iPhone X was world's best-selling smartphone model in first quarter

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2019
Apple's flagship iPhone X sold 16 million units worldwide, Strategy Analytics said, with iPhone 8 and 8 Plus taking 2nd and 3rd place.

The iPhone X, the world's top-selling smartphone

In further debunking of the notion that the iPhone X was a "flop" or a "failure" -- which was conventional wisdom as recently as the end of April -- the flagship Apple device is now the world's best-selling smartphone model, according to a release from the research firm. In addition, the top four models in the world, both in terms of shipment amounts and market share, are iPhones.

The report also found that a total of 345 million smartphone units were sold globally in the first quarter. The top Android models were the Xiaomi Redmi 5A and Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus.

Strategy Analytics' iPhone market share chart for Q1

Apple does not release individual model figures on iPhone sales, but the company said in this week's earnings that it sold 52.2 million iPhones,, and that the iPhone X sold the most units of any iPhone model throughout the quarter.

"Customers chose iPhone X more than any other iPhone each week in the March quarter, just as they did following its launch in the December quarter," Apple CEO Tim Cook said on Tuesday's earnings call. "Since we split the line with the launch of iPhone 6 and 6 Plus in 2014, this is the first cycle in which the top of the line iPhone model has also been the most popular."

SA's Estimates

"We estimate the Apple iPhone X shipped 16.0 million units and captured 5 percent marketshare worldwide in Q1 2018. For the second quarter running, the iPhone X remains the world's most popular smartphone model overall, due to a blend of good design, sophisticated camera, extensive apps, and widespread retail presence for the device," Juha Winter, Senior Analyst for Strategy Analytics, said in the company's announcement.

"Apple has now shifted almost 50 million iPhone X units worldwide since commercial launch in November 2017. The Apple iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus shipped 12.5 and 8.3 million units, respectively, for second and third place," Winter added. "The previous-generation iPhone 7 shipped a respectable 5.6 million units for fourth place. Combined together, Apple today accounts for four of the world's six most popular smartphone models."
watto_cobra

Comments

• Reply 1 of 77
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    Anyone got a score card of the doom and gloom analysts up until last week?  
    peterhartnetmageStrangeDaysJFC_PAsdw2001watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 77
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Anybody who doubted this should now apologize.
    peterhartnetmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 77
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    I guess the iPhone 7 isn't getting any love in the first sentence. Why wasn't it included in 4th? These numbers show just how dominant iPhones are. Of course, the rest of the market group is still very large but we all know those are usually garbage and burn phones.
    racerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 77
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    I would surmise that Apple continues to have the majority of revenue and profit share in China, thanks to Apple's very profitable iPhone line.

...waiting for a retort from the "but marketshare!!" contrarians on AI...
    lkruppracerhomie3StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 77
    Dooooomed
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 77
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    Somebody will cash a lot on shares fluctuations.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 77
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    tmay said:
    I would surmise that Apple continues to have the majority of revenue and profit share in China, thanks to Apple's very profitable iPhone line.

Apple doesn't care about market share. All that matters is sensing profits to Wall Street.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 77
    Winter added. "The previous-generation iPhone 7 shipped a respectable 5.6 million units for fourth place. Combined together, Apple today accounts for four of the world's six most popular smartphone models."

Am I missing something?  Shouldn't he have said that "
    Apple today accounts for the top four most popular smartphone models in the world." ???

SoliStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 77
    deminsddeminsd Posts: 143member
    What a biased article.  4.6% market share is worth celebrating?  16M out of 345M sold (by far the majority is Android) is good? 

The way I see the numbers, ALL of Apple iPhones sales made up only 12.2% of total phones sold.  Too bad the data doesn't show the breakdown of the other 84.6%.  How much of that is Samsung?  

