Apple's wearable division now the size of a Fortune 300 company

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited May 2018
Apple's wearable division, which is made up by the Apple Watch, Beats headphones, and AirPods, is up nearly 50 percent year over year, with CEO Tim Cook calling it the size of a Fortune 300 company.

AirPods, Apple Watch, with a HomePod

"Millions of customers are using Apple Watch to stay active, healthy, and connected and they have made it the top selling watch in the world." said Cook.

As recently as February, it was reported that the wearables revenue was "approaching" that of a 300 company. Alcoa, the 300th company on the Fortune 500 index in 2017 posted a revenue of $9.3 billion which gives us a good idea where the wearables division falls.

While the category as a whole is up significantly, Tim Cook mentioned that the Apple Watch specifically has set a new March quarter record.

This follows an impressive holiday quarter for the Apple Watch which was able to surpass the entire Swiss watch industry for the first time.

Individual sales numbers for Apple Watch, Beats, and AirPods are not broken down further, instead included in Apple's "other" category of revenue.

Aside from wearables, the "other" category includes products such as HomePod and Apple TV. This category is up year-over-year, now bringing in $3.95 billion compared to $2.9 billion a year ago.

The news comes way of Apple's quarterly earnings call for the second quarter, where the company announced a record-setting March period.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    But has it killed the likes of Rolex yet? 
  • Reply 2 of 21
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Presumably the HomePod is not yet classified as a wearable. ;)
    jbdragonpscooter63potatoleeksoup
  • Reply 3 of 21
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    People forget just how massive a corporation Apple is. They could buy up and shut down just about anybody.
    potatoleeksoupwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 21
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    But I just saw another comment that the Watch is useless. 
    jbdragonpscooter63StrangeDayspotatoleeksoupwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 21
    But I just saw another comment that the Watch is useless. 
    It's completely useless to those who don't own one. :)
    jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    But … but Rogifan said buying Beats was a mistake! 😱
    pscooter63fastasleepStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 21
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Rogifan is usually pretty quiet after earnings announcements. It takes awhile to figure out the whining angle...
    fastasleepStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 21
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    To be fair, I'd put my money on the AirPods outselling the AW, and contributing more to the bottom line.
    potatoleeksoup
  • Reply 9 of 21
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    I just got some AirPods 2 days ago. I was out someplace sitting and eating, trying to watch a little Youtube, and these Cheapo Bluetooth headphones I got from Amazon for about $25 were causing me issues once again. Cutting out by just turning my head. They never sounded great, and I was OK with that, but the connection issues, I couldn't take anymore.

I left from there and went straight to Worst Buy (Best Buy) and got a pair. I have to say WOW. The audio is so much better. I was watching a video at lunch, and I swear, I though I was hearing it live through the iPad or something. Something must be wrong. I take it out, and I don't hear anything, WOW it's the headset!!! Hearing Music is so much better, I was Amazed. You almost don't even notice wearing them. I can shake my head and they don't fall out. That's good enough for me.

The Bluetooth Range, also quite good. I was in my back bedroom in my house. Left my iPhone in there, and was able to walk to the other side of my house, and just started walking into my Garage and it cut out, and soon as I took a couple steps back, all was good again.

I should have gotten these things long ago. The price is high which is why I waited. But I have up on the cheap ones. I have a iPhone 6 and I've been reading up on issues people have been having with them. Like getting No GPS message when trying to use WAZE or something else. My phone is doing that. I think that's part of the problem and why these Cheapo headsets of mine are giving me issues now as they did used to work better months ago. I have 3 of these cheap ones and they're all working like crap when they didn't used to. They do work better on my iPad. But still sound like crap. The No GPS issue on my iPhone 6 is my biggest issue now and I have some parts ordered to fix it. I've done other iPhone repairs in the past so I'll live this a try.

I do plan to buy a new iPhone this year. The iPhone XI or whatever Apple calls it. That'll make 4 years for this phone for me, which replaced my iPhone 4 which I had for over 4 years. That's be 2 iPhones in 8 years. I replaced my iPad 3 late last year to a 12.9" iPad Pro.

