Dell XPS 13 9370 vs. Apple's 13-inch MacBook Pro, the ultimate comparison

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 116
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    danvm said:
    You can manage numbers and stats to show different results.  But as a whole, Mac are still less than 10 percent of the whole market.  Last year 259.5 PC's were sold and 20M of them were Mac's.  
    Yes, that's what I'm saying, basically. 'Whole market' is kind of the tricky term. Do we really mean.... all computing devices, whether embedded controllers, servers, or on office desks or at home, etc. Or, do we mean, 'what is the typical computer user out there using'? If the latter, it's way higher than 10%.

It's kind of like the Android to iOS ratio. Are we counting in-use in a substantial smart-phone manner, or all the ones included in cereal boxes, sitting in sock drawers?
    cornchip
  • Reply 102 of 116
    columbuscolumbus Posts: 282member
    cropr said:
    I founded in 2012 a software development company and in the company we have both Macbook Pro (13" and 15") and Dell XPS (13" and 15") as standard machines for the developers, so I have a pretty good view on the pros and cons of both machines.   All Dell XPS 13" machines are Ubuntu pre-installed, Dell XPS 15" comes always pre-installed with Windows, but the first thing we do is to install Ubuntu on it.

[...]

The same applies for the OS.  MacOS is on some aspects better than Ubuntu, but on some others it is the opposite.  Most tools my developers use, run on both platforms. The Adobe Creative Cloud and Sketch are essential apps for my designers and are not available on Ubuntu, so my graphical artists have a Mac.  My developers agree that Dolphin, the KDE based file manager on Ubuntu is significantly better that Finder on macOS.  Maybe it is time Apple spend some time on Finder.   The cloud services we develop run on Ubuntu servers and here Ubuntu on the Dell XPS has an advantage. On a Mac we could use solutions like Vagrant, but this results in a performance hit. 

[...]

So is the price difference justified?  For graphical designers it is, for back end developers it isn't, for front end developers I am not sure.  And that's why I have both machines in my company.
    Very interesting perspective and thank you for sharing. I have reached similar conclusions - most development tools are fine, but as soon a you need to do prototyping and design and start working with graphics/video/typefaces (i.e. Sketch/Creative Suite/Pixelmator etc.) the options just aren't there on Linux (and to a lesser extend Windows). It is a shame because it is keeping Apple lazy with Mac.

Day to day I've been impressed with Ubuntu and for most software development far preferable to Windows.  Chrome OS will now support linux applications for developers so that may end up being a better option than Ubuntu.

• Reply 103 of 116
    Why on earth is ANYONE comparing an " Ultrabook" to a "Laptop" ? Especially to Apple's lowest end Laptop? Also, the choice of Apple laptops that has so few ports!? I have worked with these Dell " shiny" screened cool looking XPS laptops and they are complete garbage. If the battery needs to get replaced, Send it back to Dell because there's approx. 50 screws one need to remove to get the batteries replaced. Also, that " cool" shiny XPS screen is too prone to Window Glare! Imagine that! Sorry for my rant, but that's how annoying I find these garbage Dell laptops.
  • Reply 104 of 116
    From my own professional Desktop Support 2 experience in 500 -1000 employee companies, I have had STACKS of these Dell XPS 13s sitting on the shelf waiting to be shipped back to Dell just to replace the batteries that only lasted 1-2 years! The Dell XPS screen is another work of art! It is so glossy and shiny that it produces glare no matter how you angle it! In my professional opinion, comparing any Mac laptop to any Dell laptop there is NO competition from the Mac perspective. None whatsoever.
  • Reply 105 of 116
    waltgwaltg Posts: 90member
    Worked in IS for years and before a pc was even thought of. Grew with the windows machines and that was all I knew, like the author switched to Mac about 4 years ago, windows, whatever release while has a couple of things I still like cannot compete with the Apple OS period! Apple is based on the Unix OS and it is the only way an OS should be set up imho. Installing anything on a windows machine begins with intertwining it with the OS, where it does not on Mac or Unix, they keep the OS pristine! That is one reason why the Apple OS is so good and with the world class security they provide. No I have no desire to go back to a windows machine however many widget-gidget-gadget they say they have come out with. It is however unfortunate that all software doesn’t have a Mac OS equivalent which does cause issues now and then.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 106 of 116
    jumejume Posts: 209member
    I have bought the latest MBP 13'' with touch-bar pro with 16GB RAM. It's a great laptop just wish I had bought it without touch bar.

Touch bar is useless crap. Not only I do not use it at all. It interrupts with my work because you are accidentally touching it while typing, causing all sorts of unwanted actions. 

So my advice to everyone and to Apple - forget about the touch bar. It utterly sucks. 

Oh and yes make it thinner and lighter if possible.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 107 of 116
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,664member
    CgWerks,

US pricing for the MateBook X Pro that KITA mentioned further up just been announced.

I am very envious of these ultra competitive pricepoints and there is up to 300 dollar sweetener for some options.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2018/05/21/huawei-matebook-x-pro-notebook-arrives-in-us-with-a-shocking-price-tag/

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/5/21/17369914/huawei-matebook-x-pro-now-available-us-starting-1200

• Reply 108 of 116
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    avon b7 said:
    CgWerks,

US pricing for the MateBook X Pro that KITA mentioned further up just been announced.