I like my iPhone but I'd never buy a X.  
  • Reply 10 of 77
    I can't keep up, do we believe the analysts nowadays? Do we trust their numbers? And market share is important now?
  • Reply 11 of 77
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    deminsd said:
    What a biased article.  4.6% market share is worth celebrating?  16M out of 345M sold (by far the majority is Android) is good? 

The way I see the numbers, ALL of Apple iPhones sales made up only 12.2% of total phones sold.  Too bad the data doesn't show the breakdown of the other 84.6%.  How much of that is Samsung?  

How's the weather in that alternate universe of yours? A single device, SINGLE device, takes a chunk of global market share and you declare it a failure? 
    ericthehalfbeenetmageStrangeDaysandrewj5790jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 77
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    deminsd said:

For you long term financial health, make sure you have a strong advisor...
    netmageStrangeDaysandrewj5790jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 77
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    I can't keep up, do we believe the analysts nowadays? Do we trust their numbers? And market share is important now?
    The way things work today, in all facets of life, we agree with analyst/polls/predictions we like and disagree with anyone we don't.  :wink: 
  • Reply 14 of 77
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    He said:
    tmay said:I would surmise that Apple continues to have the majority of revenue and profit share in China, thanks to Apple's very profitable iPhone line. 

Then he said:

deminsd said:

And thus the second gentleman  proved that
    1.  freely available basic education for all is still just a pipe dream
    2. not enough research is being done into the causal links between “butthurt” and “brain damage”. 
    edited May 2018 jcs2305netmageSoliStrangeDaysjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 77
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,486member
    nunzy said:
    tmay said:

Apple doesn't care about market share. All that matters is sensing profits to Wall Street.

Apple absolutely cares about market share.

The problem is people mistakenly include the market share numbers from ALL price points when comparing against Apple. Do people think Ferrari cares about their market share compared to Ford? Of course not. Ferrari only cares about market share in the exotic segment, which includes companies like Lamborghini.

Apple has the highest market share (by far) of high-end flagship devices, which is the only market they compete in. You can bet they’re very interested in (and happy about) their market share of this segment. 
    netmagebrucemcStrangeDaysandrewj5790supadav03jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 77
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    Doing some math we see:

iPhone X 16 mil
    iPhone 8/8 Plus 21 mil
    Older models + SE 15 mil, not bad.
    edited May 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 77
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    This data I consider reliable merely as Apple just released the unit sales for the quarter, 52.2 million units, and the ASP.

With that, and the data from various sources of model sales, it's relatively easy to get accurate share of each model. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 77
    georgie01georgie01 Posts: 436member
    deminsd said:

I don’t imagine the other ‘84.6%’ consists of what we’d all consider high end smartphones.

Curious that you feel so strongly against the X. I only bought mine because I wanted more screen space in a size basically the same as my previous 7. But while I liked my jet black 7 hardware better I can’t think of anything about the X that puts me off, and gestures are superior and quicker than the home button and, in general, FaceID is a better UX (if you know not to wait for it to recognise your face before swiping). The X is a better experience in a phone although ideally I wish it were the size/weight of my 7 with no notch and in jet black :)
    netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 77
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    deminsd said:

What part of “...by Model” don’t you understand?

This is about listing individual models, this is not about platform or even brand. If there’s ANY bias it’s towards Samsung... When have you ever seen a “Top 6” list before? It’s like they moved the goal posts just so Samsung could “score” a place.

There are plenty of other reports that show exactly what you’re looking for, but so what? Market share only matters in specific contexts, like when you’re making very little money from each sale. Apple doesn’t have that problem. They even continue to make money even after the initial sale; Apple’s users are far more likely to buy apps, accessories and services, than any other brand’s users.
    netmageStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 77
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 537member
    deminsd said:

They have the top four selling devices and are raking in the majority of the profits. Also note that the iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 6s and 6s Plus and iPhone SE are all still being sold and as such are in that list somewhere.

There isn't a smartphone manufacturer out there, including Samsung, that wouldn't kill to be in Apple's position.
    netmageStrangeDaysjony0watto_cobra