Disgruntled MacBook Pro users petition Apple to recall defective keyboards

Comments

• Reply 21 of 79
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    anome said:

[...] Put simply, the number of people with genuine mechanical problems are the only thing to consider when issuing a recall.

Apple's failure figures may not be accurate, either. The keyboard in my 2016 15" MBP TB has become unusable three times, but each time I've fixed it myself because the wait for a Genius Bar appointment is over a week around here. That means Apple doesn't know that I'm having problems. I don't know if there are many others like me, but if so, it could make the issue look less widespread than it actually is.

The type of fault that would prompt a recall is unlikely to be something you can fix easily without voiding the warranty. I don't know what the nature of your problem is, but if it's a major mechanical problem, you should probably get a Genius Bar appointment even if you've managed to get it working in the meantime. Especially if it's recurrent. Take it in and explain what the problem was, and what you did to fix it. (The fan in my Mac Mini was intermittently getting loud, and I cancelled a couple of appointments when it didn't seem to threatening, but when I finally got it to them it turned out that the HDD in my Fusion Drive was failing and needed replacement.)

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 22 of 79
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 529member
    Not just Pros. My 2017 12” MacBook has started having keyboard problems. 
    ireland
  • Reply 23 of 79
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member
    wanderso said:
    If out of warranty and replacement isn't an option, it seems that some will end up carrying around Bluetooth keyboards vs $700 to fix.  So much for portability if that happens. :)... 

Best wishes though that a solution is worked por for those facing a problem. In the past, Apple has extended warranties for issues like this. 
    I always get AppleCare+ on all my expensive Apple purchases. 
    I broke my iPad screen, no problem. Got it replaced with a new iPad from Apple for $50.

Trying to get Apple to repair something very expensive out of warranty for free is always difficult.
    Again, the answer imo is to get AppleCare+. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 24 of 79
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    Rayz2016 said:
    AI trying to revive ‘beleagured’ as an Apple adjective. 
    Yes I had a giggle at that.
  • Reply 25 of 79
    indieshackindieshack Posts: 328member
    I have one of these macbooks - I had a key jam but (thankfully) it fixed itself after tapping on it for a while. These devices are kinda pricey, so I hope to get some response from Apple.
    ireland
  • Reply 26 of 79
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    I dropped $650 for a keyboard repair.

I honestly love the new keyboard (when it works). It has a fantastic feel. And I'm not even sore about the repair. I sloshed a bit of coffee on it, my bad, c'est la vie.

But when you're designing a product, normal use cases, and normal accidents, should factor into the design. Nobody would design a car or truck imagining that it would never leave a garage or be subjected to a "fender bender". I've heard stories about high-end cars whose airbags are so expensive to replace that an accidental deployment makes the car considered "totalled" — the repair cost is nearly as high as buying a new model.

That isn't right. This isn't a good design. Apple fucked up and needs to own this.
    muthuk_vanalingammike54elijahgGeorgeBMacdysamoria
  • Reply 27 of 79
    They have a support document that shows you've been holding your laptop the wrong way. Your suppose to hold it so the screen and keys face the ground. This makes sure no dust gets into the keys since, instead of falling down, dust would have to fall "up" fighting gravity to get to the keys. Silly users..... https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205662
    muthuk_vanalingammike54
  • Reply 28 of 79
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    viclauyyc said:
    I have taken my MacBook Pro in 3 times for keyboard issues and looks like the 4th time is not far away. Tim Cook is such a joke. He doesn't care about the end user. Only his $$$$$$$$
    As a guy who had 3-4 MacBook Pro replaced over the years. My suggestion is keep calling Apple to complain. Be nice, always ask for senior tech for help. Also, you must buy AppleCare.  
    AppleCare is optional and should remain optional.  The absence of an AppleCare contract does not give Apple a free ride to lower the quality of the keyboards.  In the EU the standard warranty period without AppleCare is 2 years, more than enough for the majority of customers
    muthuk_vanalingamgatorguydysamoria
  • Reply 29 of 79
    cropr said:
    viclauyyc said:
    As a guy who had 3-4 MacBook Pro replaced over the years. My suggestion is keep calling Apple to complain. Be nice, always ask for senior tech for help. Also, you must buy AppleCare.  
    AppleCare is optional and should remain optional.  The absence of an AppleCare contract does not give Apple a free ride to lower the quality of the keyboards. 
    It's not even about the quality of the keyboards, though. If it was a $75 repair or whatever, this would still be sort of a shitty thing, a "lemon," an inconvenience like "staingate"... but instead it's turning into a common repair that is ungodly expensive.
    edited May 2018 muthuk_vanalingammike54mazda 3sdysamoria
  • Reply 30 of 79
    Here's the bottom line on modern Macs.
    When we were an agrarian nation, all cars were trucks, because that's what you needed on the farm. But as vehicles started to be used in the urban centers, cars got more popular … personal computers are going to be like trucks. They're still going to be around, they're still going to have a lot of value, but they're going to be used by one out of X people. — Steve Jobs
    I'm totally on board with this. But Apple isn't making Macs like trucks. 
    entropysdysamoria
  • Reply 31 of 79
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    Here's the bottom line on modern Macs.
    When we were an agrarian nation, all cars were trucks, because that's what you needed on the farm. But as vehicles started to be used in the urban centers, cars got more popular … personal computers are going to be like trucks. They're still going to be around, they're still going to have a lot of value, but they're going to be used by one out of X people. — Steve Jobs
    I'm totally on board with this. But Apple isn't making Macs like trucks. 
    Pretty sure Cook doesn’t drive a truck.

