Analyst says Apple may forego Lightning-to-3.5mm adapter for new iPhones

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple will probably stop bundling a Lightning-to-3.5 millimeter adapter with this fall's new iPhones, according to a Barclays memo obtained by AppleInsider. The multinational bank also cut its price target for Apple stock from $168 to $157, citing worries about a "weaker iPhone franchise."

iphone7-lightningandheadphonedongle

"We currently model no dongle this year," wrote Barclays' Blayne Curtis. The analyst didn't provide any immediate evidence for the assertion.

Apple has included adapters with the iPhone 7, 8, and X, which otherwise lack 3.5mm jacks. The step is an admission that many people still have headphones, speakers, and other accessories that rely on the industry standard. In 2016 however the company touted its "courage" in removing the jack from the iPhone 7, suggesting it was part of a long-term plan.

Eliminating the adapter could frustrate some people, but would also aid corporate profits by cutting down on parts and packaging.

Pushing down expenses would be a logical step if the company also wants to push down end prices without harming margins, as multiple analysts and rumors have suggested. Outgoing KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo recently argued that an expected 6.1-inch LCD iPhone could cost as little as $550, below even the $699 an iPhone 8 currently costs.

Another analyst proposed that this year's 5.8-inch OLED model could start at $899 instead of $999 like the iPhone X. The higher price tag might instead be attached to a 6.5-inch "Plus" phone.

Barclays' reduced Apple stock target, shared by analyst Mark Moskowitz, is based mostly on research indicating "incremental deterioration in [iPhone] demand, particularly for IPX [iPhone X]." Echoing some other researchers, Moskowitz's view is that the price of the iPhone X is too high, and has probably "alienated many users."

He also contends that shoppers' main concerns are battery life, camera and texting functions, which means that average sales prices will decline for Apple and the smartphone industry as a whole.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    Ed_RandgadEd_Randgad Posts: 5unconfirmed, member
    a penny saved is a penny earned.
    saltyzipAlex1Njbdragonjony0
  • Reply 2 of 49
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Give me some black AirPods and I’m all in. 
    napoleon_phoneaparthammeroftruthAlex1Ntokyojimuwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 49
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Pure FUD. Haven't they been "predicting" a decline in ASP since the first iPhone? 
    radarthekatAlex1Nracerhomie3[Deleted User]pscooter63jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 49
    Start supporting input (not just output) from other vendor dongles and I do not care. No I will not wear those "earings" because I do not like to stuff my ears with some devices plus they leak sound like sieve. I prefer quality over ear stuff - not fashinable gadgets.
    baconstangcaccamuccaallmypeopleAlex1Nwilliamlondonpscooter63
  • Reply 5 of 49
     iPads 3.5 macs 3.5. Tight ship that apple. streamlining a slow process. all aboard!?
    baconstanglarryawilliamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 49
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    What is he basing this on?
  • Reply 7 of 49
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    Good, never used mine and I’ve never actually talked to anyone who has needed it.
    edited April 2018 [Deleted User]watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 49
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    It really is silly season out there. Now the Guardian is reporting rumors that Apple is interested in buying all or part of Condé Nast.

https://amp.theguardian.com/technology/2018/apr/29/apple-acquisition-rumors-first-quarter-numbers?__twitter_impression=true
  • Reply 9 of 49
    saltyzipsaltyzip Posts: 193member
    Exactly, Apple scrimping to try and keep their profits up.
    baconstang
  • Reply 10 of 49
    A fast charger included is a company appreciated.  B)
    elijahgjcs2305king editor the grateAlex1Navon b7[Deleted User]jbdragon
  • Reply 11 of 49
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    mavemufc said:
    Good, never used mine and I’ve never actually talked to anyone who has needed it.
    I use mine. I mostly use my BT headphones but occasionally they're someplace I'm not or I want better sound as my BT headphones are bone conducting. The adapter stays put on my Apple in-earphones. It's a nice, tight fit and the extra weight and/or bulk at the end helps a lot from keeping the end tangled and allows me to pull them out of my bag, unwrap, and inset without looking at them.

