How to use your iPhone to create your own passes and ditch your wallet

Posted:
in iOS edited October 2020
You may be closer to getting rid of your wallet than you realize. Here are a series of tips on how we've managed to replace most of our everyday wallet items with their digital counterparts.

Real Wallet vs iPhone Wallet app

Carrying a wallet can be inconvenient. They can grow with receipts, and often get cluttered with membership cards focused on where you live.

Before the latest iPhones adopted Qi wireless charging, you could use a wallet-style snap-on case rather than carrying a physical wallet. Wireless charging killed that methodology, as those rear-mounted cards would block the signal.

Recently, we tried an experiment to see how much we could accomplish with just an iPhone, and where a wallet is still mandatory.

Apple Pay

Apple Pay credit cards in Wallet app

First and foremost, we needed to be able to pay using our phone. Apple Pay is the clear method of accomplishing this.

One of the advantages of living in a bigger city is the adoption rate for mobile payments is higher than its rural counterparts. Most of the regular shops we frequent all use Apple Pay, though a few holdouts remain, such as CVS.

Unfortunately, since not everyone is on board yet, we still have to carry at least one physical credit card with us since we never know when we'll need it.

Especially with the launch of Apple Pay Cash in messages, splitting bills and paying back friends is easier than ever. For the few that don't have an iPhone, Venmo or Paypal are viable alternatives.

In our trials, in a larger city, Apple Pay is the solution 90 percent of the time we need to pay for something. While it doesn't allow us to completely ditch our wallet, it gets us most of the way there.

Movies, concerts, and more

Wallet passes

This also shouldn't come as a surprise, but the wallet app comes into play anytime we're heading to a concert, sporting event, festival, or the movies. All of the venues in our area accept wallet passes -- but this isn't true for all locales, so a little local research for you is in order.

Almost all airlines now support physical tickets, so as frequent travelers, that is one more thing we don't need to carry around in our wallet.

Between the two, our Wallet app is jam-packed with countless passes, but it is so much easier than needing to print them or carry physical tickets.

Create your own passes for loyalty cards

Duchess Crown Card Wallet app

Many retailers have started to allow you to store your loyalty cards within Wallet. Big chains such as Sam's Club, Chick-fil-A, Speedway, Walgreens, Kroger, and American Eagle are among them -- and there are many more.

It's simple to get those stores right into your Wallet app, but for others, it isn't as easy. They still either have physical cards or store your loyalty card directly within their own app. It is a frustrating barrier, but one that can be easily overcome.

Using an app such as Pass2U, you can just create your own scannable pass for any barcode-based loyalty or gift card. Pass2U gets extremely detailed in their creation, allowing you to add images, change the background color, add logos, and more.

We've done this for a few local stores like Duchess gas stations and Giant Eagle grocery stores, as well as bigger retailers such as Best Buy.

To create one yourself, open the Pass2U Wallet application, then either choose a template or start from scratch.

• Pass2U Wallet App
  • Pass2U Wallet App
  • Pass2U Wallet App
  • Pass2U Wallet App

Enter the relevant information, scan the barcode on your pass if necessary, and hit done. The app prompts you to add the pass to the Wallet app.

Business cards and receipts

Scanbot app

Wallets get piled up with both receipts and business cards. To deal with these in a digital world, we rely on the app Scanbot. It is a phenomenal application that we use for scanning all of our physical documents, storing them securely on our iPhone and within iCloud.

We have tags already created for both receipts and business cards, as well as whether they are personal or business related. They each get tucked into their own specific folders, where we can access at any time from any device.

If we need to send any information, Scanbot also has an iMessage app where we can scan a document, save it to our device, and send it to someone else at the same time.

Going wallet-free is still a bit further away

Nearly everything in our wallet can be replaced by our phone. Loyalty cards, tickets, credit cards, notes, receipts, business cards all can easily go digital. Yet, a backup credit/debit card and our ID still can't quite be completely left behind -- at least for now. But, with these steps you can cut way back on a leather monstrosity in your back pocket that can make you sit crooked, or weigh down your purse.

A true completely wallet-less future is still a bit away, but we're well on the road to that day.
Alex1Ncharlesgres

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,280member
    Driver's license, registration and insurance cards will probably be the last hurdle. After all, who wants to hand over their phone to a cop when getting a ticket. The solution may be a 2D code (like a QR) that an officer or other ID checker would scan that would give them the info without handing over the phone.

