Apple's rumored AR & VR 'T288' headset may use 8K eyepieces, implement WiGig

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 66
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    alandail said:
    I'm really curious if Apple is actually going to do this. As much as I love VR, the segment is pretty much dead now unfortunately. The biggest drawback with VR is the pixelation, and that's even with expensive models for PC use. I can't fathom Apple making something that's 8k resolution. That would have to be a pretty insanely powerful processor box for the glasses. 

How is VR dead?  2 million PSVR headsets sold.  1 million VR headsets sold Q3, 2017

And the Microsoft store actually has people in it these days when I walk by because they are there looking at VR systems.

I bought VR system a few months ago and it's a lot of fun. As a Mac user since 1984, it's the first time in my life I bought a Windows computer for personal use, also first time in my life I had fun using a Windows computer (I've had to use them for work) because I only use it for VR.  I play a couple of hours every day and have lost quite a bit of weight doing so.

I started out buying the Vive because it was supposed to work with the iMacPro.  Never got it to do anything beyond the initial setup before I bought a PC to run it on.
    Maybe using the word "dead" wasn't accurate. Either way, VR has pretty much stalled though. Playstation VR sales have fallen flat since it sold well last summer. I do want VR to succeed, so hopefully sales will pick back up eventually. I bought a PSVR headset when they first came out. I actually bought the newer version of PSVR when that was released late last year. I use my PSVR a lot, but it seems like the big studios have stopped making games for it. There are a lot of decent indie titles on the PS Store. So which VR game is your favorite so far? I've been playing Skyrim VR. That is a pretty cool VR game. 
  • Reply 62 of 66
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    gatorguy said:
    crowley said:
    What sort of PPI are we even talking about for 8k displays for each eye?  I know there some Sony phones with 800 ish ppi on a 4k phone, but the screen there is about 5 inches across.  8k, and small enough to fit into glasses or a headset must be at least 1500 ppi.

Is that even available?  Not to mention the likely cost?

Doesn't seem at all plausible, I'll believe it when I see it.
    As far as I'm aware, nothing like that is even available. I will believe 8k resolution in each eye when I see it. 
    There's another big tech with a similar project flying under the radar:  A VR-optimised OLED panel capable of 20 megapixels per eye, 90-120 fps, intended for AR/VR headwear and reportedly already in active testing. The project was discussed during SID Display Week in 2017 but has been kept under wraps for the most part since. Maybe foveated rendering being put to work? I think this augmented eyewear segment is going to see some big improvements in a very short timespan. 
    That's really interesting. I didn't know that project existed. So far, the displays in the first VR sets has been my biggest complaint. It's going to be interesting to see how AR pans out. There is so much potential for the technology. 
  • Reply 63 of 66
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    ireland said:
    dougd said:
    Virtual sex
    Real sex is better.
    In movies, could be. In reality? It depends!
  • Reply 64 of 66
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    alandail said:
    I'm really curious if Apple is actually going to do this. As much as I love VR, the segment is pretty much dead now unfortunately. The biggest drawback with VR is the pixelation, and that's even with expensive models for PC use. I can't fathom Apple making something that's 8k resolution. That would have to be a pretty insanely powerful processor box for the glasses. 

How is VR dead?  2 million PSVR headsets sold.  1 million VR headsets sold Q3, 2017

And the Microsoft store actually has people in it these days when I walk by because they are there looking at VR systems.

I bought VR system a few months ago and it's a lot of fun. As a Mac user since 1984, it's the first time in my life I bought a Windows computer for personal use, also first time in my life I had fun using a Windows computer (I've had to use them for work) because I only use it for VR.  I play a couple of hours every day and have lost quite a bit of weight doing so.

I started out buying the Vive because it was supposed to work with the iMacPro.  Never got it to do anything beyond the initial setup before I bought a PC to run it on.
    Maybe using the word "dead" wasn't accurate. Either way, VR has pretty much stalled though. Playstation VR sales have fallen flat since it sold well last summer. I do want VR to succeed, so hopefully sales will pick back up eventually. I bought a PSVR headset when they first came out. I actually bought the newer version of PSVR when that was released late last year. I use my PSVR a lot, but it seems like the big studios have stopped making games for it. There are a lot of decent indie titles on the PS Store. So which VR game is your favorite so far? I've been playing Skyrim VR. That is a pretty cool VR game. 
    Where are you getting your data?

These are the only figures Sony has reported:

- October 2016 - release
    - Late February 2017 - 915,000
    - Early June 2017 - 1 million ("exceeded our expectations")
    - Early December 2017 - 2 million

And they expect to double the number of games available this year, to 280. Where do you get your info that the big studios have stopped making games for it, when there have only been a handful of those to begin with? Give it time, the games will come as the studios get their VR legs. 
  • Reply 65 of 66
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    gatorguy said:
    crowley said:
    What sort of PPI are we even talking about for 8k displays for each eye?  I know there some Sony phones with 800 ish ppi on a 4k phone, but the screen there is about 5 inches across.  8k, and small enough to fit into glasses or a headset must be at least 1500 ppi.

Is that even available?  Not to mention the likely cost?

Doesn't seem at all plausible, I'll believe it when I see it.
    As far as I'm aware, nothing like that is even available. I will believe 8k resolution in each eye when I see it. 
    There's another big tech with a similar project flying under the radar:  A VR-optimised OLED panel capable of 20 megapixels per eye, 90-120 fps, intended for AR/VR headwear and reportedly already in active testing. The project was discussed during SID Display Week in 2017 but has been kept under wraps for the most part since. Maybe foveated rendering being put to work? I think this augmented eyewear segment is going to see some big improvements in a very short timespan. 
    foveated
    That’s why we keep you around.  Rarely pro-Apple, but always informative.  
    Turns out that's exactly what makes it workable, foveated rendering. The headset will have a 18MP OLED display pushing 1443PPI and a 120-Hz refresh rate. Oh, and a 120x96 field of view. Pretty beastly...
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 66 of 66
    T288 is leading to an augmented future.

Some day mounted cameras able to see the REAL world and then show it to you IN LOTS OF WAYS through the glasses you are wearing:
    • Magnified distance vision like STEREO 3D telescopes (valuable in lots of jobs and for fun)
    • Magnified near vision like stereo microscopes (needed/useful in lots of jobs)
    •  Night vision capability
    •  UV vision capabilities
    •  Search for objects (faces/license plates)
    •  Instant replays of anything that just happened...in super slow mo.
    •  See behind you
    • Play any movie anytime anywhere
    • Audio enhancements will be just like the visuals and synchronized with the visuals (directional enhancement; amplification: noise filtration: notifications: your companion AI's voice)
    • Sensors  will monitor you health (Your Fitbit will be incorporated -- stats projected into the "world" screen.)
    •  You'll control your car with it (when it's not on "Auto")
    •  Record of most of your life (Audio-Visual)
    •  VR visiting remote people at any place in a realistic shared 3D rendering.
    •  Personal security systems (threat and criminal recognition)

Graphics (in enhanced 3D stereo) will overlay objects in the real world.  Since everything you'll be seeing is via the high res displays, any object can be enhanced...outlined...color altered...highlighted...identified...targeted (if you're a soldier).

Etc. Etc.  And all hands-free voice activated or controlled by eye motions.

All this is coming-- probably by 2030's. 

The T288 is the first step.  Mostly for fun. 

BUT SOON (2020) FOR REMOTE LEARNING.  Learn a skill from a real expert in VR (not some underpaid grad student) or attend lectures (by real experts or Nobel Laurates) remotely via VR.  No more brick and mortar Universities required...and education costs could be nearly free.