Apple sets July compliance deadline for using iOS 11 SDK and iPhone X display in app updat...

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple on Monday told developers that as of July, any app updates they submit will have to be built using the iOS 11 SDK, and support the Super Retina display on the iPhone X.

iphonex-mapsbusiness

The company made the announcement through its official developer portal. Until now, a cutoff point for app updates had been expected, but not set in stone.

Newly submitted apps have had to use the latest iOS SDK and Super Retina support since April.

Apple regularly enforces SDK upgrades as a way of ensuring App Store titles remain compatible and secure. It has also become more aggressive about delisting broken and outdated apps, though the company usually offers developers a chance to fix the situation before scrubbing happens.

Super Retina support is liable to become extremely important this fall, since Apple is expected to ship not one but three new iPhones -- 5.8- and 6.5-inch OLED models, and a cheaper 6.1-inch LCD device. Since all of these will be bigger than the 5.5-inch iPhone 8 Plus, higher resolutions will be mandatory to maintain pixel density.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    olsols Posts: 50member
    Good one. What took them so long?
    libertyforall
  • Reply 2 of 8
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    This is good news .
    I hope the carriers in South East Asia are reading this.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    This is overdue!  :(
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Good.  I have one app in particular that I use fairly often that at first was missing part of it’s normally displayed area because the notch got in the way.  Their solution after a month or so was to just put black bars at the top and bottom.  I hope that gets rectified and they end up with a proper iPhone X app.

It has also become more aggressive about delisting broken and outdated apps, though the company usually offers developers a chance to fix the situation before scrubbing happens.
    I’m curious, how is it different if an app is delisted to get it back into the store compared to just resubmitting an app using the new SDK and having the proper compatibility as an update?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    This isn't dropping support of prior devices, correct?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,295member
    "Super Retina support is liable to become extremely important this fall, since Apple is expected to ship not one but three new iPhones" ... they were never going to ship one new iPhone in October. At minimum, they would have two. The current rumour is that the iPhone X will be discontinued outright and replaced with a larger "Plus" version, but that's speculative. It's not unlikely, but Apple could also go a different direction. I certainly hope they keep the X (as-is) around -- based on how well last year's iPhone 7 is still selling (... better than Samsung's newest flagship ...), I could see a strong reason to keep the iPhone X in the lineup. It's not actually a lot bigger than the iPhone SE, it's just all screen which makes it look bigger.

Apple could well be offering seven models of iPhone at this point next year: the "X Plus," the X, the "iPhone 9" and "9 Plus," and the the iPhone SE 2 -- with the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus still in production as the lower-end choices as the 7/7 Plus are currently.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    wandersowanderso Posts: 116member
    dysamoria said:
    This isn't dropping support of prior devices, correct?
    This is exactly what I want clarified as well. I have some Apple devices that are not compatible with the latest OS (iPad, iPhone 4s). There are great apps out there that I'd still like to be able install. 
  • Reply 8 of 8
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    Good!!