Apple AirPower Qi charging pad spotted at Vienna airport a fake, release date still unknow...

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2020
A traveler has spotted what appears to be Apple's unreleased AirPower Qi charging pad -- but the device is clearly a knock-off, despite claims to the contrary.

Apple's multiple device Qi charging pad, expected at some point in 2018, was allegedly spotted at the Vienna airport by Twitter user "ThePeterAllan". However, not only is some of the Apple product packaging off, most notably the Chinese labeling on the Lightning to headphone jack adapter in the center of the picture, but the device is clearly a knock-off.

The exact same pod was found by AppleInsider at assorted venues, including eBay and Aliexpress.

The Tweet was first spotted by The Apple Post, and not checked for veracity at all. However, in discussing the tweet, the publication has a fundamental misunderstanding about how the FCC works. While some international regulatory agencies have no secrecy clause, the U.S. version does, which has allowed Apple to release products "today" in the past. So, the lack of a FCC listing for the device means nothing.

Additionally, the venue, citing "sources," previously predicted the AirPower shipping in March.

AirPower appears to be connected to its charging puck through a single Lightning cable. The pad itself is large enough to comfortably fit an iPhone X, Apple Watch and an AirPods wireless case, and can charge all three at the same time.

Seen in a short promotional video aired during the iPhone X release keynote, when an iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, Apple Watch, or AirPods Wireless Charging Case are placed on the pad, a special tone is played and onscreen animation is displayed when they connect to the wireless charging pad.

Apple has yet to announce the price for the AirPower charging pad. Apple has only said that the device will ship in 2018.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    Has anyone been able to confirm that the oval puck is using a lightning connector? I know it’s going to be pricey, however if they include a 29w usb-c adapter and usb-c to Lightning cable that would be a double benefit.  Usb-pd when needed and Qi wireless charging for overnight kinda stuff. 
  • Reply 2 of 29
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Schiller said, “so look for the AirPower charger next year” in the keynote video, but Gruber said Apple said, “early next year”. It’s unclear if he’s misremembering or if Apple told him this personally. 
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 3 of 29
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    ortiz3m said:
    Has anyone been able to confirm that the oval puck is using a lightning connector? I know it’s going to be pricey, however if they include a 29w usb-c adapter and usb-c to Lightning cable that would be a double benefit.  Usb-pd when needed and Qi wireless charging for overnight kinda stuff. 
    It’s going to be 7.5w per device, max. Come to think of it, the total 22.5w the mat needs to give all three devices 7.5w may be proving an issue. Even a 12w iPad charger cannot do this. Unless, the wattage doesn’t combine like that. Though I don’t see why it wouldn’t.

Applying this logic it would need a 29w plug. Or at least a 23w.
    edited April 2018 [Deleted User]
  • Reply 4 of 29
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    These cheap fakes all come from Chinese pirates. They ruin the market and people are fooled into thinking the junk was made by Apple.
    racerhomie3redgeminipa
  • Reply 5 of 29
    If Apple could finally deliver something without bugs and on time it would be a miracle. Two steps forward, two steps backward is their new normal.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    tommikele said:
    If Apple could finally deliver something without bugs and on time it would be a miracle. Two steps forward, two steps backward is their new normal.
    On time? How is it not “on time”? I pretty sure they said it would be out this year? No specific date, month or even quarter was given. So Apple still has 7+ months to make sure it’s “on time”
    chasmmacxpressracerhomie3redgeminipaStrangeDays
  • Reply 7 of 29
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    I'm waiting for its release to buy my first AirPods too. Probably not the only one. I can see why it's eagerly awaited
  • Reply 8 of 29
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    I'm waiting for its release to buy my first AirPods too. Probably not the only one. I can see why it's eagerly awaited
  • Reply 9 of 29
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    ireland said:
    ortiz3m said:
    It’s going to be 7.5w per device, max. Come to think of it, the total 22.5w the mat needs to give all three devices 7.5w may be proving an issue. Even a 12w iPad charger cannot do this. Unless, the wattage doesn’t combine like that. Though I don’t see why it wouldn’t.

