Rumor: 6.5-inch OLED iPhone roughly same size as iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 12 supports horizontal...

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2018
Rumors of Apple's forthcoming iPhone refresh are beginning to seep out of the Asian supply chain, with the latest claiming a next-generation flagship model will be roughly the same size as the current iPhone 8 Plus despite boasting a 6.5-inch OLED display.

2018 iPhone

According to a report from Japanese blog Mac Otakara on Monday, rumors circulating in Apple's supply chain suggest the company plans to shoehorn the oversized OLED panel into a chassis with dimensions nearly mirroring that of iPhone 8 Plus.

The largest of three new iPhones anticipated to launch this fall, the 6.5-inch "iPhone X Plus" is expected to feature an iPhone X design with edge-to-edge display and Face ID technology. Nixing the "chin" and "forehead" areas that on models like iPhone 8 are dedicated to the Touch ID home button and ear speaker, respectively, Apple makes room for a vastly enlarged touch panel.

The claims are in line with rumors first aired in February.

While its height and width are said to share similarities with iPhone 8 Plus, the 6.5-inch OLED iPhone could be 0.2mm thicker than the existing handset to accommodate a vertically stacked rear-facing camera array, sources said. Until iPhone X, all dual-camera iPhone setups were arranged horizontally, but the slew of components needed to accomplish TrueDepth and Face ID forced Apple to reposition the rear shooter. That change will apparently carry over to the larger-screened successor.

As for the upcoming iPhone X revamp, supply chain sources said only minor external changes are due for the expected 5.8-inch OLED version. The handset's chassis is rumored to be identical to that of the current iPhone X, but with a slightly larger rear camera lens to make way for a bigger camera sensor or sensors.

Both the 5.8- and 6.5-inch OLED iPhones are rumored to feature enhanced Face ID authentication with support for multi-position recognition. Currently, users authenticating with Face ID must hold the phone vertically in front of their face, but that could change with iOS 12.

Sources say the next-generation operating system includes an update to Apple's recognition algorithms that will allow users to unlock and authenticate while the handset is in a horizontal position. The addition would be a welcome enhancement for users who frequently operate their device in landscape mode.

Finally, today's report reaffirms rumors that a low-end iPhone model will rely on LCD technology. Of note, sources claim the device's panel might come in at 6 inches, not 6.1 inches as previously thought.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    iPhone could be 0.2mm thicker than the existing handset

That's a deal breaker.
    cornchipnapoleon_phoneapartJFC_PAolsdoozydozen[Deleted User]GeorgeBMacRonnnieOh2p
  • Reply 2 of 48
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member

That's a deal breaker.
    Really?
  • Reply 3 of 48
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,341member
    Soli said:

That's a deal breaker.
    Really?
    I'm assuming snark.
    cornchipdoozydozen[Deleted User]GeorgeBMacnetmageRonnnieO
  • Reply 4 of 48
    leptonlepton Posts: 111member
    They need the sideways recognition for the iPad!
    ihatescreennamesolsdoozydozenfastasleep[Deleted User]mike1netmage
  • Reply 5 of 48
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,341member
    It sure appears that Apple is all in on FaceID II for all new devices, sans, of course, the SE update. I'm kind of pining for Pencil support on the 6.5 inch, but that is likely a bridge too far. I do expect some modest improvements to the cameras, and of course, to the internals.
    doozydozennetmageh2p
  • Reply 6 of 48
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    tmay said:
    It sure appears that Apple is all in on FaceID II for all new devices, sans, of course, the SE update. I'm kind of pining for Pencil support on the 6.5 inch, but that is likely a bridge too far. I do expect some modest improvements to the cameras, and of course, to the internals.
    With the new Education iPad coming in at under $300 with a digitizer I think it's now financially feasible for other devices to start offering one.
    doozydozennetmage
  • Reply 7 of 48
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Horizontal facial recognition will be a huge step forward for FaceID. If I didn’t use my Watch all the time for ApplePay, I would find that inconvenience in the current implemention of FaceID to be annoying. 
    netmage
  • Reply 8 of 48
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    Soli said:

