Why was iPhone X so successful at $999 despite a mountain of false reporting?

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 110
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    JonInAtl said:
    There are no "journalists" anymore.
    Not in news, not in tech, nowhere.
    The only thing we get now are stories copied from one another, maybe re-worded slightly to avoid infringement, if that.
    We also get "stories" that should be labeled opinion pieces. How often do you come across a story without the author's opinion included (sometimes with subtlety, often not).

When I was going to college, a friend told me he was going to journalism school to be a news reporter. When I asked him why he told me "to help make the world a better place".
    That is not the purpose of reporting.
    Do the research and give me the facts of the case. Nothing more, nothing less.
    1) That's not true. There's great journalism being researched and printed every day.

2) If they're copying articles, then who wrote the articles?

3) Those "opinion pieces" are called editorials.
  • Reply 102 of 110
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    Soli said:
    spheric said:
    Soli said:
    k2kw said:
    Soli said:
    k2kw said:
    How do they tell if they are Switchers from android?
    Do you mean switchers in general, or specifically from Android.
    Wouldn’t android represent 98% of switchers.  Maybe 1% windows phone, < 1% switchers from POTS.
    1) I'd think so, but you included that specific detail so I wasn't sure.

2) It's an interesting question. They could have employees keep track (which sounds like a bad idea, and would also need to get carriers to keep track), so I'd doubt that's it. They could use Apple ID creation, but that also seems very incomplete. Maybe they don't actually count "switchers" at all, but instead eliminate the number of buyers that have previous had an Apple ID assigned to an iPhone.
    It should be very easy for Apple to estimate the percentage of switchers from the migration tools used. I’d assume that most everybody uses Apple’s supplied tools (iCloud backup for iOS to iOS, „Move to iOS“ for Android to iOS). I’m not sure they could keep track of those who don’t use the app but sync from Google services, but they’re probably accounting for those as well. 

Apple know exactly who is buying their phones. 
    I use local backups for iOS, so when I buy a new iPhone are you saying that I'll be counted as a switcher? I also know a couple people that don't like to use backups at all for settings because they feel it causes their iPhone to start out wonky. That may have been an issue before, but I don't think it's common, but I digress. Do they count as switchers? My guess is that we don't because we use our Apple IDs.

I know switchers that never did that. For example, if they used Windows they could just use iTunes and the iCloud for Windows to sync their new iPhone.
    I'm not saying at all that you count as a switcher. I assume that as part of the iPhone's activation, it sends back a brief key to the mothership on how whether and how it's restored.

Very few iPhones are set up fresh from scratch, but I'm sure that Apple's internal statistics account for those outliers as well, or they're just -grouped under "unknown". But they're bound to be a miniscule percentage of purchases.
  • Reply 103 of 110
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    SEJU said:

MacPro said:
    SEJU said:
    Ok, but if the price would have been comparable to the previous generations, they would have sold more. The configuration I usually purchase would have cost me 1500 or so. I hope they will bring down the price to where it used to be over the next generations, but I doubt they will do so...
    Sold more maybe but at less profit. It's about profits not volume.
    BS. If nobody is buying your product it doesn’t matter how much profit it would make. It’s a balance of maximizing both.
    Such a silly thing to say. A scenario where "nobody" is buying the product is not in this universe. The topic being discussed is the claimed notion that Apple should undercut its profits and go for volume/marketshare -- the same, exact, stupid argument made by newbs about Apple every single year and launch. Amazed you're still clinging to it. Apple doesn't has never worshipped at the Church of Market Share. it goes for solid profit first, volume later. Obviously, they're right and this strategy has worked for them. Anyone claiming they should do otherwise is foolish.
    I disagree with the notion that someone arguing the X is a bit too expensive means they’re arguing Apple needs to go for market share over profits. Apple’s profit this quarter was $13B. Last quarter $19B. Nobody is posting quarterly profits like that. Before iPhone X was anyone here arguing iPhones weren’t expensive enough and Apple wasn’t making enough profit? I’m not saying the X is overpriced. What I am saying is if someone else thinks it is it doesn’t mean they want Apple in a race to the bottom. Arguing that something cheaper than $1000 is a race to the bottom or just chasing after market share is nonsense.
    No, it’s just mindless splitting of hairs. Armchair CEO masturbation and nothing more. Certainly not meaningful discussion. Your moving of the goalposts isn’t worth the time it’s taking to type these replies. 
    I am not bashing Apple, I find Tim and the team does a terrific job. It is probably unreasonable to some, but when I saw the prices go up over the whole line of products (iOS and macOS devices) over the last 5 years, and had certain experiences with their quality, software and hardware wise... Maybe it is just some sort of Pavlov's reflex where I associate one experience with another? Could be I sure hope so!
    There has never been more choice on what you want to spend on an iphone — there are many models to choose from on Apple.com...five, starting at $349. So your claim doesn’t make much sense. 