I am very envious of these ultra competitive pricepoints and there is up to 300 dollar sweetener for some options.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2018/05/21/huawei-matebook-x-pro-notebook-arrives-in-us-with-a-shocking-price-tag/

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/5/21/17369914/huawei-matebook-x-pro-now-available-us-starting-1200
    I'm waiting to see what Apple does here in early June. I'm probably still going to stay within the Apple eco-system for another couple of years. But, what Apple does over the next year will be very telling about the future, IMO.
  • Reply 109 of 116
    cgWerks said:
    avon b7 said:
    CgWerks,

I'm waiting to see what Apple does here in early June. I'm probably still going to stay within the Apple eco-system for another couple of years. But, what Apple does over the next year will be very telling about the future, IMO.
    Yes, after posting, I realised I might have been confusing you with Lorin, (who had asked about an alternative to a MBP).
    cgWerks
  • Reply 110 of 116
    From my experience in the IT world for 15-18 years, I've had multiple PILES of these Dell "wanna-be" Macbook Air XPS 13's sitting on our rack with dead batteries! They only last 1-2 years before we have to ship them all back to Dell for a Tech to remove 50+ screws to swap out the batteries! Also, why are you comparing an 8th Gen" Ultrabook" to a 7TH Gen Laptop?
  • Reply 111 of 116
    From my experience in the IT world for 15-18 years, I've had multiple PILES of these Dell "wanna-be" Macbook Air XPS 13's sitting on our rack with dead batteries! They only last 1-2 years before we have to ship them all back to Dell for a Tech to remove 50+ screws to swap out the batteries! Also, why are you comparing an 8th Gen" Ultrabook" to a 7TH Gen Laptop?
    Are you suggesting AI wait for Apple to release an 8th gen i7 laptop before comparing with this Dell?

This review serves to compare the state of play as it stands today and evaluate what you are getting for your money. If you are tied to Apple, you will at least be able to see if what is available for the price is worth it or not. If you aren't tied to Apple for any specific reason, this kind of review is very useful.

As for ultrabooks vs laptops, perhaps the question should be how they got a laptop into an ultrabook?

The Matebook Pro X, i7 8th gen, 14" screen in a 13" frame, 16GB, 512GB SSD, discrete graphics and great battery life and spillproof keyboard is an absolute steal in the US with the 300 dollar voucher thrown in.

If I had that option open to me I'd jump on it. 

WWDC might bring something new but the bar is high.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 112 of 116
    jraserojrasero Posts: 3member
    Honestly if you are an Mac guy Apple already has you hooked and you are going to buy the MBP 13" unless you are willing to wait for the upcoming refresh. However if OS does not matter and you also consider value the Dell XPS is a clear winner. Some of the things the reviewer points out about the XPS are mute since for me webcam placement and audio/video quality doesn't matter since I never use them besides in Windows Hello. I agree that speed at this size especially when you don't have a dedicated graphics card is kind of like splitting hairs but as of now the XPS is so much faster that if you do any kind of multi core processing like video rendering the XPS is a no brainer. Also why keyboards are subjective there is no way you can like the Butterfly 2.0 switches over the XPS's since after owning a 2017 MBP 13" Non TB there were times many of my keys just wouldn't work and would need compressed air constantly blown at them to make them work again. Battery life wise the XPS 9370 FHD getting 13 hours is massive, since that is 3 more hours than the MBP 13. If you truly don't need that extra 3 hours Dell will gladly sell you a 4K touch panel that gets roughly 3 hours less than the FHD variant. Speaking about 4K, the UHD is touch which is something Apple doesn't offer, yeah they offer the Touch Bar but that thing is basically useless and is now Apple's biggest failure since Touch ID. Is a touch screen necessary in Windows? No but it is handy when laying in bed or playing Candy Crush. I truly love OSX but Apple has the audacity to sell a MBP 13" TB 3.5Ghz i7 Dual Core, 16GB, 512GB SSD for $2500 at no discount. Yes Dell sells a i7 8550U, 16GB, 512GB SSD, 4K HD touch screen for $2100 but that's $400 Less and Dell is constantly having sales, plus that same model through Costco is selling for $1399! So for $1100 less you can get a near top of the line XPS compared to MBP TB 13". I am sorry but unless you are tied to OSX, save that $1100!
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 113 of 116
    jraserojrasero Posts: 3member
    mbdrake76 said:
    rob53 said:
    Lost me when the article mentioned Dell. Could care less how a 4-year user of Macs thinks any Windows PC compares to a Mac. It doesn’t, no way, no how. 
    I pick whatever tool gets the job done regardless of whether it is a PC or a Mac. Happily switch between them. There's plenty of stuff that a Mac is absolutely brilliant at, and similarly for a Windows based PC. This mindset that X is far superior to Y and nothing else matter is absolute BS.
    I totally agree but I would also add my choice is heavily weighted on features/price. It seems Apple has become very complacent to just rake in their high margins without refreshing or innovating. On the other hand Windows has made huge strides in reliability, design, and options. The Surface lineup is very similarly priced to Apple's MBP but offers Pascal dedicated GPUs that blow the Radeon cards away, plus the Surface Books are built around a detachable tablet which is hugely innovative. Until Apple finally releases products worth their MSRP I am sticking to Windows
  • Reply 114 of 116
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    danvm said:

Last year 259.5 PC's were sold 
    Who bought half a PC?
  • Reply 115 of 116
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    crowley said:
    Who bought half a PC?
    Everyone who bought one; there were simply 519 sales.
  • Reply 116 of 116
    GeekinmakingGeekinmaking Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Hello Everyone,

Does anybody facing crackling speakers issue with dell xps 2 in 1 ? I recently bought new and it started crackling in between ( very mild and in between but still there and more with high volume and more applications and more on unplugged power cable). Otherwise i i really liked it and not sure now which one to buy as I am not able to find that screen quality and I prefer 2 in 1 which mac doesnt have. I replaced dell xps 3 times !! Finally gave up and returned it, all three laptops have exactly the same issue. I tried updating driver but no help. IT guy from store even not able to fix.