That's a deal breaker.
    Really?
    I assumed the /s tag was superfluous, my bad.
    cornchipdoozydozenmuthuk_vanalingamurahara[Deleted User]netmage
  • Reply 9 of 48
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member
    Horizontal facial recognition will be a huge step forward for FaceID. If I didn’t use my Watch all the time for ApplePay, I would find that inconvenience in the current implemention of FaceID to be annoying. 
    What inconvenience with Apple Pay are you referring to? There is none. You reach into your pocket, double-click the side button as you move the phone toward the POS terminal. By the time it’s at the terminal it’s scanning or has scanned your face and the payment authorizes. It takes no additional time or steps. It would be completely unnatural to explicitly put the X into landscape mode to do this. 
    edited May 2018 chasmolsfastasleepGeorgeBMacmike1macxpress
  • Reply 10 of 48
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I suspect there aren’t that many people who need to watch a movie and use ApplePay at the same time. 
    GeorgeBMacmike1h2p
  • Reply 11 of 48
    TheUnusual6TheUnusual6 Posts: 7unconfirmed, member
    Horizontal faceID? We know what that means..faceID for iPad. We want edge to egde OLED display with no notch..dream iPad..
    netmage
  • Reply 12 of 48
    arlomediaarlomedia Posts: 271member
    Personally I'd like a phone with the iPhone X tech (Face ID and camera setup) with a smaller screen size and form factor. With a $1000 phone, I feel compelled to protect it with an Otterbox, and that makes the whole package noticeably larger than an iPhone 8. My wife's iPhone 8 in a minimalist case feels so svelte when I pick it up, and mine feels a bit like a tank in comparison.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 13 of 48
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,304member
    These speculations are based heavily on Ming-Chi Kuo's incredibly safe guesses that Apple is all-in on FaceID because it's so much more secure than TouchID, and that Apple will make a Plus-iPhone-sized iPhone X, leaving TouchID on only the iPhone SE (2?) and the iPhone 8 line for for most of 2019. The only real mystery remaining is what they will call these iPhones.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    Amazing if they can do with all the parts of the faceID in a line. So either train will require phone to be twisted or they are doing something interesting to change the alignment of the parts.

• Reply 15 of 48
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member

If the new phone supports FaceID even in the horizontal position and also brings the landscape mode that the Plus models supports in iOS, I'll really be one happy camper.

As for the chassis of the newer phones being similar to the X, was there any doubt? Apple specifically stated that the X was the future of the iPhone.

doozydozen
  • Reply 16 of 48
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Bring it on!
  • Reply 17 of 48
    rotateleftbyterotateleftbyte Posts: 1,630member
    tmay said:
    Yep. That means I'll probably get an iPhone 8 just before the new phones become available. TouchId is just much more convenient for me especially when out on the Motorcycle and wearing a full face crash helmet.
    One of my riding mates has an 'X' and rues the day that he bought it.
    Sorry Apple, FaceID is a step too far for me.
    mpw_amherstxamax
  • Reply 18 of 48
    mpw_amherstmpw_amherst Posts: 563member
    tmay said:
    Yep. That means I'll probably get an iPhone 8 just before the new phones become available. TouchId is just much more convenient for me especially when out on the Motorcycle and wearing a full face crash helmet.
    Completely agree. Think I’ll upgrade to final Touch ID variants at next upgrade. Can’t help feeling Face ID is a bit like the G4 iMac. Jobs claimed they wouldn’t mount the drive vertically, hence the flower pot design. But as soon as they could we got the G5 and a form factor that largely survives to this day. Can’t help thinking Face ID is only because they couldn’t embed a fingerprint scanner into the screen. I do hope they revisit thus decision when the tech allows. 
    muthuk_vanalingamxamax
  • Reply 19 of 48
    tmay said:
    Completely agree. Think I’ll upgrade to final Touch ID variants at next upgrade. Can’t help feeling Face ID is a bit like the G4 iMac. Jobs claimed they wouldn’t mount the drive vertically, hence the flower pot design. But as soon as they could we got the G5 and a form factor that largely survives to this day. Can’t help thinking Face ID is only because they couldn’t embed a fingerprint scanner into the screen. I do hope they revisit thus decision when the tech allows. 
    You must new here. 

Apple has already stated that has been working on FaceID for five years. TouchID was a stopgap until they got FaceID right. And it’s unlikely that Apple, sitting on the about a quarter of a trillion in cash, and with the ability to buy or license any piece of tech without causing a hiccup in their balance sheet, would have a problem getting hold of tech (fingerprint sensor under the screen) that was demonstrated before FaceID was released. 

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2018/01/face-id-is-unstoppable/

Folk need to accept it: TouchID is not in Apple’s long-term future. Instead of waiting for Apple to “revisit the decision” they need to get with the program or move on. The iPhoneX is there top-selling phone so why would they go back?
    GeorgeBMacmike1macxpressnetmageStrangeDaysh2p
  • Reply 20 of 48
    tmay said:
    That’s fair enough. Apple never claimed to be making phones for everybody. 
    edited May 2018 mike1StrangeDays