As I utilize Wallet more and more, I've been using one of those money clip things that can hold my license, registration etc., a card or two and some cash. Much easier to carry around.
    baconstangSoliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 35
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    mike1 said:
    Driver's license, registration and insurance cards will probably be the last hurdle. After all, who wants to hand over their phone to a cop when getting a ticket. The solution may be a 2D code (like a QR) that an officer or other ID checker would scan that would give them the info without handing over the phone.

As I utilize Wallet more and more, I've been using one of those money clip things that can hold my license, registration etc., a card or two and some cash. Much easier to carry around.
    I forgot about insurance cards! I actually use a digital one of those as well. I recently got pulled over (for my registration sticker's placement) and I showed him my insurance card on my phone, he glanced at it, and moved on. So I didn't actually have to give him my phone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 35
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    mike1 said:

I forgot about insurance cards! I actually use a digital one of those as well. I recently got pulled over (for my registration sticker's placement) and I showed him my insurance card on my phone, he glanced at it, and moved on. So I didn't actually have to give him my phone.
    What about ATM cards? How do I use Wallet on a typical bank's machine that dispenses cash?
  • Reply 4 of 35
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    mike1 said:

What about ATM cards? How do I use Wallet on a typical bank's machine that dispenses cash?
    A bunch of Wells Fargo ATMs take Apple Pay now. Bank of America promised it last year, but I don't know for sure how far along they are.
    jbdragontokyojimuwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 35
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Replacing my bank ATM card for my iPhone Wallet would be nice. That’s too close a physical connection to my bank account plus ATMs are classicly vulnerable to having data strippers installed on them. An Apple Pay tokenized connection would be far superior. 
    edited May 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 35
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    AppleInsider said:
    Using an app such as Pass2U, you can just create your own scannable pass for any barcode-based loyalty or gift card. Pass2U gets extremely detailed in their creation, allowing you to add images, change the background color, add logos, and more.
    I was a bit shocked that Wallet won't allow one to do with Pass2U and other apps can. It's *REALLY, REALLY* silly to have Wallet and then use a separate app for anything that doesn't have an app of its own. I'm not sure what Apple was thinking (or not) here.

But, re: Pass2U. I looked at that and it wasn't entirely clear what happens to the data you put in there. It kind of sounded like they sell it or used to send you stuff, etc. Anyone happen to know what their deal is and if they can be generally trusted?

And, like the author, I've still got ID cards and such I'd have to carry anyway, along with the card for non-ApplePay places (and some cash, I suppose). So, it's more lighter wallet, not no wallet. Plus, if you lose your phone or it breaks... that wouldn't be fun while traveling, either (but better than it happening to a wallet, I guess).
  • Reply 7 of 35
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Apple Pay, or NFC payment in general is getting much better. I know more and more places I go to are accepting it. I've been to places where the person had no idea it worked when I'm putting my Apple Watch over the terminal and BAM, the shocked look on the persons face that it actually work as they're telling me no, I can't do that.

But where is Home Depot? When Apple Pay first came out, it worked just fine, and then they stopped it. But they did say it was coming back soon and that's been quite some time now. Wal-Mart is stuck wanting to use it's dumb QR Codes. No thanks. I think Wal-Mart is going to hold out for quite some time. The other biggie are Gas Stations. I've seen some dumb things there like a few cars being able to pay inside their car using their Radio. Unless the gas is going to pump it's self, I think it's a little dumb and it doesn't even seem to be easier. You still have to enter a code on the pump, DUMB!!!

But it is getting better all the time. For example, this small Hot Dog place I go to once in a while, they have a large screen in front of the register where you can pay pretty much anyway you want. I just hold my Apple Watch up to it and BAM. That was yet another place where the owner didn't know I could pay with my Apple Watch. So small places to chains, more and more supporting it. Some places are going to be better than others. I think Apple Pay works at least 50% of the places I go to.

Why use it? #1 reason for me is Security!!! Having fraud on my card a couple times, 2 years in a row, since using Apple Pay,I've had none. Online I try to use PayPal as much as I can if I can't use Apple Pay, which isn't to many places Online yet. Don't link your bank account directly with PayPal, Go though your Credit card. You don't have the protection in place with direct bank access like you do with Credit Cards. You don't have as good protection with a Debit Card as a Credit Card also.

