd said:
    I've been a satisfied TMO user for years. I get unlimited everything including tethering for a hundred bucks a month. I never get throttled either.

As far as I am concerned this is great news, it just means better coverage in fringe areas
    The loss of a competitor could never result in a price increase.

I'm a TMO user now, and am very pleased. But I am also skeptical that this news will be good for me as a consumer.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    eightzero said:
    dougd said:
    I've been a satisfied TMO user for years. I get unlimited everything including tethering for a hundred bucks a month. I never get throttled either.

As far as I am concerned this is great news, it just means better coverage in fringe areas
    The loss of a competitor could never result in a price increase.

I'm a TMO user now, and am very pleased. But I am also skeptical that this news will be good for me as a consumer.
    I wouldn’t assume T-mo will be raising prices. They’ll fire the deadweight that’s been holding down Sprint and I think they’ll aggressively continue to chip away at AT&T and Verizon to steal customers.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    One more reason to buy your phone unlocked "simless" direct from Apple.   Never, ever, buy from your carrier.
    GG1kudu
  • Reply 27 of 32
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    The new, combined company will be larger than either AT&T or Verizon.
    It will be interesting to see them squirm as they become the small fry in the market.  The school yard bullies will now be the bullied....

It would be even more interesting to see what kind of back room shenanigans they pull to try to block this merger.   Bullies hate being bullied.   They just hate it.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    The new, combined company will be larger than either AT&T or Verizon.
    It will be interesting to see them squirm as they become the small fry in the market.  The school yard bullies will now be the bullied....

It would be even more interesting to see what kind of back room shenanigans they pull to try to block this merger.   Bullies hate being bullied.   They just hate it.
    Every statistic I've seen says that they would be smaller then Verizon and probably smaller then At&t(obviously by a much smaller margin), so they'd only be on the verge of reaching as many customers as them, the good part being a company nearly twice the size, they would be on the same level as the other two.

Side note: Why are there so inconsistent statistics online, I've seen some website show all the carriers having less then a 100 million each, and others placing both AT&T and Verizon at about 150 million each?
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 29 of 32
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    sirozha said:

What’s most interesting is that each company uses four totally different LTE bands, so every single one of their customers is going to need a new phone (with 8 antennae) to be able to use the new network.
    Not true. I’m using a Sprint phone on the T-Mobile network. Both Sprint and Verizon iPhones  are fully compatible with the AT&T and T-Mobile networks. 

It is the iPhones labeled for T-Mobile and AT&T that are not compatible with Verizon and Sprint networks. I was with AT&T for many years and always bought a Verizon iPhone. I then switches to T-Mobile and bought both Verizon and Sprint iPhones to use with the T-Mobile network.  
    Yes, good point. That's why Apple require the Qualcomm chipset for iPhones compatible with Verizon and Sprint networks.

IMO, T-Mo+Sprint now have a fantastic opportunity to jettison the CMDA2000 legacy network fairly quickly; this would be one less carrier that requires the Qualcomm chipset.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_CDMA2000_networks
  • Reply 30 of 32
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member

Customers of the combined company would have greater coverage across the country, especially those in rural areas whose current provider would get a boost from the other company’s towers.

And even if regulators scuttle the merger, the companies said they had struck a roaming agreement that will allow customers of either company to use the other company’s network.

• Reply 31 of 32
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    sirozha said:
    So this is out of date?
  • Reply 32 of 32
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Better news for Sprint customers. Hope, at some point 5G brings some synergy among various cellular networks in USA who has hardly overlapping GSM,CDMA,LTE bands.