Sorry your MBP broke. Mine has been flawless and that is certainly the norm. It’s the fastest, finest Mac I’ve ever used, and I started computing in the ‘80s as well.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 104 of 110
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member

JonInAtl said:
    When I was going to college, a friend told me he was going to journalism school to be a news reporter. When I asked him why he told me "to help make the world a better place".
    That is not the purpose of reporting.
    Do the research and give me the facts of the case. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Actually yes, reporting the truth does in fact make the world a better place, like by exposing corruption and cronyism at top levels of the government, etc. 

And if you want “just the facts”, you’d better stop reading editorial columns. 
  • Reply 105 of 110
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Setting a high and unfair price for a product can have a devastating effect in the future. It’s killing the goose that lays the golden eggs.
    The iPhoneX BoM, R&D, manufacture cost and shipping combined is near $450, so Apple asks more than twice the value of its already expensive product. I call this unfair. 
    Others I know of think likewise, Apple is seen as an expensive brand and people might not consider it anymore at a certain point, especially because the competition currently has excellent low priced phones.

• Reply 106 of 110
    knowitall said:
    Setting a high and unfair price for a product can have a devastating effect in the future. It’s killing the goose that lays the golden eggs.
    The iPhoneX BoM, R&D, manufacture cost and shipping combined is near $450, so Apple asks more than twice the value of its already expensive product. I call this unfair. 
    Others I know of think likewise, Apple is seen as an expensive brand and people might not consider it anymore at a certain point, especially because the competition currently has excellent low priced phones.
    As others have already pointed out, you are missing (or choosing NOT to see) the big picture. Apple is selling phones from $349 to $1200. You can make a choice which suits your budget. There is no need to be fixated on just one model (iPhone X) when there are 7 other models (iPhone 6s, 6s Plus, 7, 7 Plus, 8, 8 Plus, SE) available to choose from.
  • Reply 107 of 110
    silvergold84silvergold84 Posts: 107unconfirmed, member
    This is the best smartphone. Really revolutionary and very simply to use. New way to use the iPhone. Speculation by some kind of media, that reported that fake news didn’t help , anyway is been the top seller and I’m very very happy to know it. In fact that media published articles about deletion of the X but after the official financial report they didn’t correct the articles. This is called fraudation. On more in the while other brands offer similar esthetic with notch without 3D sensor. So, image to be disinformated, and to read a (fake) news like that: would you to buy a product near to be deleted ? Or would you buy a similar design smartphone of few 100 dollars ? Not right. Thanks the "Sky" that plan to cheat didn’t work: the other brands be in difficult , and iPhone X sell much. 
  • Reply 108 of 110
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    knowitall said:

I call bullshit on the $450 figure, especially since you’re including R&D. Nobody has a handle on that outside Apple. 

Do note that the iPhone X is not only selling well despite “excellent low-priced” competition, but denotes the first time ever that the top-of-the-line iPhone has also been the most popular, to quote Tim Cook. 

I believe that implies that this supposedly ridiculously expensive phone is the most popular phone since the iPhone 6.

People seem to like unfair. 
    edited May 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 109 of 110
    jdiamondjdiamond Posts: 122member
    I think people who think $999 is a mental barrier just don't understand the Apple eco-system.  iPhones are a relative bargain - there's almost nothing in the store cheaper you can walk out with.  I admit, I tent to buy maxed out versions of everything because I need the storage space, so for me, a laptop costs at least $3,300*, an iPad Pro with accessories about $1,500.  And I buy for my family - I recently had to dump $6,000 because I had to do multiple upgrades to my family at once.

So an iPhone X starts at $999?  Great - that's cheaper than an iPad Pro and WAY cheaper than a laptop.

This is not to say I ENJOY paying super high prices.  But if somehow $1,000 scared people away you wouldn't see many people set foot in an Apple Store.
    Honestly, I was tempted to buy an iWatch JUST because I could get in early while it's still just $400, before the features increase and it too costs over $1,000.

Unfortunately, there's no good alternatives right now.  It's not like you can get an iPhoneX clone for $500 anywhere.

* I finally drew the line to NOT pay $5,000 for a 2 TB Macbook Pro only to find it costs me $1,000 to upgrade my 1TB, so I'm actually still paying over $4K for a laptop.  This is where I'm feeling the pain - at the expensive side - not at the ultra cheap iPhone X side.  :(