But the less you're handing out your Real Credit card to people, the safer you're going to be. Apple Pay for example is using a 1 time use Encrypted Token. Even if it was decrypted, it's not worth anything. With PayPal, again, you're not giving other businesses your real credit card number.

#2 reason is Apple Pay is much faster then using a card if you have to stick the freeken thing in the slot to read the chip. That takes forever!!!

#3 reason, Not having to pull out my wallet. I just stick my watch right near the terminal and BAM. That simple. Takes a couple seconds at most. You don't even have to have your iPhone. You setup the watch on it's own just like your setup your phone. They are independent from each other.

So I try to use Apple Pay everywhere I go. If it doesn't work, the person there can see I'm trying to use it and just maybe put in a word that maybe they should look into accepting Apple Pay at some point in the future. If it was my business, I'd be all over accepting NFC payments. I would want people to be able to pay just about however way they want. Because you want people's business. Repeat business!!!! Anything to make it better for people, otherwise they'll go someplace else or Online!!!!
  • Reply 8 of 35
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    In our trials, in a larger city, Apple Pay is the solution 90 percent of the time we need to pay for something. While it doesn't allow us to completely ditch our wallet, it gets us most of the way there.

Almost all airlines now support physical tickets, so as frequent travelers, that is one more thing we don't need to carry around in our wallet.
    Nice article. Some very useful info here, especially the Pass2U.

Too bad for me, but I'm quite the opposite on the 90% experience. I can't pay with AP on 90% of my purchases (which are a single grocery chain and three fuel stations).

I think "Almost all airlines now support virtual tickets" was meant here. They supported physical tickets for a very long time.

One potential problem with replacing loyalty cards or passes with a phone version is that the retailer might use a laser scanner. Laser scanners only support 1-D barcodes and also cannot scan any type of code on a screen (I'm not sure about OLED screens though).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 35
    linkman said:
    One potential problem with replacing loyalty cards or passes with a phone version is that the retailer might use a laser scanner. Laser scanners only support 1-D barcodes and also cannot scan any type of code on a screen (I'm not sure about OLED screens though).
    I also thought some of my cards didn't have bar codes, but I just checked and they all do. However, for places like the library (with self-checkout machine) or Costco (where you show your card to get in), I'd have to try it to see if they'll accept on-screen. But, I would like to shrink down my wallet, especially with loyalty cards. Most of them use our phone-number, so I tend not to carry them anyway. But if they could scan them vs giving phone number out, that would be nice.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 35
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    As you hinted at, Apple Pay is far from universal, less than 50% for the shops I frequent. What makes it more difficult is most of the time there is no clear indication that a shop takes Apple Pay until it’s time to insert your card, and sometimes not even then. If I want to use Apple Pay, I either wait to see if I can use it, then fumble around for my wallet when it turns out I can’t, or have my card out and ready, at which point i might as well just use my card. 
  • Reply 11 of 35
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 382member
    I downloaded Pass2u, and started to create a pass for a loyalty card. The app wanted me to login using my Facebook id (or one of Google or Twitter, I forget which). At this point, I closed and deleted the app.
    Alex1N[Deleted User]mrboba1jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 35
    Alex1NAlex1N Posts: 129member
    Interesting article - potentially useful, BUT: my blasted bank here in back-of-beyond Australia (where?) decided to go with Google (we sell you to the nearest bidder)’s GooglePay instead of (or ahead of) ApplePay. Time to seriously consider changing banks, I think. And letting ‘em know why I’ll be moving... Said bank have no doubt chosen Google on account of all the lovely DATA that they can acquire. Bah humbug.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    mike1 said:

A bunch of Wells Fargo ATMs take Apple Pay now. Bank of America promised it last year, but I don't know for sure how far along they are.

Westpac in Australia has an alternative (since they refuse to sign on to Apple Pay). From their app, you can request a "Cardless Cash" withdrawal. This generates a single use code that expires after 3 hours. This code can be entered into a Westpac ATM to withdraw exactly the amount of money you requested. Handy if you're worried about skimmers in the local ATMs. Or if you want to lend someone money, you can send them the code, and they just go to the ATM and get their money.

