iPhone X was world's best-selling smartphone model in first quarter

Comments

• Reply 21 of 77
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,622member
    deminsd said:
    What a biased article.  4.6% market share is worth celebrating?  16M out of 345M sold (by far the majority is Android) is good? 

The way I see the numbers, ALL of Apple iPhones sales made up only 12.2% of total phones sold.  Too bad the data doesn't show the breakdown of the other 84.6%.  How much of that is Samsung?  

I like my iPhone but I'd never buy a X.  
    Well, if Apple is the second largest smartphone handset manufacturer annually (far behind Samsung and very slightly ahead of Huawei), and only made one phone, it would have the top selling model. It doesn't have just one model but it does have very few. Both Samsung and Huawei have different strategies to Apple and have far more models.

Clearly they are unlikely to have a top seller (but it isn't impossible) with so many models available.

Huawei has far more marketshare than Apple in China but has no single model in the top 5 (or top 10 IIRC).

So, while this research estimate may be more or less correct, your point is no less correct.

The key is too see through the information that is presented and pick up on the other pieces that were not presented.

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 22 of 77
    gmgravytraingmgravytrain Posts: 882member
    nunzy said:
    Anybody who doubted this should now apologize.
    Have you ever heard of a dog who pooped on someone's lawn apologizing to the unfortunate homeowner? Dogs always poop and run.
    nunzy
  • Reply 23 of 77
    chrispoechrispoe Posts: 80member
    I'm amazed the Samsung s9 Plus made it onto the list, it was only sold for the last 3 weeks of the 1st quarter.
    spheric
  • Reply 24 of 77
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    I see Phil Schiller tweeted a link to this press release. Seems a bit odd to me since it attached estimated sales to specific models. Is Schiller then confirming Apple sold 16M iPhone X in the last quarter?
  • Reply 25 of 77
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member
    avon b7 said:

Well, if Apple is the second largest smartphone handset manufacturer annually (far behind Samsung and very slightly ahead of Huawei), and only made one phone, it would have the top selling model. It doesn't have just one model but it does have very few. Both Samsung and Huawei have different strategies to Apple and have far more models.

Clearly they are unlikely to have a top seller (but it isn't impossible) with so many models available.

Huawei has far more marketshare than Apple in China but has no single model in the top 5 (or top 10 IIRC).

Apple has three current high end models for sale, how many high end models do Huawei and Samsung have?

The key is to realize the many economy model phones that other companies sell are not in Apple's market and aren't competition for iPhone, so they don't split the share that matters and at which Apple thoroughly dominates both in profits and market share. 
    tmayStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 77
    gmgravytraingmgravytrain Posts: 882member
    Wall Street and market share percentage. What makes market share percentage such an important metric to everyone? There are plenty of companies that have failed over the years despite having very high market share percentage. One would think revenue and profits are most important for any company. At least that's how it works in basic accounting. Apple is trying to sell products they believe a certain number of customers will buy. I'm sure Apple makes mistakes and all products can't sell in high volume. I just don't understand why so many people are happy if an Apple product doesn't sell in super-high volume. Does that immediately mean that said product is a failure?

No outsider can be sure if Apple is meeting internal goals for product sales. If Apple meets those internal goals it could actually be considered a successful product. Analyst and investor goals really shouldn't matter all that much. I would think any company that honestly meets or exceeds its own guidance is doing quite well. Not being able to have double-digit revenue growth shouldn't mean a company is failing or doomed. Most companies don't have double-digit growth and they can still be successful.

How many companies would be able to sell a $1000 smartphone and move that many units? I think Apple accomplished quite an unusual feat despite all the criticism.  Selling $1000 iPhones is a far more difficult than selling $200 Android smartphones but critics don't seem to understand that much.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 27 of 77
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    deminsd said:
    What a biased article.  4.6% market share is worth celebrating?  16M out of 345M sold (by far the majority is Android) is good? 

The way I see the numbers, ALL of Apple iPhones sales made up only 12.2% of total phones sold.  Too bad the data doesn't show the breakdown of the other 84.6%.  How much of that is Samsung
    I hesitate giving this poster another quote but I posted my answer 20 min before his giving my answer to his question. We all know the “other” phones include all those throwaway phones found st drug stores, Walmart and Target. They’re made by all sorts of companies who go out of business 5 min after selling their first batch. 
    SoliStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 77
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    lkrupp said:
    deminsd said:

The way I see the numbers, ALL of Apple iPhones sales made up only 12.2% of total phones sold.  Too bad the data doesn't show the breakdown of the other 84.6%.  How much of that is Samsung?  

How's the weather in that alternate universe of yours? A single device, SINGLE device, takes a chunk of global market share and you declare it a failure? 
    It reminds me of when folk used to go on about the Mac’s single digit market share. It was the same thing. 

It’s a bit ike saying that Ferrari is going to fail because every other car maker combined together sells more mid to low level  cars. It makes no sense. 
    StrangeDaysjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 77
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,309member
    avon b7 said:
    deminsd said:

So, while this research estimate may be more or less correct, your point is no less correct.

The key is too see through the information that is presented and pick up on the other pieces that were not presented.

You imply that Samsung and Huawei have a choice in their strategies. They actually have very little choice.

In fact, Apple having control of its own OS, software, hardware, ecosystem, brand, and especially, customer base, pretty much determines that Apple will maintain its dominance in both revenue and profitability in the smartphone industry.