Edit: hmm, the auto correct changed a couple of the words there. Best leave it now.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 32 of 79
    ireland said:
    Stop whining losers.
    Losers? These machines cost a lot of money and many people have had these issues. This is how it works: if enough people are vocal about an issue, in the end something is done about it.
    Apparently, Roxy, you don't you know how it works here on AI.  You should know by now that you're not allowed to question the overall quality of any Apple product or service without expecting to be accused of trolling, being an Android lover or falling into any one of several other categories of rebel-rouser who only show up at this site to demean Apple.

Just use your Apple product as is, don't post inflammatory comments here on AppleInsider and we'll all get along just fine. ;)
  • Reply 33 of 79
    sekatorsekator Posts: 7member
    I have a 2016 MacBook Pro 15, all maxed out specs. Since early 2017 I have had the top case replaced 3 (!) times. Twice for the reason of faulty speaker, and in one case the keyboard got faulty on the already replaced top case. I still have my 2010 MacBook Pro (ssd, ram upgraded), which works just fine and served well as a temporary replacement while the 2016 MacBook was being repaired. This whole experience told me a lot about modern Apple’s quality and their design. Seriously considering hackintosh alternatives. 
    The Apple ecosystem is still strong and sticky, but I remember back in the days I was happy to be locked in - now I hate it. I feel they just suck money from me without giving any value back. 
    entropysirelandmuthuk_vanalingamelijahgdysamoria
  • Reply 34 of 79
    I can't comment on how reliable the keyboards are.

But I can say that the noise they make is akin to a troupe of clinically obese dancing pixies, with clogs on, tap dancing across a table.

At least that's the way they sound in our shared office.
    irelandmike54asdasddysamoria
  • Reply 35 of 79
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member
    vonbrick said:
    ireland said:
    Stop whining losers.
    Losers? These machines cost a lot of money and many people have had these issues. This is how it works: if enough people are vocal about an issue, in the end something is done about it.
    Apparently, Roxy, you don't you know how it works here on AI.  You should know by now that you're not allowed to question the overall quality of any Apple product or service without expecting to be accused of trolling, being an Android lover or falling into any one of several other categories of rebel-rouser who only show up at this site to demean Apple.

Just use your Apple product as is, don't post inflammatory comments here on AppleInsider and we'll all get along just fine. ;)
    Anyone can complain on AI about Apple but be prepared to have facts presented such as about AppleCare+.
    * My son’s MacBook had a complete hardware failure. We took it into the Apple Store and because we had AppleCare+ an $800 motherboard replacement was done for free. 
    * All computers can have hardware failures. It happens with every company and with every product. 
    - When a person buys an expensive Apple product and they don’t purchase AppleCare+, they are gambling that they won’t experience a major out of warranty hardware failure in the 2nd & 3rd year. Sometimes that gamble does not pay off. 
  • Reply 36 of 79
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    I'm on my third keyboard replacement. About to book an appointment for my fourth. These keyboards are crap for sure in terms of reliability. 
    dysamoria
  • Reply 37 of 79
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    Of course for anyone with a problem like that it’s a big problem - but It would be good to know in the article the extent of the problem.

Also so to understand is this a time thing with wear and tear? - it talks about out of warranty repairs.  

I have a MacBook 12 2017, as opposed to the Pro, which has the 2nd gen butterfly keys and I really like the keyboard.  I’ve had no issues - no idea if it’s just the pro affected, but note that the MacBook has the same keys. 

• Reply 38 of 79
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    vukasika said:
    Sniff, sniff.... I smell butthurt
    You smell users with a legitimate complain, that want their expensive machines to work well, and to not have defective or badly engineered parts.

I do however smell a teenager with immature language and knee-jerk responses.

edited May 2018 muthuk_vanalingamjasenj1dysamoria
  • Reply 39 of 79
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Stop whining losers.
    Are you a troll, a 13-year old that doesn't understand the issue, or perhaps an idiot?

Let's see if buying a MacBook Pro and then having your keyboard stop responding because of some grain or dust would change your tune.
    muthuk_vanalingamdysamoria
  • Reply 40 of 79
    I can't comment on how reliable the keyboards are.

But I can say that the noise they make is akin to a troupe of clinically obese dancing pixies, with clogs on, tap dancing across a table.

At least that's the way they sound in our shared office.
    Funny.

I just brought my 2016 MBP in to an Apple Store because the keyboard is almost always very quiet.
    When the CPU gets under load and heats up the keyboard, the keys from E-to-I will make a loud "snapping" when actuated.
    Very annoying in a meeting when the keys start making that sound.
    I got a call last night that they weren't sure if this was "normal" or not  :/ but would replace the top case anyway.
    dysamoria