Analyst says Apple may forego Lightning-to-3.5mm adapter for new iPhones

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    elijahg said:
    The most common port in the world is now edge case because Apple's abandoned it? Sorry nah. I suppose you think PS/2 use is edge case too?
    Quote: You, 1997. 3.5mm is dead. 
    king editor the gratepscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 49
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Best path forward on this particular topic, for Apple, the environment and customers would be to sell, at cost, a dongle to any iPhone customer who wants one.  One, at cost, per registered iPhone.  Apple could denote this in their database so that a customer wanting to purchase a second or subsequent dongle associated with a registered iPhone would need to pay a higher price.  

Sell me a dongle, Vasily. One dongle only, please.”
    king editor the gratemuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 49
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    Or just put special store eVouchers in each device so you can scan and grab the cables that are useful to you and maybe use the remaining value to get discount on case or Airpods. Leave all the fluff out of the box.
    radarthekatretrogustodasanman69watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 49
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    mavemufc said:
    Good, never used mine and I’ve never actually talked to anyone who has needed it.
    Really? You must not talk to many people. I use mine frequently with my Logitech UE 6000 headphones.  
  • Reply 25 of 49
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,336member
    The usefulness of a given port does not suddenly vanish simply because Jonny Ive says so.  And to SELL SEPARATELY that dongle when iPhones are already quite highly priced (and which no doubt has contributed to rather lackluster acceptance of the iPhone X versus the iPhone 8 models) is unwise.  A penny saved is a penny earned, to be sure, but good PR has an even greater impact on the bottom line over time.  Most of us have NORMAL headphones, which means they come with a 3.5mm headphone jack.  And yes, some of us bought those headphones in the past, prior to Apple killing off the headphone jack on the iPhone.  And, some of us paid a pretty penny for those headphones with a 3.5mm jack, and we will probably continue using them for many years to come, not only with Apple devices but many non-Apple devices as well.  

So while we perhaps cannot change Johnny Ive's mind about restoring the headphone jack to the iPhone, we can send feedback to Apple at the following link to ensure our voices are heard in regards to their continuing to include a Lightning to Female Headphone Jack dongle FREE OF CHARGE, as it should be:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

And for those of you who don't know what to say, here is the exact text I sent to Apple today:

In today's news I see word of you folks possible killing off the headphone jack dongle that currently is included free of charge, as it should be, with every iPhone.  You may have killed off that important jack for better waterproofing; and if so, I can be somewhat understanding about that decision.  But you also are obligated to help people who have expensive headphones already which have a 3.5mm jack.  Some of us want headphones that work with non-Apple devices too, and therefore we need headphones with a 3.5mm plug.  Be nice to us, your customers.  Don't be excessively minimalistic, even if that's what Mr. Ive seeks.  Apple admits the hardest thing sometimes is to say No.  But please say No to excessive minimalism.  Please.
    Alex1Nbeowulfschmidtretrogusto
  • Reply 26 of 49
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    a penny saved is a penny earned.
    A fast charger included is a company appreciated.  B)
    Amen! 😎
  • Reply 27 of 49
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    The step is an admission that many people still have headphones, speakers, and other accessories that rely on the industry standard.
    This sentence says it all.