How could it be any other way when Android OS as a common operating system, and diffusion of features within a large device maker base, delivers little in the way of market differentiation for any device maker?

Hence, low ASP relative to Apple is a given, no matter the large unit marketshare.

Apple is literally its own market, and Android OS is the other. Samsung, and all of the Chinese device makers compete in the Android OS market, and very little directly with Apple.
    edited May 2018 StrangeDaysjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 77
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Wall Street and market share percentage. What makes market share percentage such an important metric to everyone? 
    A few things to consider:
    - "Wall Street" is often used to mean anything related to investing - analysts, traders, mutual fund / ETF companies, banks, hedge funds, etc.
    - Analysts these days are just another form of media - seeking to generate eyeballs - and worthy of the same consideration...
    - "the market" (all traders settling on prices) has always liked companies which can have "sort of" a monopoly, as that is a moat to protect the business, and 'possibly' grow better than average profits.  Couple that together with growth possibilities, and they value those companies highly (see: Google, FB, Amazon...).
    - Large market share can provide monopoly-like features, at least for awhile.  IBM back in the day (nobody got fired for buying an IBM...), Cisco in networking equipment, Microsoft with Windows and Office etc.
    - However, in most cases it is not marketshare on its own which explains the moat - it is usually accompanied by something else - and it is usually not based the extreme low end of device functionality.  I would say that Wall Street doesn't dig that deep.
    - Apple is different from most other companies, in that it focuses on a design-first, premium end products with ability to differentiate via design, h/w and s/w, have high user sat, maintain margin, etc.  Thus they never have that traditional moat, and why they are always perceived by "the market at large" as being vulnerable.
    - I personally like Horace Dediu's take, in that because Apple is always exposed to threats on all side, they have developed a very strong resistance (ala biology) and hence are one of the stronger companies which has a chance to endure.

tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 77
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    deminsd said:

Jesus here we go with the moving goalposts again. The article is talking phone models, and you’re talking OS platforms. Per this data, these models are the specific best selling models. Bringing up all of the android variations from every single manufacturer in the world is completely irrelevant. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 77
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,485member
    avon b7 said:
    deminsd said:

I see you're still telling your usual lies (which makes you a lair).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 77
    avon b7 said:
    deminsd said:

The key is too see through the information that is presented and pick up on the other pieces that were not presented move the goalposts until we’re winning.  

Fixed it for ya. 
    tmayericthehalfbeeandrewj5790jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 77
    netmage said:
    avon b7 said:

Apple has three current high end models for sale, how many high end models do Huawei and Samsung have?

The key is to realize the many economy model phones that other companies sell are not in Apple's market and aren't competition for iPhone, so they don't split the share that matters and at which Apple thoroughly dominates both in profits and market share. 
    The key in tems of unit sales is how many you ship in a full year. That's where the big picture is. On top of that, if you have just ONE release cycle per year, sales will peak around that cycle. Huawei has one flagship per quarter.

With Apple's new product spread, it has competitors in every tier, right up into the premium and even ultra premium bands.

It's just one of the reasons its sales have been largely flat for the last few years.
  • Reply 35 of 77
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    With all the analyst trumpeting the iPhone X was doomed to be canceled as a “failure” this is a timely and relevant article. 

oh and I really like my iPhone X, wouldn’t go back to another UI. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 77
    avon b7 said:
    deminsd said:

The key is too see through the information that is presented and pick up on the other pieces that were not presented move the goalposts until we’re winning.  

Fixed it for ya. 
    You know what they say. 'If it ain't broke...'

You are trying to 'fix' something that isn't broken. LOL.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 37 of 77
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,309member
    avon b7 said:
    netmage said:
    avon b7 said:

The key in tems of unit sales is how many you ship in a full year. That's where the big picture is. On top of that, if you have just ONE release cycle per year, sales will peak around that cycle. Huawei has one flagship per quarter.

With Apple's new product spread, it has competitors in every tier, right up into the premium and even ultra premium bands.

It's just one of the reasons its sales have been largely flat for the last few years.
    " That's where the big picture is"

Dude, you need an intervention.

StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 77
    avon b7 said:
    netmage said:
    avon b7 said:

The key in tems of unit sales is how many you ship in a full year. That's where the big picture is.
    Unit sales is not the big picture, profit is. Profit is the air corporations breathe. Repeat: profit is the air corporations breathe. 

Youre worshiping at the Church of Marketshare because you’re loyal to a cheap chinese knockoff brand, and sales is all one can cheerlead... They copy their designs and don’t rule profit. What else is there to celebrate?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 77

avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    deminsd said:

Fixed it for ya. 
    You know what they say. 'If it ain't broke...'

You are trying to 'fix' something that isn't broken. LOL.
    Nope. I’m just shining a light on you same old tactic here — diminish the gains of Apple by shifting the topic to something else. In this case market share, when the topic was top-selling models. It’s the same old nonsense from you in your quest to promote a chinese knockoff brand. FUD dispensary of the first order. 
    edited May 2018 tmayjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 77

tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    netmage said:
    avon b7 said:

" That's where the big picture is"

Dude, you need an intervention.
    Hopefully this guy isn’t in charge of anyone’s money. Fairly certain he isn’t. 
    jony0watto_cobra