Video: Wishlist of features and fixes Apple could give the HomePod during WWDC 2018

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    nunzy said:
    Apple's genius is knowing which features NOT to include. Elegant simplicity has always been a major strength for their products.
    How would you define elegant simplicity in relation to this product?
  • Reply 22 of 39
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    Nice motion media guy! Stepping up the game on the videos, love it.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    nunzy said:
    Apple's genius is knowing which features NOT to include. Elegant simplicity has always been a major strength for their products.
    Yeah. I’m struggling to understand why I should ask HP to “look up a recipe”. From where? A random recipe found on the web? And then recite it back to me one step at a time? This would be odd since many or most times I need to know the full plan first and plan accordingly, so going one step at a time is slow and counterproductive. No, gimmicks aside, a screen is more useful for working with recipes.  
    edited May 2018 crossladAlex1N
  • Reply 24 of 39
    gatorguy said:
    crosslad said:
    I can’t understand why you want to get recipes on a device that doesn’t have a screen. Likewise what good are travel directions on a device that doesn’t leave your home. 
    At least on Assistant it will stop at each step allowing you to finish one before going to the next as you request it. You can also ask Assistant to repeat a step if/when you miss it. In reality it's not all that difficult to follow along and does help keep the batter off the cookbook altho I kinda like the well-worn look of ours. 
    Whose recipe does it recite? A random internet search result? Why is navigating a recipe via voice commands easier than glancing back at your screen, which is rendering the recipe of your specific sourcing (notes, a recipe app, a favorite website, etc)?

Sorry but this one is a silly non-feature feature. 
    edited May 2018 Alex1N
  • Reply 25 of 39
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    gatorguy said:
    crosslad said:
    I can’t understand why you want to get recipes on a device that doesn’t have a screen. Likewise what good are travel directions on a device that doesn’t leave your home. 
    At least on Assistant it will stop at each step allowing you to finish one before going to the next as you request it. You can also ask Assistant to repeat a step if/when you miss it. In reality it's not all that difficult to follow along and does help keep the batter off the cookbook altho I kinda like the well-worn look of ours. 
    Whose recipe does it recite? A random internet search result? Why is navigating a recipe via voice commands easier than glancing back at your screen, which is rendering the recipe of your specific sourcing (notes, a recipe app, a favorite website, etc)?

Silly unless your hands are covered in the ingredients.....
    I'm not touching my screen with hands that have been working with raw meat just so I can swipe up to the next part of the recipe. Stop, wash and dry doesn't take all that much longer tho I suppose and if you're not really into cooking all that much anyway I agree you won't find much benefit from a hands-free recipe. 
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 26 of 39
    robbyx said:
    If you think HomePod compares to Sonance, I’d say you’re the one who has no idea how good speakers sound.  As for Sonos, sure, they’re not high end and I haven’t compared HomePod to anything but my Play5, but to my ears Play5 produces a much more pleasant and balanced sound than the thump thump thump of HomePod with vocals floating so far above the mix that they sound disembodied.  I was interested in the convenience/simplicity of HomePod too but the sound quality just isn’t up to snuff. 
    I never said they compared equally to Sonance, I merely implied that Sonance isn't particularly high end in the audio world. Sure, the Sonance are almost certainly going to sound better to most people, but they also cost more. No surprise there at all, they are a very different type of product. 

edited May 2018 irelandwilliamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 27 of 39
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    crosslad said:
    For some simple recipes it's handy - cocktails or in my case, bread recipes i make often but forget the quantities. I usually just need the ingredient list. But an improvement would be the ability to tell your assistant to show it on, eg a phone or tv if you've lost track of things
    Why not just do it on your phone? It’s much easier than trying to remember a list spoken to you. 
    StrangeDaysAlex1N
  • Reply 28 of 39
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    gatorguy said:
    crosslad said:
    :)
    It is still bettter on a phone, using any of the assistants hands free. 
  • Reply 29 of 39
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 403member
    Personally I find the HomePod very engaging. From just about any position in the room you get wonderful sound. Cant say that for expensive direct radiator speakers whose sound drops off once you are out of the so called "sweet spot". I specifically find that vocal tracks are much easier to discern than with other speakers we own. Using ours in the master bathroom provides excellent sound as we move around prepping for the day. The limited Siri is not really an issue to us. We use HomePod to get music, weather, and maybe a news story or two. 
    Alex1N
  • Reply 30 of 39
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I’d just love Siri to have much improved voice recognition.