It's not as handy as just waving your iPhone at it, but it does have its benefits. I'd still like them to be on Apple Pay as well so I don't have to carry at my Visa to use at the places that don't take AmEx.

Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 35
    lolliverlolliver Posts: 494member
    Alex1N said:
    Interesting article - potentially useful, BUT: my blasted bank here in back-of-beyond Australia (where?) decided to go with Google (we sell you to the nearest bidder)’s GooglePay instead of (or ahead of) ApplePay. Time to seriously consider changing banks, I think. And letting ‘em know why I’ll be moving... Said bank have no doubt chosen Google on account of all the lovely DATA that they can acquire. Bah humbug.

I'm surprised you haven't swapped banks already. I moved to ANZ within a week of them announcing ApplePay support. Aside from the other 3 big banks most banks/credit unions in Australia now support ApplePay. Even Bendigo Bank does now and they were strongly opposed to it in the early days. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 35
    Alex1NAlex1N Posts: 129member
    lolliver said:
    Alex1N said:

I'm surprised you haven't swapped banks already. I moved to ANZ within a week of them announcing ApplePay support. Aside from the other 3 big banks most banks/credit unions in Australia now support ApplePay. Even Bendigo Bank does now and they were strongly opposed to it in the early days. 
    I'd be surprised too if I didn't have a deep distrust of banks in general (vide the current Banking Royal Commission). And my own typical laziness and dislike of major change. As a further piece of procrastination on my part I will contact them and see what their (nabbing) plans are  - but I suspect that the reply will be either "we cannot comment" or "we are never going to support Apple Pay". In which case, ANZ, here I come.

:(  :'(  :s
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 35
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    mike1 said:

Long ways to go, in other words...

(And let’s not get started on the topic of Wells Fargo.)
  • Reply 17 of 35
    MplsP said:
    As you hinted at, Apple Pay is far from universal, less than 50% for the shops I frequent. What makes it more difficult is most of the time there is no clear indication that a shop takes Apple Pay until it’s time to insert your card, and sometimes not even then. If I want to use Apple Pay, I either wait to see if I can use it, then fumble around for my wallet when it turns out I can’t, or have my card out and ready, at which point i might as well just use my card. 
    Yea, that is one of the problems. However, it still keeps the transactions that are ApplePay more secure. It certainly wouldn't speed things up for me, and as you say, might actually slow the process down.

I guess I've been pondering if that is a problem, though, and possibly might be a good thing. It gives some time to actually say hi and have a brief chat with the other person. Do we really have to reduce our payment time from 10 seconds to 5 in most situations?

bonobob said:
    I downloaded Pass2u, and started to create a pass for a loyalty card. The app wanted me to login using my Facebook id (or one of Google or Twitter, I forget which). At this point, I closed and deleted the app.
    I think that is about how far i got too. I can't remember if it had an option to setup a non Facebook/Twitter account (as either of those would make it a no-go), but then I said... why do I need an account? I think I'll just use an app that stores pictures securely, works with TouchID, and snap the front/back.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 35
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    mike1 said:

Why is the ATM such a stumbling block for some people? If you understand how all the *Pay systems work then you should understand how NFC at the ATM will work.

mike1 said:

Long ways to go, in other words...

(And let’s not get started on the topic of Wells Fargo.)
    The last line in the article states, "A true completely wallet-less future is still a bit away, but we're well on the road to that day." Nowhere did it say that there's no reason to carry a wallet or ditch all cards today. We're still years out, but "well on the road to that day."
    mike1
  • Reply 19 of 35
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    If you want to go wallet-less sooner rather than later and you often use ApplePay at businesses that don't advertise that it's available (often because they're not aware despite you using it at that establishment for the last 3 years) you can order decals from Apple for FREE that you can give to the owner/manager, or just go full renegade and slap on their window or door and register without asking.

edited May 2018 lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 35
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    Getting public transport swipe cards on board would be good.

I guess that would require Apple allowing them to access NFC. 
    As the above discussion about Australian banks shows, however, is that opening the NFC would let banks offer their own solution rather than Apple Pay.
    maybe just provide an API for transport cards to access the NFC? Maybe in iOS12?
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra