iPhone X-style notch added to LG G7 ThinQ after positive feedback

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    mike1 said:
    What do they say about imitation, again?
    That it’s the most litigable form of flattery.
    SpamSandwichbestkeptsecretwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 31
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    Apple should have patented the notch!

For those that say it takes up valuable real estate, what real estate are you referring to? I’ll second the request for alternative suggestions. Current sensor technology prevents them being integrated in the screen, so you’re stuck with a notch, a forehead (which takes up even more real estate,) or some genius miracle design that people aren’t sharing. I’d love to see this design!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 31
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Some are idiots and talk nonsense. To provide space for camera and sensors, phone needs long top bezel or some kind of nothch. Accept one or other and live with.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 31
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Oh yeah, cue "the notch was so obvious" schnooks...
    I've already seen a number of "Company X did the notch first" claims, and a few "The notch is the only solution, so Apple can't claim it was their idea".
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 31
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Oh yeah, cue "the notch was so obvious" schnooks...
    No Asian companies copying Apple is obvious. At least Apple has a reason for the notch.
    True! They still have a chin on this device and either a slight forward or they're just unable to get as close to the top edge as Apple did to make the 4 edges uniform. Having a chin and forehead defeats the purpose of needing a notch to have forward-facing components.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 31
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    bluefire1 said:
    No thanks. The notch is ugly takes up valuable screen real estate.
    So genius how would you have designed it and where would you have put the sensors where the notch is? Cmon cintribute something rather than sitting on you ass criticizing , that easy!
    If Apple could have avoided the notch, it obviously would have. As technology continues to advance, the notch will become a thing of the past.
    I hope so, but I'm not convinced. I'd love to get the notch components smaller so that the notch can shrink in both height and width. Especially width as my primary issue with the UI are the missing Status Bar items. We could see a smaller notch but now small can it really get? Is getting all those components behind the display really an option in the next several years?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 31
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    MplsP said:
    Apple should have patented the notch!

Are you kidding? That is just natural evolution, just like rectangles with rounded edges! /s
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 31
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    On the iPhone X the notch is a logical design solution. If I look at the LG I think why not shift the screen down to the bottom and get rid of the notch. This is just bad design and it looks like shit to.
    edited May 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 31
    Apple's notch makes sense because the screen extends to ALL 4 edges. These chinese clones still have a bottom bezel which makes the notch look ridiculous and functionally pointless - if you have bezel space, stick your gubbins there. At least make it symmetrical and have a bezel at the top to match the bottom LG. Probably cost a LOT less than manufacturing in a notch for no other reason than to look like the iPhone X.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member
    The notch was a 'compromise' on Apple's part.

Soon the components will be in the frame and the notch will be a thing of the past.

Asian companies 'copy' so much. Not just from Apple, but Mercedes, BMW, etc., and they just can't quite match the elan. No matter how hard they try. :)

I also think the notch will be a temporary thing.

The article mentions Essential as a significant exception predating the iPhone X notch but Essential wasn't alone:

Sharp is probably the brand that has pioneered bezeless design traits more than any other.

• Reply 31 of 31
    12AX712AX7 Posts: 1member
    No thanks. The notch is ugly takes up valuable screen real estate.
    Your comment is pure FUD. All previous versions of iPhone have had solid bars above and below the screen. iPhone X eliminates the lower bar, significantly reduced the height of the upper bar while also EXTENDING the screen up into it for MORE usable area. If Apple made a phone with a 100% edge to edge display and then later added the partial bar referred to as "the notch", then you would have a point. At some point I'm sure we will get a 100% usable edge to edge display and all these BS comments can go away from people that have no clue about what it really takes to get from one product design iteration to another. iPhone X was a major step forward and I'm amazed at how well face ID works right out of the gate considering how complicated the system is.
    watto_cobra