Google's Advanced Protection Program gains support for native iPhone & iPad apps

Posted:
in iPhone
Google's Advanced Protection Program -- intended strictly for people needing maximum account security, such as journalists, activists, and politicians -- now supports iOS' core Mail, Calendar, and Contacts apps.

google-advancedprotection

The upgrade means that iPhone and iPad owners wanting Advanced Protection can use Google services outside of that company's official iOS apps. The program normally blocks any non-Google software from accessing data.

Enrolled customers must sign into Apple's apps using a Google account, at which point they'll receive details on how to complete their login.

Advanced Protection forces the use of a physical Security Key to sign into an account on a new device, or after an existing device has been logged out. Account recovery in general is more complex, making it harder for attackers to impersonate users and seize control.

The system is not at all intended for the public, since it not only costs extra money but disables two-step verification, which is typically more convenient and secure enough for the average person.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    viclauyycviclauyyc Posts: 849member
    It will only work if google won’t willingly provide customer information to the government to “comply local law”. Eg, China and Russia. 
    jbdragonanton zuykovwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Nobody should trust Google with security. They sell your info to the highest bidder.
    macseekerjbdragonGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    RoyfbRoyfb Posts: 17member
    Why does Google's UI try to look like iOS 7? :| 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    viclauyyc said:
    It will only work if google won’t willingly provide customer information to the government to “comply local law”. Eg, China and Russia. 
    Google is banned in China.
    jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    viclauyyc said:
    China would be of zero concern. Not entirely sure if Google would comply with a legal order to disclose information to Russia but I might assume they would just as Apple does. Now with that explained I don't think you looked into what this is actually intended for anyway. If you are in the target audience it might be worth looking into since for the intended purpose it's a great program. Certainly not for the general public tho since it's extra steps, places limits on or blocks certain services and just not as convenient overall if you don't need that level of protection from hacks and online threats. The hardware key (I use one for a particular account) is a biggie since it always needs to be with you to sign in to the account.
    https://landing.google.com/advancedprotection/
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 6 of 13
    viclauyyc said:
    Google is banned in China.
    Google removed themselves from China proper, unwilling to kowtow to what the Chinese insisted on in return for operating there. Since then the "Great Firewall" has been used to prevent Chinese citizen's from accessing Google (and many other foreign internet services) operating outside the country. Simplified I know but no need for the entire history. If Apple refused to play ball with the Chinese government they too would be banned. For Google to return to the mainland would require adhering to access rules that they've so far not been willing to comply with then or now. 

That does not mean they would not like to have a greater presence in the country today (technically they do still have some operations there AFAIK, just not search and related stuff) and as recently as early last year it was rumored they were trying to come to some agreement with the Chinese for at least the Play Store, but at this point I'd consider it not very likely. If Apple couldn't negotiate their way out of some of the more onerous terms then I don't see Google doing it. Not that it matters to the topic at hand anyway. The Advanced Protection Program is not intended to avoid lawful court orders. 

edited May 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 7 of 13
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    nunzy said:
    Nobody should trust Google with security. They sell your info to the highest bidder.
    There is a fundamental difference between the free Google services that drive the Google ad business on one hand and on the other hand the paid Google services, where Google does not collect user data.  If the latter could not be trusted, Apple would not make use of it for the hosting of the iCloud servers.

And by the way, Google does not sell user data.  it sells the AdWords service which is driven by user data.   Companies that want to make use of the Google AdWords service to promote their product, don't get access to the user data.  I've run several AdWords campaigns wit my company: Google assures that the ads show up at people with the right profile, but I did not get any details about the users which actually were shown the ad or which clicked the ad.

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 13
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    nunzy said:

Is it unfortunate that this program spells "GAP Program"? Who would want a gap in their security?
    edited May 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 13
    lotoneslotones Posts: 58member
    "...journalists, activists, and politicians..."? Shouldn't everybody be entitled to "maximum account security"?
    berndoganton zuykovwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    lotones said:
    "...journalists, activists, and politicians..."? Shouldn't everybody be entitled to "maximum account security"?
    Absolutely and you're welcome to use their Advanced Protection Program. Just note that it's not quite as convenient, and your account and the things you typically might do with it are not as simple. But have at it. I mentioned earlier I use a physical hardware key with one of my accounts, but if I thought it was worth the tradeoffs I'd use it with all of 'em.  It's not for more casual use. 
    muthuk_vanalingamlotones
  • Reply 11 of 13
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    cropr said:
    nunzy said:
    There is a fundamental difference between the free Google services that drive the Google ad business on one hand and on the other hand the paid Google services, where Google does not collect user data.  If the latter could not be trusted, Apple would not make use of it for the hosting of the iCloud servers.

And by the way, Google does not sell user data.  it sells the AdWords service which is driven by user data.   Companies that want to make use of the Google AdWords service to promote their product, don't get access to the user data.  I've run several AdWords campaigns wit my company: Google assures that the ads show up at people with the right profile, but I did not get any details about the users which actually were shown the ad or which clicked the ad.

So, this is the "Good" Google?
    Isn't that like saying this is the good side of a scam artist?

No thanks, I'll stick to an organization that maintains solid values and ethics across the board.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 13
    cropr said:
    nunzy said:

So, this is the "Good" Google?
    Isn't that like saying this is the good side of a scam artist?

No thanks, I'll stick to an organization that maintains solid values and ethics across the board.
    Since I presume you are not a high-profile journalist, government official, or media star the Google Advanced Protection program isn't for you anyway. Those folks have more to lose from "hacking" and other illegal account intrusions than you do and your benefit from the added security they are provided wouldn't be offset enough from the inconveniences it introduces. The lesser account security you have now is plenty good enough. Stick to what you have.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 13 of 13
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Google and Security do not go hand in hand. Google couldn't care less about your security. 
    watto_cobra