Apple iPad expands to 28.8% market share, growing in contracting tablet market

Posted:
in iPad
Apple sold 9.1 million iPad units worldwide in the first quarter of the year, for a market share just below 30 percent, with the iPad Pro holding the top spot in the "detachable" high-end tablet market.

According to the latest figures from research firm IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Tablet Tracker, Apple has kept its top position in the market, selling 9.1 million iPads, of which 1.8 million were iPad Pro models.

The numbers, which IDC calls "preliminary," match the 9.1 million iPads sold that Apple announced in its quarterly earnings this week. In addition, the overall market for so called "detachable tablets" like the iPad Pro and Microsoft Surface grew 2.9 percent year over year, as most other tablet segments posted declines.

IDC defines slate tablets, or traditional tablets, as "tablets without a dedicated keyboard," while detachable tablets are meant to work with a keyboard with an attachment like Apple's Smart Connector. A third category of convertibles are not included in this study.

While the quarter was mostly unaffected by the launch of the new iPad, IDC predicted that the new device, "along with the company's renewed focus on the education market should prove to be quite lucrative in the coming quarters."

IDC ranks the most popular tablets in May 2018

Samsung came in second in worldwide market share with 5.3 million units, followed by Huawei, Lenovo, and Amazon.

This time last year, Apple held the lead with 24.6 percent tablet market share, followed by Samsung with 16.5 percent; Amazon was fourth at the time.

Rise of Chrome

IDC pointed out that the rise of Chrome OS-based detachable tablets is a trend to watch in the space.

"Chrome OS' entrance in the detachable market is a welcome change as Google is finally a serious contender from a platform perspective," Jitesh Ubrani, senior research analyst with IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Mobile Device Trackers, said in IDC's release.

"Google's tighter control and integration of Chrome OS will allow brands to focus more on hardware design and additional services rather than spending resources reconfiguring Android to work in a detachable setting. Combined with Microsoft's efforts to run Windows on ARM, the detachable market is poised for strong growth in the near term."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    PickUrPoisonPickUrPoison Posts: 302member
    Amazon in 5th place with 1.1 million units. Microsoft buried in “other” selling a million or fewer.

Wow. I had no idea MS sold so few Surface. 
  • Reply 2 of 12
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Apple doesn't care about market share. All that matters is profit.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    "Google's tighter control and integration of Chrome OS will allow brands to focus more on hardware design and additional services rather than spending resources reconfiguring Android to work in a detachable setting. Combined with Microsoft's efforts to run Windows on ARM, the detachable market is poised for strong growth in the near term." 

IDC's commentary doesn't match its charts.

Amazon's tighter control and integration led to a sharp decline in unit sales and market share during the March quarter.  Microsoft's efforts have it languishing in the Other category.  Where are the two positioned to make the detachable market "poised for strong growth"?

• Reply 4 of 12
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Amazon in 5th place with 1.1 million units. Microsoft buried in “other” selling a million or fewer.

But points to MS for having a significant mindshare for a device that sells relatively few units.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    nunzy said:
    Apple doesn't care about market share. All that matters is profit.
    Apple cares about both.
  • Reply 6 of 12

You’re hanging out too much on MacRumors.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    gmgravytraingmgravytrain Posts: 882member
    It's rather unfortunate iPads can't compete against Chromebooks in schools. Apple still has a way to go to figuring things out. If Chromebooks are winning based on the higher cost of the iPad then it's an impossible task in the U.S. where schools are limited in their budgets. Of course, there are markets where Apple products simply don't belong in. In order to maintain quality in a product, a company can't cut costs on components unless they're willing to take a financial loss. Apple isn't willing to take any losses. I don't know how Apple managed to have such high market share in schools in the 1980's. They must have taken financial losses or schools were willing to spend more for Apple computers.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 12
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    I honestly have no idea why anyone would buy any other tablet besides an iPad. Price was the main reason I heard most people cite as why they went for a Kindle Fire or similar budget tablet. Now with the 5th gen available for as little as $229 and the 6th gen available at $329, it basically a no-brainer. Considering what you get for the $, it may be the best value in all of tech. 
  • Reply 9 of 12
    ireland said:

You’re hanging out too much on MacRumors.
    Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.    :)
    ireland
  • Reply 10 of 12
    My uncle is updating (from iPad 3) to a new iPad some time in the next some weeks (my guess). He likes the price of the new standard iPad but is pretty clueless about technology. His iPad 3 was a hand-me-down about two or three years ago and is now so painfully slow.

New iPad is €459 for 128 GB, but I was also talking to him about an Apple Certified Refurbished iPad Pro 10.5 64 GB WiFi for €639. As he doesn’t know too much about tech, but isn’t a stupid person by any stretch, I’ve be talking to him about the Pro and he seems interested. I also mentioned the Apple Certified Refurbished iPad Pro 10.5 256 GB WiFi for €779—I know, for example, if I was getting an iPad Pro even if I barely had enough money I’d choose the 256 model over the 64, for future-proof-ness. But the price may be a little steep for him. He has money, but is pretty careful with it.

My question: seeing that I’ve noticed he’s not running to renew his iPad ASAP, should I get him to wait until after WWDC? When might new iPad Pros drop? And if Apple shipped new Pros, could the old 10.5 refurb models drop in price, even a little bit?
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 11 of 12
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    ireland said:
    My uncle is updating (from iPad 3) to a new iPad some time in the next some weeks (my guess). He likes the price of the new standard iPad but is pretty clueless about technology. His iPad 3 was a hand-me-down about two or three years ago and is now so painfully slow.

New iPad is €459 for 128 GB, but I was also talking to him about an Apple Certified Refurbished iPad Pro 10.5 64 GB WiFi for €639. As he doesn’t know too much about tech, but isn’t a stupid person by any stretch, I’ve be talking to him about the Pro and he seems interested. I also mentioned the Apple Certified Refurbished iPad Pro 10.5 256 GB WiFi for €779—I know, for example, if I was getting an iPad Pro even if I barely had enough money I’d choose the 256 model over the 64, for future-proof-ness. But the price may be a little steep for him. He has money, but is pretty careful with it.

My question: seeing that I’ve noticed he’s not running to renew his iPad ASAP, should I get him to wait until after WWDC? When might new iPad Pros drop? And if Apple shipped new Pros, could the old 10.5 refurb models drop in price, even a little bit?
    You can play the waiting game, but there's always going to be something newer in the future.

Buy now.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    nunzy said:
    ireland said:

You can play the waiting game, but there's always going to be something newer in the future.

Buy now.
    Yes, but if new iPad Pros were rumored to be announced at WWDC wouldn’t it make sense to wait? Like buying a new iPhone is September perhaps isn’t a wise choice.
    nunzy