AirPods seem a little costly. But compared to other completely wireless ones, it's not a bad price at all. It's nice to be able to just wear one at work so I can hear everything going on around me while I'm tuned into a audio blog. Watch the clone AirPods being sold on Amazon for a whole lot less. Less than half the battery life of the real AirPods. Doesn't have the amazing W1 chip from Apple. Going to sound like crap. I was struggling though thinking I'm going to buy these and 1 month later Apple releases version 2.
    fastasleepStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 21
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    Homepod is so awesomest (my word) as well if you haven’t got one.....it rocks my glass table
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 21
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    If by killed you mean eclipsed it in sales, yes. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Kuyangkoh said:
    Homepod is so awesomest (my word) as well if you haven’t got one.....it rocks my glass table
    Got one a couple of weeks ago. 

👍🏾
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 21
    brucemc said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Rogifan is usually pretty quiet after earnings announcements. It takes awhile to figure out the whining angle...
    Yup. 

“So the HomePod is part of the wearables division is it? After spending half a day with it strapped to the side of my head, I had a severe neck cramp and my left ear was sweating. Who designed this? I bet it was someone they picked up in the Beats Acquisition! I don’t understand why Apple bought that company! It’s brought them nothing but money!”

Something like that. 

pscooter63watto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 14 of 21

People often make the mistake of assuming that Apple sets to kill the competition. They don’t. In fact, Eddy Cue (He Who Must Be Despised) has been making comments to the effect that the streaming market is big enough for more than one player. As long as Apple meets its targets then they don’t really care what everyone else is doing. 
    watto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Okay, so it’s one day after the greatest March quarter in the company’s history.  The analysts and trolls have had time to pick through and look for nuggets they can use to predict impending disaster for the next quarter. 

Once Mom has finished using the Dell for work, the trolls will be here in force. 

Shipping forecast: low intelligence front giving way to an epic Butthurt Tsunami. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 21
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    That's all fine and dandy, but has Apple bought Shopify yet?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 21
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    No I meant by going the way of the dodo bird like it was predicted  
  • Reply 18 of 21
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    This state of affairs is not at all sustainable. I don’t mean for Apple–Apple’s doing quite well–I mean for the economy as a whole. FAANG is a quarter of the entire NASDAQ. That’s Facebook, Apple, Amazon, Netflix, and Google. Five companies. Let’s couple that statement with another (which will not be expounded upon). “The 1%” will own 2/3 of all wealth on Earth by 2030. They own 50% of all wealth on Earth today. Let’s go back to the stock market. Let’s also ignore the governmental and social implications of “having a monopoly,” too. This is the question which relates to the title of the thread: What happens to the global economy WHEN one of these five fails?
    Apple’s probably going to be the best off of any of them when it happens. Any of their failing branches can simply be dropped, and they could even “hunker down” in a branch to ride things out for a decent amount of time. But it’s still an important question to ask, and it raises a whole slew of other questions regarding the nature of the stock market (and monopolization) in the first place.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 19 of 21
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    This state of affairs is not at all sustainable. I don’t mean for Apple–Apple’s doing quite well–I mean for the economy as a whole. FAANG is a quarter of the entire NASDAQ. That’s Facebook, Apple, Amazon, Netflix, and Google. Five companies. Let’s couple that statement with another (which will not be expounded upon). “The 1%” will own 2/3 of all wealth on Earth by 2030. They own 50% of all wealth on Earth today. Let’s go back to the stock market. Let’s also ignore the governmental and social implications of “having a monopoly,” too. This is the question which relates to the title of the thread: What happens to the global economy WHEN one of these five fails?
    Apple’s probably going to be the best off of any of them when it happens. Any of their failing branches can simply be dropped, and they could even “hunker down” in a branch to ride things out for a decent amount of time. But it’s still an important question to ask, and it raises a whole slew of other questions regarding the nature of the stock market (and monopolization) in the first place.
    If more companies were like Apple the world would be a better place.
    tallest skildasanman69watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 21
    I have one question: Where are my Apple Shoes?
    watto_cobra