StrangeDays said:
    Last I checked most people use whatever comes with their ipod/iphone
    Including 3.5mm if that's what they provide. The problem is when it comes to replacements or using the iPhone with anything but the included ear-buds. And, then there are the mechanical issues regarding 3.5mm vs Lightning, given phones often reside in pockets while being used.
  • Reply 29 of 49
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    macseeker said:
    Who would think that keeping the 3.5mm jack on the low-end iPhone is synonymous with "bringing it back"?
    tallest skilAlex1Nfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 49
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Soli said:
    Who would think that keeping the 3.5mm jack on the low-end iPhone is synonymous with "bringing it back"?
    Didn’t you once say something along the lines of “spelling is irrelevant to discourse as long as the language used doesn’t prevent the understanding of the message”? I have absolutely no idea why I’m able to remember that and not the things which are important to my life such that I don’t want to kill myself, but hey–I do remember it. At any rate, perhaps they think something along the lines of the following: By updating the iPhone SE to a new model–and by that model having a 3.5mm jack–that means that Apple’s “newest iPhone” has a 3.5mm jack, and they are therefore “bringing back” the feature to “new” phones. The “logic” is so twisted that it doesn’t suit much more than a joke, but this is also coming from a guy who thinks that the iPhone SE 2 is a “follow-up” to “the 4.7-inch iPhone SE”, which is confusing in its own right. Since he’s so confused about what “keeping” means, maybe he thinks that Apple is “bringing back” the 4.7” screen by keeping the iPhone SE at 4”  :D
    edited May 2018 cgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 49
    Soli said:
    Didn’t you once say something along the lines of “spelling is irrelevant to discourse as long as the language used doesn’t prevent the understanding of the message”? I have absolutely no idea why I’m able to remember that and not the things which are important to my life such that I don’t want to kill myself, but hey–I do remember it.
    Spelling ≠ semantics, but it bad spelling certainly can obscure a meaning. There's a big distinction between a typo and logical errors, like declaring causality. For instance, if we applied that logic to the iPad line we should then assume that future iPads will have no laminated display, no anti-reflective coating, less RAM, 1st gen Touch ID tech, a 1.2Mpx camera, and a display that seems to be on par with the 2012 3rd gen Retina iPad. I really don't see how that's the case for the iPad, nor do I see the budget version of the iPhone line leading the way for the future of the iPhone. For all I know all those things will occur, but I'd bet against it.

At any rate, perhaps they think something along the lines of the following: By updating the iPhone SE to a new model–and by that model having a 3.5mm jack–that means that Apple’s “newest iPhone” has a 3.5mm jack, and they are therefore “bringing back” the feature to “new” phones. The “logic” is so twisted that it doesn’t suit much more than a joke, but this is also coming from a guy who thinks that the iPhone SE 2 is a “follow-up” to “the 4.7-inch iPhone SE”, which is confusing in its own right. Since he’s so confused about what “keeping” means, maybe he thinks that Apple is “bringing back” the 4.7” screen by keeping the iPhone SE at 4” :smiley: 
    I agree with all of this.
    edited May 2018 tallest skilwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 49
    The 3.5mm standard is more ubiquitous than the AC plug. Which means they're making more of these than they are the different power bricks that ship with the devices. $20/ea would be a good way to cash in on a widely unpopular attempt to destroy a universal standard while not admitting defeat.
    Alex1NcgWerkswilliamlondon
  • Reply 33 of 49
    The 3.5mm standard is more ubiquitous than the AC plug. Which means they're making more of these than they are the different power bricks that ship with the devices.
    I thought that was hyperbole in your first sentence, but your second sentence attempts to back up that claim. Just looking at Amazon's "Best Sellers in Electronics" I do see a lot of devices that include a 3.5mm jack, but all the ones that do seem to come with an "AC plug."

And how do you count a power strip? Number 14 (currently) on the list has 6 female and 1 male "AC plugs." I'd assume you'd count that as 7 since you specifically reference the plug, but since the whole notion is bit a head of a head scratcher I'm not really sure how you're getting these results. And this is just for electronics; there are countless other electric devices that run off of AC power that aren't in this category. Lamps and most appliances come readily to mind.

$20/ea would be a good way to cash in on a widely unpopular attempt to destroy a universal standard while not admitting defeat.

Apple only charges $9, which is quite good considering that it has an ARM chip, DAC, and other technologies as it's not just a basic dongle.

Google, on the other hand, originally charged you $20 for their USB-C-to-3.5mm adapter for their headphone jack-less Pixel 2. After a lot of backlash it's now $9, like Apple's. Since they came out with theirs after Apple, I wonder how much the technology in the adapter costs. That infamous "Apple Tax" must be infectious¡

I thought it didn't come with an included adapter, but after looking at an unboxing video I saw the adapter; I guess I'm thinking of a different device or misremembering completely. 

edited May 2018 Alex1Npscooter63fastasleep
  • Reply 34 of 49
    macseekermacseeker Posts: 545member
    Soli said:
    macseeker said:
    I may or may not agree with the article.  But the article was talking about future iPhones.  Because of this, I thought is was important to link the article in this thread.
  • Reply 35 of 49
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    macseeker said:
    I'm hoping and praying they keep it on the SE, but that wouldn't be bringing it back. My SE has one (which is partly why I bought it, besides it fitting in my hand like a phone).

Soli said:
    ... nor do I see the budget version of the iPhone line leading the way for the future of the iPhone. For all I know all those things will occur, but I'd bet against it.
    Hey, stop calling it a budget phone! :) Some of us bought it because it's the last real phone Apple makes.

