Apple reports best March quarter ever with $61.1B in revenue, 52.2M iPhone sales

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
  • Reply 22 of 48
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Great freaking quarter. Although, Apples inventory soared a whopping 164% Y/Y. 
    Isn't 164% growth good?
  • Reply 23 of 48
    k2kw said:
    Isn't 164% growth good?
    I'd say "yes".
  • Reply 24 of 48
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    I'm blown away.   Better than I expected.   Lots more phones.   I forgot that Asian new year is a big sales time in China like Christmas here.

Services are a rocket.   

Did I'd they say how HomePod did? I thought it would add $2 Billion?
  • Reply 25 of 48
    k2kw said:
    I'm blown away.   Better than I expected.   Lots more phones.   I forgot that Asian new year is a big sales time in China like Christmas here.

Services are a rocket.   

I don't think HomePod was broken out.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    k2kw said:
    Isn't 164% growth good?
    I'd say "yes".
    Why is it good? 
  • Reply 27 of 48
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I think the conference call was very interesting. It usually is, but this time it was a bit more so.

in talking about margins, material and parts prices were set up as a reason for the current margin, which is a bit lower than what we would want to see by about 20-40 basis points. The area called out was memory, which has been high for over a year now, actually almost 18 months. This was discussed and a question was asked about it, where it was stated that memory prices should be dropping soon. After hours, Microns price began to drop. Don’t know about Hynix.

but what wasn’t stated, was that Samsung, Hynix and Micron are being investigated for memory price fixing. Since these are collectively, most of the memory supply, it’s easy to see what’s happening. This isn’t the first time Samsung has been cited, and fined for this. I don’t have records for the others in front of me,
    pscooter63fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 48
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    k2kw said:

Services are a rocket.   

HomePod is part of the "Other" category just like Apple Watch so you will never get exact sales figures. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 48
    k2kw said:
    Isn't 164% growth good?
    I'd say "yes".

k2kw said:
    Isn't 164% growth good?
    Guys, that’s growth in inventory. That’s unsold product in the channel. It’s not what you think. And Apple said that they intend to pull that down.
    muthuk_vanalingamanantksundaramnetmage
  • Reply 30 of 48
    BombdoeBombdoe Posts: 56member
    macxpress said:
    k2kw said:

Services are a rocket.   

HomePod is part of the "Other" category just like Apple Watch so you will never get exact sales figures. 
    Very early days for HomePod. It'll see a slow and steady rise, and then Apple will revise it to the next level and it'll take off.  It's not like Apple don't know what they could do with it, they just prefer to do it step by step.  The Ox is Slow but the Earth Apple is Patient. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 48
    eightzero said:
    k2kw said:
    Isn't 164% growth good?
    I'd say "yes".
    Why is it good? 
    You have a problem with 164% growth? Are you kidding?
  • Reply 32 of 48
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    eightzero said:
    k2kw said:
    Isn't 164% growth good?
    I'd say "yes".
    Why is it good? 
    This kind of growth. Yes, there is a problem with that. 
    netmage
  • Reply 33 of 48
    zonezone Posts: 71member
    Apple still can't get any love. Any, any other company with these kinds of results the stock would be up a ton. If it was Amazon it would be up 30%. Great job Apple but really sad that they will struggle to break all-time high. Now the talk begins on how the next quarter will fall. Total manipulation by the ones who control the markets. Apple might as well file for bankruptcy!
    StrangeDaysequality72521watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 48
    eightzero said:
    k2kw said:
    Isn't 164% growth good?
    I'd say "yes".
    Why is it good? 
    This isn’t growth. It’s the amount of product in the channel waiting to be delivered to distributors, retailers, and customers. It’s, to an extent, yet unsold inventory. When it grows too much, it means that production is exceeding demand. Companies want a certain amount of channel supply to account for fluctuations in demand. But if that increases too much, it can mean that either demand is too low, or production is too high. For many products, Apple looks for 4-6 weeks of inventory in the channel.
    edited May 2018 StrangeDaysmuthuk_vanalingamnetmage
  • Reply 35 of 48
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Apple is still doooooomed. According to my reliable sources, Apple ordered 100 million screens for this past quarter and only sold 50+ iPhones. #FireCook 

Suck it, analysts. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 48
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    So those analysts that predicted doomsday are still employed....what a bunch of cracked 
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 48
    melgross said:
    k2kw said:
    Isn't 164% growth good?
    I'd say "yes".

