Apple officially discontinues AirPort router product line, available while supplies last [...

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 106
    macxpress said:
    ZZZeke said:
    And what do we do with Time Machine and our automatic backups? Mine runs to an external 2 TB hard drive plugged into our Airport Extreme. This is the most disappointing thing Apple has done in many years.
    Um, plug it into your Mac? If you want to have the files viewable to others using Macs on the network, you can just share the hard drive out, or individual folders. High Sierra has "advanced file sharing" from OS X Server. 
    Of course that means whichever Mac hosts the Time Machine drive has to be powered up and available 24/7, and capable of doing whatever it's intended for while also handling the additional processing, bandwidth, and throughput overhead associated with passing along the backups from every other Mac in the house. It's not unmanageable, but it's nowhere near as simple as just plugging a bare drive into an Airport.
  • Reply 102 of 106
    Like others, I mourn the passing. Airport devices have always worked well for me with minimum overhead on my part. Anyway, I looked at Eero and was close to buying- I was sucked in by the no brainer patch system and mesh network. I did try to find the performance hit from mesh, but couldn't find anything, just that it's 'spiffy'. Then I read the privacy policy. The network is remotely 'checked' every 10 seconds (!) or so, presumably so if there is an issue they can head it off. OK. But keep reading. All traffic is reported back and 'sold or shared with their marketing partners to help me get more value through targeted advertisements'. If you connect with a SNS (read Facebook), then it defaults to the SNS privacy. Good luck with that. So... I'm sliced, diced and sold. Essentially a prostate exam every 10 seconds. I'm moving on down the list...
  • Reply 103 of 106
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,007member
    macxpress said:
    ZZZeke said:
    And what do we do with Time Machine and our automatic backups? Mine runs to an external 2 TB hard drive plugged into our Airport Extreme. This is the most disappointing thing Apple has done in many years.
    Um, plug it into your Mac? If you want to have the files viewable to others using Macs on the network, you can just share the hard drive out, or individual folders. High Sierra has "advanced file sharing" from OS X Server. 
    One of the advantages to the Airport Time Capsule (and the reason I bought the thing in the first place) is having the backups occur without me thinking about it. Prior to that, I did backups by plugging an HDD into my MacBook Pro. That's not difficult to do, but I don't think I'm unusual in that I would tend to not get around to doing that as often as I should. Having backups occur whenever I'm connected to power makes it much more likely that I will have a complete, recent backup when I need one. 
  • Reply 104 of 106
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    bob1620 said:
    Anyway, I looked at Eero and was close to buying- I was sucked in by the no brainer patch system and mesh network. I did try to find the performance hit from mesh, but couldn't find anything, just that it's 'spiffy'. Then I read the privacy policy. The network is remotely 'checked' every 10 seconds (!) or so, presumably so if there is an issue they can head it off. OK. But keep reading. All traffic is reported back and 'sold or shared with their marketing partners to help me get more value through targeted advertisements'...
    Yet in what would be a substantial surprise to some here the Google Wifi system does not. Who'da thunk it?
    https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/6246642?hl=en
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 105 of 106
    SEJUSEJU Posts: 46member
    I hope they discontinued airport because they are about to implement WiFi access point functionality into HomePod and Apple TV, etc. This would make Airport as a separate item less useful.

We are using 2 AirPort Extreme + 2 Airport Axpress all wired to the network + RADIUS server and this works marvelously. Devices switch from one access point to the next depending from signal strength. I do not know what else I would need.