iPhone X-style notch added to LG G7 ThinQ after positive feedback

Posted:
in iPhone
The display notch in LG's latest high-end smartphone -- the G7 ThinQ -- was greenlit only after the majority of a survey group said they either liked or didn't mind the design choice first found in the iPhone X.

LG surveyed over 1,000 people in the U.S., U.K., Italy, and South Korea early into work on the phone, the company explained to Engadget. The poll group was presented with a series of mockups, and only 30 percent objected to the notch design.

"Some people hated that design, [saying] it's like a man's bald head like mine," commented LG's head of product planning, Shintae Hong. "Some people said [it is] cool... It totally depends on their personal choices, preferences."

The notch on Apple's iPhone X has been controversial. Though many people are now used to it, some critics have felt that it can be jarring, particularly with video or app interfaces that don't fully accommodate it.

At the same time, a number of major and lesser-known Android phone makers have added notches, sometimes as a purely cosmetic choice meant to evoke the prestige of the iPhone X. A significant exception is the Essential Phone, which launched before Apple's flagship.

In LG's case, Hong remarked that the company is working towards a fully edge-to-edge display, and considers the G7 notch a stepping stone.

Apple is believed to be preparing three new iPhones for this fall, all of them with edge-to-edge displays. These include 5.8- and 6.5-inch OLED models, and a more affordable 6.1-inch LCD unit. The company isn't expected to drop notches until 2019.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    What do they say about imitation, again?
    jbdragonapplesnorangescornchipcaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 31
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Oh yeah, cue "the notch was so obvious" schnooks...
    StrangeDaysSpamSandwichcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 31
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    Notch so happy here BUT Aplle was right on X design
    applesnorangeswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 31
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    No Asian companies copying Apple is obvious. At least Apple has a reason for the notch.
    jbdragongilly017
  • Reply 5 of 31
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    People love the notch. The iPhone X is the best selling iPhone in history.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 31
    No thanks. The notch is ugly takes up valuable screen real estate.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    paul turnerpaul turner Posts: 222member
    So genius how would you have designed it and where would you have put the sensors where the notch is? Cmon cintribute something rather than sitting on you ass criticizing , that easy!
    randominternetpersonmacseekerjbdragonnetmagenetroxpscooter63king editor the grateapplesnorangesjony0bluefire1
  • Reply 8 of 31
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    But it is!  And that size and shape of the notch, which just happens to look like the iPhoneX notch, is the only size that is possible to work!

...so now you think Apple should patent a notch design ...

/s
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 31
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Clearly somebody who doesn't have/use the X. Since I got it on day 1 I've never spent a moment thinking about nor noticing the notch. It's completely invisible in ordinary use. Meanwhile having the rounded corners of display is neat and I've noticed that.

Non-issue. Next.
    edited May 2018 jbdragonmike1king editor the gratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 31
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    brucemc said:
    But it is!  And that size and shape of the notch, which just happens to look like the iPhoneX notch, is the only size that is possible to work!

...so now you think Apple should patent a notch design ...

/s
    Yeah, especially the two perfectly rounded corners of the notch design! ;-)

king editor the grate
  • Reply 11 of 31
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    The notch was a 'compromise' on Apple's part.

Soon the components will be in the frame and the notch will be a thing of the past.

Asian companies 'copy' so much. Not just from Apple, but Mercedes, BMW, etc., and they just can't quite match the elan. No matter how hard they try. :)

retrogustoapplesnorangesgilly017watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 31
    larz2112larz2112 Posts: 291member
    nunzy said:
    My friends and I love the "Notch". It's a great dive bar and an annual place for old friends to gather around Christmas time.

SpamSandwichStrangeDayspscooter63king editor the gratehexclockcornchipgilly017flashfan207muthuk_vanalingamGG1
  • Reply 13 of 31
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    yea. i get it that a rectangle probably is obvious for a smart phone but a notch? all these companies are just too lazy to innovate. they just keep telling themselves what Apple has done is just obvious and so they can just copy the hell out of it. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 31
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    mike1 said:
    What do they say about imitation, again?
    Yet, they still have the bottom Bezel!!! Looks like crap. It doesn't have the uniform look of the iPhone X with all 4 of it's corners looking the same. It's a half-a$$ job.
    StrangeDayscaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 31
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    larz2112 said:
    nunzy said:
    My friends and I love the "Notch". It's a great dive bar and an annual place for old friends to gather around Christmas time.

Do they serve notch-o's at the bar?
    pscooter63king editor the grateapplesnorangescornchipgilly017boogerman2000
  • Reply 16 of 31
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member

How is it taking up Valuable Screen estate? So if it's just like a Black bar going all the way across, that's ok? That's LESS screen space!!! Apple gave people what they wanted. More screen, Less Bezel. The Notch is not taking up any screen, you get bonus screen on the left and right side of the notch. You are looking at things completely wrong. What you watch a Video, the Notch is not cutting into the video. Not unless you blow up the picture, to go into the notch, but that also cuts off a bit of the top and bottom of the video when blowing it up larger. This may be what you see in pictures of the iPhone X when the whole screen being used for a video and the notch is cutting into it. Not that after owning the phone for a bit, it even bothers you anymore.
    netmageapplesnorangesflashfan207watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 31
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Convergence of design? 

Apple put a notch there for technical reasons. These clowns are putting one for copying reasons. 
    StrangeDayspscooter63applesnorangescaladanianmuthuk_vanalingamevilutionwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 31
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Use an iPhoneX for more than 5 minutes, and it will be a moot.  I don't even notice the notch.

Besides, what would you have done?  Apple could have taken the obvious route and simply not extend the display around the sensor area.  Meaning, one would actually have LESS real estate than it does now.  Apple decided to add extra display areas to the side of the sensors.  Might as well right?

Waiting for your design specs.
    king editor the gratecornchipStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 31
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,253member
    “Critics say the notch is jarring...”
    That’s pretty dramatic language. Jarring is when a safe falls out of a window and lands a few feet from you. 
    I have only used an iPhone X at the Apple store a couple of times, but I bet you don’t even notice that jarring notch after the second day of use.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 31
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    So genius how would you have designed it and where would you have put the sensors where the notch is? Cmon cintribute something rather than sitting on you ass criticizing , that easy!
    If Apple could have avoided the notch, it obviously would have. As technology continues to advance, the notch will become a thing of the past.
    edited May 2018 watto_cobra