k2kw said:
    Isn't 164% growth good?
    Guys, that’s growth in inventory. That’s unsold product in the channel. It’s not what you think. And Apple said that they intend to pull that down.
    Missed that critical detail. Anyhoo...
  • Reply 38 of 48
    carnegiecarnegie Posts: 1,077member
    melgross said:
    eightzero said:
    k2kw said:
    Isn't 164% growth good?
    I'd say "yes".
    Why is it good? 
    This isn’t growth. It’s the amount of product in the channel waiting to be delivered to distributors, retailers, and customers. It’s, to an extent, yet unsold inventory. When it grows too much, it means that production is exceeding demand. Companies want a certain amount of channel supply to account for fluctuations in demand. But if that increases too much, it can mean that either demand is too low, or production is too high. For many products, Apple looks for 4-6 weeks of inventory in the channel.
    To be clear, the inventories number we're referring to (i.e. that which is accounted for as an asset on Apple's balance sheet) is not the same as the channel inventory that Apple tells us about. It is the latter which Apple looks to keep in the range of 5-7 weeks worth. The value of inventories from Apple's balance sheet is considerably smaller than the the value of Apple's channel inventory. iPhone channel inventory, e.g., is now something like 20 million units likely worth considerably more than $10 billion. That channel inventory was reduced by 1.8 million units this past quarter and is something like a half million units larger than it was a year ago.

Inventories can fluctuate from quarter to quarter for a number or reasons. Apple might, e.g., decide that it makes sense to buy an excess of certain components in a given quarter because of current (and expected future) pricing. Apple could also, of course, overproduce products in a given quarter. But that isn't necessarily what the reported inventories number comes from. In this case, Apple has suggested that the large increase in inventories was caused by the former.

Anyway, I just wanted to be clear that channel inventory as Apple reports on it is not the same as the inventories number we're talking about here. Channel inventory represents products sold by Apple and accounted for in current revenues. Inventories can be unsold Apple products or, e.g., unused purchased components or third-party products (stocked in Apple stores).
    edited May 2018 netmagebrucemc
  • Reply 39 of 48
    RonnnieORonnnieO Posts: 38member
    melgross said:
    eightzero said:
    k2kw said:
    Isn't 164% growth good?
    I'd say "yes".
    Why is it good? 
     Apple has a lot of unsold inventory in the channel so they will have to cut production to some degree but from the earnings results and guidance it won't be because of slow sales. The analysts will once again put their own spin on this and the cycle will repeat itself once again. Look for the first article on this to come out the first week in June.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    carnegie said:
    melgross said:
    eightzero said:
    k2kw said:
    Isn't 164% growth good?
    I'd say "yes".
    Why is it good? 
    To be clear, the inventories number we're referring to (i.e. that which is accounted for as an asset on Apple's balance sheet) is not the same as the channel inventory that Apple tells us about. It is the latter which Apple looks to keep in the range of 5-7 weeks worth. The value of inventories from Apple's balance sheet is considerably smaller than the the value of Apple's channel inventory. iPhone channel inventory, e.g., is now something like 20 million units likely worth considerably more than $10 billion. That channel inventory was reduced by 1.8 million units this past quarter and is something like a half million units larger than it was a year ago.

Inventories can fluctuate from quarter to quarter for a number or reasons. Apple might, e.g., decide that it makes sense to buy an excess of certain components in a given quarter because of current (and expected future) pricing. Apple could also, of course, overproduce products in a given quarter. But that isn't necessarily what the reported inventories number comes from. In this case, Apple has suggested that the large increase in inventories was caused by the former.

Anyway, I just wanted to be clear that channel inventory as Apple reports on it is not the same as the inventories number we're talking about here. Channel inventory represents products sold by Apple and accounted for in current revenues. Inventories can be unsold Apple products or, e.g., unused purchased components or third-party products (stocked in Apple stores).
    Actually, it’s channel inventory That they were talking about, and when questioned about it at the conference, Apple stated that they intended to draw it down. All inventories, including those in the channel, unless marked as sold, are listed as an asset.

inventores are draw down as a matter of course. There is little inventory other than what’s in the channel. Companies attempt to keep a certain amount of product there so that inflow mostly matches outflow. At way they ca poor pull inventory as needed as a result of an unexpected momentary jump in demand, or a slowdown. If a com-any has massive amounts of finished product in inventory, then it’s doing a very bad job in managing that, and likely doesn’t know much about its own sales.
    edited May 2018