iPhone, iOS 'dominant' over Android in English-speaking countries

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2018
According to a new report by DeviceAtlas, English-speaking countries, as well as Japan, prefer iOS, while the non-English-speaking world prefers Android.

DeviceAtlas' operating system market share ranking by country

The Mobile Web Intelligence Report, released this week by DeviceAtlas, found that in the first quarter, iOS leads in market share collected by device identifier in such countries as Australia, Canada, Japan, the U.K. and the U.S., while holding a slim lead in Sweden.

Android, on the other hand, holds a lead in Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Egypt, France, Germany, India, Italy, Malaysia, Nigeria, Poland, Russia, South Africa and Spain. iOS, however, has made gains in some countries where it still trails, including Colombia, Egypt and Ireland.

DeviceAtlas also found that KaiOS, a new operating system, has cut into the margins of both incumbents in India, pushing Apple into third place.

Feature phones remain, as DeviceAtlas described it, "an active part of most countries' mobile ecosystem," indicating that smartphone markets still have room to grow.

"The feature phone segment has not gone away, and may even be making a resurgence," Martin Clancy, Head of Marketing for DeviceAtlas, said as part of the report's release. "The growth in feature phone traffic in India underlines the fact that web publishers and service providers ignore users on these devices at their peril."

The survey was taken during the mass of reports claiming that the iPhone X, and the iPhone as a whole, was doing poorly on the quarter, and would continue to underperform for the remainder of Apple's fiscal year. Apple CEO Tim Cook put most of those sales estimates to death during the earnings announcement on March 1.

"Customers chose iPhone X more than any other iPhone each week in the March quarter, just as they did following its launch in the December quarter," Cook said as Apple announced earnings on Tuesday. "We also grew revenue in all of our geographic segments, with over 20 percent growth in Greater China and Japan."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    It all comes down to money.

edit: isn’t KAios for feature phones?
    edited May 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 33
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    It just keeps getting worse for the naysayers. Oh, and AAPL is now at 933 Billion market cap. What were “they" saying about Amazon getting there first?
    edited May 2018 lostkiwigilly017watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 33
    olsols Posts: 50member
    I wonder what happened in Germany?
    gutengelcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 33
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    ols said:
    I wonder what happened in Germany?
    I know, right? Specially since Germans are some of the most concerned societies when it comes to online privacy and security.
    radarthekatirelandbaconstanglostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 33
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    entropys said:

Yes, other than Germany all the other countries on the list comes down to disposable income and how much they have. If you look at other consumer product you probably see similar trend. I bet many of these countries have motorcycles and bikes are primary transportation.

I am not sure why surveiers want to treat all consumers equal, we are not and because one consumer does one thing does not may other follow suit. 
    randominternetpersonStrangeDaysgilly017
  • Reply 6 of 33
    lkrupp said:
    It just keeps getting worse for the naysayers. Oh, and AAPL is now at 933 Billion market cap. What were “they" saying about Amazon getting there first?

your math is a little off, they are at $897B
  • Reply 7 of 33
    iPhone's big in Japan. Maybe it's time for a stadium tour.
    cornchipavon b7watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 33
    Nameo_Nameo_ Posts: 34member
    maestro64 said:
    lkrupp said:

No he’s actually right. Go open stocks app and look at AAPL’s market cap. It’s at 932.8B to be exact.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 33
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    Meyhem said:
    All this sophomoric "Us vs Them" stuff is getting pretty old.
    Not if you’re “us”. 
  • Reply 10 of 33
    Nameo_ said:
    maestro64 said:
    lkrupp said:

No he’s actually right. Go open stocks app and look at AAPL’s market cap. It’s at 932.8B to be exact.
    $897B is so yesterday. 
    randominternetpersonLukeCagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 33
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Prefers is not always equal to prefers.

I’m enjoying life here in the English-speaking Philippines, where most folks have either an Android or a feature phone.  It comes down to cost.

My iPhone 8+ 64GB cost me 51,500 pesos at the iStore (a very nice chain of Apple Authorized resellers here).  That’s about $1000.  And that’s about five months salary for the person who I interacted with while in that store.  Many people earn half that, equivalent to about $100/month.  So there’s the rub; it doesn’t break down by language spoken.  Prefers really means prefers only among those whose budget would allow them to opt for either.  For the vast majority of the world, that’s just not the case.

But back in Boca Raton?  Yeah, people prefer iPhone.  And expensive Verizon mobile plans.   And high rise condos.  And, from what I could tell in the 7 years I lived there, Mercedes over BMW.  No accounting for some people’s preferences, eh?
    edited May 2018 bonobobcornchipmuthuk_vanalingamhzctokyojimuwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 33
    gmgravytraingmgravytrain Posts: 882member
    maestro64 said:
    lkrupp said:

Analysts are always betting against Apple and favoring Amazon. If Amazon does get to the $1T market cap mark, the P/E will be likely be around 400. I still wouldn't put it past the Wall Street pumpers to somehow boost Amazon's value into low-earth orbit. I don't care if Amazon does get there first. I'm getting my dividends from Apple and that's important to me. If big investors are happy to pay $2100 a share to give Amazon the privilege of a $1T market cap, then good for them. Jeff Bezos will be able to buy entire nations with his wealth at that point.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    maestro64 said:

Yes, other than Germany all the other countries on the list comes down to disposable income and how much they have. If you look at other consumer product you probably see similar trend. I bet many of these countries have motorcycles and bikes are primary transportation.
    You’ve never been to Western Europe have you?
    superkloton
  • Reply 14 of 33
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

I’m enjoying life here in the English-speaking Philippines, where most folks have either an Android or a feature phone.  It comes down to cost.