HomePod hardware is stunning, btw.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    George657 said:
    Stereo, Stereo ... Stereo ! !!
    It's already stereo...It has 8 speakers in it. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 32 of 39
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    crosslad said:

I'm not touching my screen with hands that have been working with raw meat just so I can swipe up to the next part of the recipe. Stop, wash and dry doesn't take all that much longer tho I suppose and if you're not really into cooking all that much anyway I agree you won't find much benefit from a hands-free recipe. 
    I'd rather just use an iPad so I can research what recipe I want instead of some random recipe and I can look at it full screen on a large screen. This is an area where a voice assistant isn't all that functional on any device (Apple or non-Apple). 
  • Reply 33 of 39
    macxpress said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    crosslad said:

I'd rather just use an iPad so I can research what recipe I want instead of some random recipe and I can look at it full screen on a large screen. This is an area where a voice assistant isn't all that functional on any device (Apple or non-Apple). 
    If I or my wife is doing the recipe with Google Assistant we already found the recipe we want and sent it to Google Home.  We aren't researching it any longer. You wouldn't be either.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 34 of 39
    CGCG Posts: 10unconfirmed, member
    Has anyone tried Direct Guest Access?  I asked the guy at the Apple store if the HomePod was usable without WIFI and was told no...  Granted it was the day they came out.  I had no idea I could Airplay without WIFI - not only to the HomePod but also my Apple TVs! I was confused as to why they would not have Bluetooth connectivity but now I see there is no reason to have it. 

• Reply 35 of 39
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    crosslad said:

What nonsense. Again, what recipe? You’re going to ask your digital assistant to find you a random recipe off the web and recite it to you while you blindly follow it, one step at a time? Bullshit. Nobody does this. It’s a made up use case. I cook very often and this is plainly nonsense. why?

- Part of cooking is sourcing the recipe. No on begins cooking with an unvetted, unread, unknown, random recipe

- Next a cook has to review the recipe, check it for ingredients, prepare the tools, and get a high level plan based on all needed steps 

- It takes no time to grab a towel if my hands are wet — if! Not common that my hands are covered in some sort of life altering goo that prevents me from touching my ipad or iphone. 

...so nice try trying to discredit my interest in cooking by pretending people interested in cooking would follow an unread, random recipe off the web one step at a time. No one cooks this way. Maybe it’s you who is the uninitiated.
    edited May 2018 williamlondon
  • Reply 36 of 39

gatorguy said:
    macxpress said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    crosslad said:

If I or my wife is doing the recipe with Google Assistant we already found the recipe we want and sent it to Google Home.  We aren't researching it any longer. You wouldn't be either.
    Right, because you used a screen. So since that recipe is already on the screen, it’s much easier to leave it there and set the ipad on the counter and glance at it when needed.

If you’re honestly telling me you then send it to you digital assistant and have it read it to you one step at a time, you must be a very slow, newbie cook. That’s a terribly inefficient way of cooking. Reading a list of items and executing them is faster than having them read to you one at a time.

This is the same nonsense argument that having the headlines read to you is faster than scanning the top headlines. 
    edited May 2018 williamlondon
  • Reply 37 of 39
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    crosslad said:

What nonsense. Again, what recipe? You’re going to ask your digital assistant to find you a random recipe off the web and recite it to you while you blindly follow it, one step at a time? Bullshit. Nobody does this. It’s a made up use case. I cook very often and this is plainly nonsense. why?

- Part of cooking is sourcing the recipe. No on begins cooking with an unvetted, unread, unknown, random recipe

- Next a cook has to review the recipe, check it for ingredients, prepare the tools, and get a high level plan based on all needed steps 

- It takes no time to grab a towel if my hands are wet — if! Not common that my hands are covered in some sort of life altering goo that prevents me from touching my ipad or iphone. 

...so nice try trying to discredit my interest in cooking by pretending people interested in cooking would follow an unread, random recipe off the web one step at a time. No one cooks this way. Maybe it’s you who is the uninitiated.
    You've not actually done any of this before have you? Nope, you have not...

Just like most folks and you I'll look at several recipes before settling on one. If I think it's beneficial to keep it at the ready (several steps or a special order of prep or simply a bad memory) I'll send it to Google Home. Then when I'm set to prepare the dish (or more often my wife doing so) Google Home is ready with the steps. One by one if I want.

Why would you be so adamant about the uselessness of something you obviously have no idea how to use and have never tried? Very silly of you IMHO, and very likely to just dismiss it out of hand since it "isn't Apple" with little actual consideration beyond that. That's hardly anything helpful. 

Here, I'll make it ridiculously easy for you to understand...

Now is this a keystone feature? Nope, useless for you apparently even if Siri offered it. We don't use it all the time either, but when we do it's almost always (except for one particular instance) been beneficial. For many of the other cooks among it has more value, but it's only one of several helpful little features that Google Home offers but Siri doesn't yet. My guess is until Apple does you'll continue to claim they're all useless features since Siri doesn't offer it. Then will come the epiphany.
    edited May 2018 apres587
  • Reply 38 of 39
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Recipes are a useless "feature". Google lovers will say anything.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 39 of 39
    nunzy said:
    Recipes are a useless "feature". Google lovers will say anything.
    LOL...
    Are you guys roomies?