Apple performing in-store iPhone X replacements for troublesome Face ID issues

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2020
Apple -- and authorized third-party repair technicians -- can now issue a replacement iPhone X if necessary for people coping with Face ID problems not fixable by a TrueDepth camera system replacement.

iPhone X and Face ID

In case of difficulties with Face ID, technicians should first run diagnostics and try a TrueDepth camera module replacement. Should that not resolve a problem, and then a rear-facing camera module swap should be performed, according to an Apple document seen by AppleInsider. If problems persist, the company is recommending that customers be given a new iPhone X, rather than a same-device display repair.

At present, it's not clear what the relationship between the TrueDepth system and the rear camera module is. Speaking with assorted Genius Bar personnel and third-party repair shops, the problem is extremely rare, with half of those we asked about it having not seen it at all.

The policy doesn't represent a new repair program, or the discovery of a widespread fault with TrueDepth cameras. Instead, it is a modification of a support procedure, something that happens relatively frequently.

It's not clear why the change was made, but it could be that Apple has enough iPhone X units in inventory that a replacement is more efficient. Though the product initially saw crushing demand with weeks-long delays, shipping times rapidly improved. Today it should be possible to walk into a U.S. Apple store and find most or all iPhone X configurations available, or order online and expect the fastest possible delivery.

In the run-up to Apple's March-quarter results, some analyst claimed that the product was seeing weak demand, or at least weaker than the company anticipated. Apple CEO Tim Cook revealed that it remained the best-selling iPhone in the quarter, and that overall iPhone sales were up year-over-year, with a higher ASP (average selling price) reflecting the iPhone X's $999-plus pricetag.

It's unknown if the updated Face ID policy will apply to upcoming devices, such as an expected iPad Pro refresh or this fall's three new iPhones. These should include 5.8- and 6.5-inch OLED models, and a cheaper 6.1-inch LCD unit, but even the LCD phone is expected to adopt Face ID.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Every piece of consumer electronics has some issue or another. Apple always does the right thing when any small problem is found.
    mike1lkrupplolliver
  • Reply 2 of 6
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    You know what? This time around there hasn’t been any real ‘gate’ associated with the iPhone X or iPhone 8 and 8 Plus. After the initial tidal wave of trolling about Face ID and the Notch, all of which turned out to be blathering nonsense from asshat nincompoops, things settled down to anecdotal background noise. My wife and I upgraded from iPhone 6’s to iPhone 8's and everything is a-okay.
    edited May 2018 lukei
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I’ve been very happy with Face ID 

I was initally skeptical but it works very well. Occasionally it messes up but given what it’s doing the failure rate is more than acceptable. 

The one area that that would be a good improvement is when the phone is close to you. I heard a rumour somewhere they were working on that. But that would be a bonus
  • Reply 4 of 6
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    lkrupp said:
    You know what? This time around there hasn’t been any real ‘gate’ associated with the iPhone X or iPhone 8 and 8 Plus. After the initial tidal wave of trolling about Face ID and the Notch, all of which turned out to be blathering nonsense from asshat nincompoops, things settled down to anecdotal background noise. My wife and I upgraded from iPhone 6’s to iPhone 8's and everything is a-okay.

Well, the iPhone X did have SalesGate, didn't it? It was supposed to be a disaster.

I now refer to the endless analyst stories of doom and gloom as DebacleGate.

• Reply 5 of 6
    ameldrum1ameldrum1 Posts: 255member

I was initally skeptical but it works very well. Occasionally it messes up but given what it’s doing the failure rate is more than acceptable. 

The one area that that would be a good improvement is when the phone is close to you. I heard a rumour somewhere they were working on that. But that would be a bonus
    I have exactly the opposite issue. Face ID does not work at the usual distance that I hold the phone, I have to move it towards me a small (but extremely annoying when you have to do it dozens of times a day) distance for Face ID to work. It actually drives me crazy. Lots of other good stuff about the device, but I really, really miss Touch ID and now appreciate my iPad Pro (which has it) even more.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    ameldrum1 said:

I have exactly the opposite issue. Face ID does not work at the usual distance that I hold the phone, I have to move it towards me a small (but extremely annoying when you have to do it dozens of times a day) distance for Face ID to work. It actually drives me crazy. Lots of other good stuff about the device, but I really, really miss Touch ID and now appreciate my iPad Pro (which has it) even more.

Really - what sort of distance do you need to bring it to, before it registers?

I know what you mean about Touch ID it was very useful and its a shame you can't have both in an ideal world as Sun Glasses are a real killer i've been discovering recently!
    edited May 2018