Soli said:
    I thought that was hyperbole in your first sentence, but your second sentence attempts to back up that claim. Just looking at Amazon's "Best Sellers in Electronics" I do see a lot of devices that include a 3.5mm jack, but all the ones that do seem to come with an "AC plug." 
    I think the idea is that while AC plugs vary from country to country, the 3.5mm is pretty much a universal standard.

Hyperbole or not, I wish I could give that comment like 100 likes. "... cash in on a widely unpopular attempt to destroy a universal standard while not admitting defeat" was brilliant! Schiller calling it a 'legacy port' ranks right up there with his 'can't innovate, my ---' comment. At least he's very well paid to make a fool of himself.
    retrogusto
  • Reply 36 of 49
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    Slow news day, I guess, given how much play this is getting on Apple-centric sites compared to how much impact this will have on users (i.e., none at all). I had frankly forgotten that the thing was even included in the box (since I've chosen to hang on to my 6s for a little while longer), but I hope those who received one put it to good use.

Anecdotally the only people I see anymore with wired headphones on in public are Beats people ... most everyone I happen to encounter have wireless headphones of various sorts (AirPods are particularly popular in my neck of the woods -- I literally can't go a day without seeing at least one or two people wearing them).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 49
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    sflocal said:
    As this is just a rumor from some nobody, yet the media picks up unproven stories without any kind of fact-checking anyways - yet classify themselves as "journalists", I would think that Apple would know if their adapters are in-fact being used on iPhones by occasionally sending diagnostic data from a user's iPhone every so often to determine if that adapter has been used, and how many times.

I bought an iPhoneX a few weeks ago to retire my tired iP6 and I have yet to use my earphone adapter.  It may get sporadic use if I'm on a trip or something, but I really don't miss my headphones one bit.

Sure there are the vocal minority here, but it's a non-issue I think for most, and even the SamClones are beginning to ditch it as well.
    HTC tried ditching the adapter using the same reasoning when they introduced the Evo last year and got lots of negative pushback for it from both reviewers and buyers. They were portrayed as penny-pinching and petty, and worse eventually buckled to PR and ended up shipping out dongles at their expense to those who requested one which was more expensive than just including one to begin with. AFAIK they are now bundling one in the box. 
    edited May 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 38 of 49
    beowulfschmidtbeowulfschmidt Posts: 2,132member
    jdw said:

In today's news I see word of you folks possible killing off the headphone jack dongle that currently is included free of charge, as it should be, with every iPhone.  You may have killed off that important jack for better waterproofing; and if so, I can be somewhat understanding about that decision.  But you also are obligated to help people who have expensive headphones already which have a 3.5mm jack.  Some of us want headphones that work with non-Apple devices too, and therefore we need headphones with a 3.5mm plug.  Be nice to us, your customers.  Don't be excessively minimalistic, even if that's what Mr. Ive seeks.  Apple admits the hardest thing sometimes is to say No.  But please say No to excessive minimalism.  Please.

I would have agreed with you completely, had you not included that "obligated" line.  They aren't "obligated" to do squat.  It might make sense from a market and PR standpoint, but "obligated"?  No way.  Your desires do not impose obligation on someone else.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 39 of 49
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    chasm said:

Anecdotally the only people I see anymore with wired headphones on in public are Beats people ... most everyone I happen to encounter have wireless headphones of various sorts (AirPods are particularly popular in my neck of the woods -- I literally can't go a day without seeing at least one or two people wearing them).
    What about at home? There are NO wireless headphones that come close to the sound quality of good wired ones, much less something like the excellent B&O Play H6's (careful shopper purchased new for $30 more than Airpods). That tech just isn't there yet. 
    edited May 2018 muthuk_vanalingamjcs2305cgWerks
  • Reply 40 of 49
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member
    No I will not wear those "earings" because I do not like to stuff my ears with some devices plus they leak sound like sieve. I prefer quality over ear stuff - not fashinable gadgets.
    Spoken with the true ignorance of one who has not used AirPods. "But Apple is just fashionable form over function!"
    Really? I wouldn't be calling out someone for "true ignorance" if you think AirPods have either the right sound profile or quality for folks on the upper end of "audiophile"... but fanboys will be fanboys
    muthuk_vanalingamelijahgcgWerks