My iPhone 8+ 64GB cost me 51,500 pesos at the iStore (a very nice chain of Apple Authorized resellers here).  That’s about $1000.  And that’s about five months salary for the person who I interacted with while in that store.  Many people earn half that, equivalent to about $100/month.  So there’s the rub; it doesn’t break down by language spoken.  Prefers really means prefers only among those whose budget would allow them to opt for either.  For the vast majority of the world, that’s just not the case.

But back in Boca Raton?  Yeah, people prefer iPhone.  And expensive Verizon mobile plans.   And high rise condos.  And, from what I could tell in the 7 years I lived there, Mercedes over BMW.  No accounting for some people’s preferences, eh?
    Then why always the lobbying for cheap iPhones? What’s more important? Profit or market share? If Mercedes and BMW are doing just fine then why can’t Apple do the same. Why does Apple have to cater to the poor, unwashed masses who can’t afford design and quality? So what if there are more Android phones in this world? It hasn’t affected Apple one tiny bit. It’s almost a Marxist view some people espouse on Apple. Everyone should be able to afford an iPhone X? Really? A phone for the proletariat? Or maybe we just need redistribution of global wealth and should stick it to those Boca Raton idle rich who got their ill gotten gains off the backs of poor Filipinos.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 33
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Europe’s poorer countries choose Android and Italy and Germany have caught a virus from them, being in their vicinity.

If German’s truly appreciated the privacy advantage I’m sure Apple’s share there would be bigger. Then again, growth and share are just a passing interest for me. I really don’t give a shit and use Apple for design and privacy reasons. I find all the stock growth and market cap discussions surrounding Apple tidious and hugely distracting. 
    edited May 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 33
    lkrupp said:
    Then why always the lobbying for cheap iPhones? What’s more important? Profit or market share? If Mercedes and BMW are doing just fine then why can’t Apple do the same. Why does Apple have to cater to the poor, unwashed masses who can’t afford design and quality? So what if there are more Android phones in this world? It hasn’t affected Apple one tiny bit. It’s almost a Marxist view some people espouse on Apple. Everyone should be able to afford an iPhone X? Really? A phone for the proletariat? Or maybe we just need redistribution of global wealth and should stick it to those Boca Raton idle rich who got their ill gotten gains off the backs of poor Filipinos.  
    It's not just about the actual device itself. It's about the Lifetime Value of the customer and how that plays into the Apple ecosystem. Just even a smartphone user that makes a search query using Google by default helps Apple negotiate with Google on how much they pay for the rights to be the default search engine. If someone wants to buy a game / app, buying it on iOS vs Android helps Apple get more developers to invest time into making games for the App Store. Then there's all the services (iCloud, Music, etc) and Apple Watch and Beats Headphones and all the other things in the ecosystem. 

So if they say marijuana is the gateway drug to more hardcore (i.e. expensive) drugs, then having a cheap iPhone is the gateway to be locked into the Apple Ecosystem, which is the long term game.
    asdasdwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 33
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    lkrupp said:

Yeah, those lobbying for cheap iPhones just don’t get that not every brand needs to be Toyota/Lexus.  Apple is in the affordable luxury category vis a vie the developed world, and that puts it out of reach for many in the developing world.  But there is a growing middle class worldwide, so there’s room for Apple to continue to grow along with it.

As to the majority of smartphones worldwide being Androids, even Tim Cook is happy with that.  He calls Android the smartphone training ground, with many eventually upgrading to iOS when they have the means.

And those folks living in Boca Raton aren’t one homogenous group.  Boca is home, or second, third or fourth home, to wealthy people from all over the world.  It’s a destination for many who consider themselves elite.  That’s reason enough for me to have gotten out.  I moved there, down from the snow and cold of Massachusetts, only to be close to my aging mom, to help her out in her twilight years.  If she were not there, I’d have moved from New England to somewhere in the desert Southwest.  Much more adventure out west versus down south on the east coast.  But it worked out for me as I’m here exploring the incredible natural beauty of SE Asia now.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 18 of 33
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    There is at least five centuries of multiple examples of why nobody should try to fathom what causes Germans to do what they do.
    lkruppsuperklotonking editor the grateacejax805watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 33
    Nameo_ said:
    maestro64 said:
    lkrupp said:

Math pretty simple 4.9B shares out standing, closing price 183.83 equals 900B it depends on how many outstanding shares, remember Apple just took lots of shares off the market. Some sites are still using old shares outstanding.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    croprcropr Posts: 1,122member
    maestro64 said:
    entropys said:

I am not sure why surveiers want to treat all consumers equal, we are not and because one consumer does one thing does not may other follow suit. 
    The disposable income  in France, Spain and Italy is indeed very low.  Similar to your insight in the world economics (we are indeed not all equal on that point as well).  

And similar to the smartphone offerings in non English languages.   Apple is very slow to offer it services in non English regions in the world.  I live in the Dutch speaking part of Belgium, another of those "low income" countries, and I don't have Apple Pay, Apple News, no Apple Maps Transit, no contextual predicting or multilingual support for the keyboard, very crappy Siri (it is embarrassingly bad), no Siri on Apple TV, ...  In all those areas Google is providing a good to very good service.
    edited May 2018 brisancetokyojimu