But how many do people need? I'm not only fine with Apple not including them, but also not including EarPods and the PSU. Maybe offer them as add-on items with the purchase of an iPhone with a steep discount if you buy any of them with the iPhone, and maybe next year without any discount applied to help mitigate some of the shock from change some buyers experience.
    edited April 2018 radarthekatking editor the gratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 49
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    No I will not wear those "earings" because I do not like to stuff my ears with some devices plus they leak sound like sieve. I prefer quality over ear stuff - not fashinable gadgets.
    Spoken with the true ignorance of one who has not used AirPods. "But Apple is just fashionable form over function!"
    redraider11king editor the gratewilliamlondonpscooter63fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 49
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    mavemufc said:
    Almost everyone I know uses the dongle. Last I checked, 3.5mm headphones were much more common than either bluetooth or lightning.
    baconstang
  • Reply 14 of 49

saltyzip said:
    Exactly, Apple scrimping to try and keep their profits up.
    Er, you do realize this is a rumor and not a policy? But I know -- why let that dampen a hater party!?

However it's inevitable that they won't supply these adapters for infinity. I've never even used mine, so I support the conservation of wasted resources. Most folks use the headphones that come in the box, and those who have favorite wired headphones likely already have an adapter or can spring a few bucks for one. Meanwhile, AirPods get more & more popular at my gym. As usual, the whiners & haters will bang their drum, while the rest of the world moves on... Which will you be?
    edited April 2018 Alex1Nwilliamlondonpscooter63fastasleepanomewatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 49
    MplsP said:
    mavemufc said:
    Almost everyone I know uses the dongle. Last I checked, 3.5mm headphones were much more common than either bluetooth or lightning.
    Last I checked most people use whatever comes with their ipod/iphone -- white wired headphones are ubiquitous, iconic. Those who have their own special wired edge case will have no trouble adapting them. But Apple isn't known for enabling edge cases, so I'm impressed they've supplied 'em this long.
    edited April 2018 Alex1Nwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 49
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Anybody who wants one already has one.

Apple is doing the right thing and the analysts freak out.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 49
    Start supporting input (not just output) from other vendor dongles and I do not care. No I will not wear those "earings" because I do not like to stuff my ears with some devices plus they leak sound like sieve. I prefer quality over ear stuff - not fashinable gadgets.
    They’re not just fashionable gadgets, they’re amazing for the office environment. Super light, I’m able to hear my podcasts while also being able to hear things going on around me, they pause automatically when I need to take them out, and no wires to get in the way. Just because they don’t work for you doesn’t make them useless for other people. 
    Alex1Nwilliamlondonpscooter63
  • Reply 18 of 49
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    As this is just a rumor from some nobody, yet the media picks up unproven stories without any kind of fact-checking anyways - yet classify themselves as "journalists", I would think that Apple would know if their adapters are in-fact being used on iPhones by occasionally sending diagnostic data from a user's iPhone every so often to determine if that adapter has been used, and how many times.

I bought an iPhoneX a few weeks ago to retire my tired iP6 and I have yet to use my earphone adapter.  It may get sporadic use if I'm on a trip or something, but I really don't miss my headphones one bit.

Sure there are the vocal minority here, but it's a non-issue I think for most, and even the SamClones are beginning to ditch it as well.
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 49
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    Analyst says “Smell my finger. …do you want to know where it’s been?”

But seriously, it is worth asking when Apple will stop shipping dongles (the answer has to be "some day", and if not today, why?), and also why they still ship Earpods with iPhones. If most iPhones sold are replacing older ones, that means a lot of these are just getting thrown in a desk drawer. I know I'd rather have $15 or whatever shaved off the price of my phone, or even let Apple keep that cash and put it into R&D or employee wages — I don't need more crap.

Anyway, between discontinuing the "free" (nothing is free, it just rolls into the price whether you need it or not) dongle or Earpods, I'd rather see the Earpods get dumped, but neither seems likely at this juncture.
    king editor the gratefastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 49
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    MplsP said:
    mavemufc said:
    Last I checked most people use whatever comes with their ipod/iphone -- white wired headphones are ubiquitous, iconic. Those who have their own special wired edge case will have no trouble adapting them. But Apple isn't known for enabling edge cases, so I'm impressed they've supplied 'em this long.
    The most common audio socket in the world is now edge case because Apple's abandoned it? Sorry nah. I suppose you think USB A use is edge case too?
    mazda 3scgWerksAlex1Nwilliamlondon