Applying this logic it would need a 29w plug. Or at least a 23w.
    You're saying that the PSU will be 7.5W despite having at least 3 distinct areas for as many devices which can support up to 7.5W today from Apple and rumored to support more in the future?
  • Reply 10 of 29
    ireland said:
    Schiller said, “so look for the AirPower charger next year” in the keynote video, but Gruber said Apple said, “early next year”. It’s unclear if he’s misremembering or if Apple told him this personally. 
    I would lean heavily toward the latter, but that could also mean someone at the event made an assumption or overheard an unconfirmed statement from their boss about it being released early 2018 (which was still over 3.5 to 7.7 months away from the event). I doubt anyone is mistaken about what they were told.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    I wish to see the AirPower to be rounded edge rectangular shape when released...these copycats can just dump all their shits.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    tommikele said:
    There hasn't been an official release date for it yet so how can it be behind? 
    mike1StrangeDays
  • Reply 13 of 29
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    supadav03 said:
    tommikele said:
    On time? How is it not “on time”? I pretty sure they said it would be out this year? No specific date, month or even quarter was given. So Apple still has 7+ months to make sure it’s “on time”
    So why is Apple announcing things so far in advance? It’s going on 6 months now since AirPower was announced and we have no idea when it will be available.
    tallest skilgatorguy
  • Reply 14 of 29
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member

macxpress said:
    tommikele said:
    Why did Apple announce it if it wasn’t ready? I thought vaporware was something Microsoft did.
    [Deleted User]tallest skil
  • Reply 15 of 29
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    macxpress said:
    tommikele said:
    It’s funny how you and a few others always defend Apple about product launches. To you guys Apple never pushes back or has problems or product delays. 

Do you seriously believe Apple is that perfect and does everything just how they want? 
    tallest skilphonephreak
  • Reply 16 of 29
    macxpress said:
    tommikele said:
    It’s funny how you and a few others always defend Apple about product launches. To you guys Apple never pushes back or has problems or product delays. 

Do you seriously believe Apple is that perfect and does everything just how they want? 
    It's not about blind devotion, it's about comprehending what was said without letting your personal bias affect the results. If Apple only said "AirPower coming in 2018" and you assumed it would launch by now and then claim that Apple missed their target then that your bias since we're still in 2018.

If we can find evidence—not hearsay—that Apple officially stated "AirPower coming in Early-2018" which reasonably means the first 4 months of the year as Apple commonly separates it into Early-, Mid-, and Late- then Apple has one more calendar day to make that deadline.

There are lots of examples of Apple missing self-imposed deadlines, but based on everything I've read I've seen nothing that says Apple missed a stated self-imposed deadline.

PS: One should always take supplier rumours coming out of China with a grain of salt.

edited April 2018 StrangeDays
  • Reply 17 of 29
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,723member
    Personably, if something is announced this way  I would like to be able to buy it within a subjectively„short“ time. > 6 months doesn’t fall in that category for me. And I start thinking why they announced it back then, or if a crucial element is still not ready. G5 laptop maybe? Open source FaceTime? The wireless charging AirPod case?  Ok, that’s maybe a bit harsh, but from a consumer journey standpoint I dislike this kind of marketing/waiting time as much as from a portfolio standpoint the discontinuation of the airport products. 
  • Reply 18 of 29
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    nunzy said:
    These cheap fakes all come from Chinese pirates. They ruin the market and people are fooled into thinking the junk was made by Apple.
    Provisioning genius Cook will dwarf them 
    (eventually...)
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 19 of 29
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

macxpress said:
    tommikele said:
    Why did Apple announce it if it wasn’t ready? I thought vaporware was something Microsoft did.
    Because if they hadn’t mentioned it then you’d be sneering about adding wireless charging to the iPhone and with no plan to support it. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 20 of 29
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    How long after an announcement and with no goods eventuating get can we legitimately get to call it vapourware?
    gatorguy