iPhone X tops smartphone charts in slumping European smartphone market

Comments

• Reply 21 of 69
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,109member
    Of course, this report is based off of the number of units sold, not profit made. Apple’s ASP went up a lot in the past year, so their sales numbers look a lot better in the way that matters most—the money they made by selling phones in Europe. 

That said, I would love to see a rule against posts that add nothing to the discussion other than criticizing other commenters for not sounding pro-Apple enough.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 22 of 69
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    elijahg said:

I think iPhones are still too expensive. Everyone I've spoken to about the X says it's way too expensive, and people already think the non-flagships are pretty steep. 
    That must be why the X outsells their cheaper models. 🙄
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 69
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,623member
    jbdragon said:
    avon b7 said:
    lkrupp said:
    avon b7 said:
    Apple's larger spread seems to be finding takers at every entry point. 25% went to SE, iPhone 6 and iPhone 6s. That's a lot of demand for cheaper options as well as the higher options. The larger spread may be paying off.

Huawei up over 30% and without including P20 series phones or next week's Honor 10 launch. They look good for the current quarter.

More worrying are the sharp drops in three of Apple's major European markets.
    You sound like you copied and pasted this from one of those analysts who were predicting Apple’s demise last quarter. Like them do you ever get tired of being wrong? I suppose not.
    Perhaps you interpret 'decline' differently to me. No new product till the end of the year. IPhone X sales dropping (quite logically) every quarter. That 25% of two year old phones propping up the bottom end but weighing negatively against iPhone X. Take a look at the report.
    Why do you assume there's no NEW products until the end of the year? Sometimes Apple announces new products at the WWDC. Updated iPad Pro's? AirPods 2? Something else? I expect iPhone sales to drop off as the year goes on. Why buy a new phone when a updated phone is coming out in a few months. The closer to a launch of a new phone, the more people will hold out if they can. This is nothing new as it happens every year. I plan to get the iPhone XI or whatever Apple calls it this year when the new phones launch upgrading what will be a 4 year old iPhone 6. I like to keep my cell phones for 4 years.

Apple doesn't care what people people buy so long as it's a iPhone. Apple makes even more money from people in the services area. Apple is doing just fine.
    This article is about phones.

On the subject of release cycles though, I have long argued against one release cycle per year and would love to see them break with that habit. In fact, there is still a possibility that they might release an SE this spring. That said however, the general trend is still one year and that's why I didn't assume otherwise.

On the other point you are right about the side effects of having one release cycle and that is what I pointed out earlier. 

You say Apple doesn't care about seeing phone sales drop off which is a valid enough point but by the same token you should be able to understand why competitors will be reporting potentially more growth over the next two quarters. Huawei releases one flagship per quarter.

This means they can get technology to market far faster than Apple. Case in point, the notch.

Also having a top selling model doesn't really mean much. Nor does having the highest ASP (for the consumer). On Monday I counted the different Huawei models at a MediaMarkt un Barcelona. There were 17. That kind of spread doesn't lead to top sellers but overall sales are millions up YoY while Apple's are flat.
  • Reply 24 of 69
    iSalmanPakiSalmanPak Posts: 58member
    nunzy said:
    Europeans are far too sophisticated to prefer Android. That is why so many of them buy iPhone.
    Most Europeans use Android phones.
    saltyzip
  • Reply 25 of 69
    Rayz2016 said:
    elijahg said:

I think iPhones are still too expensive. Everyone I've spoken to about the X says it's way too expensive, and people already think the non-flagships are pretty steep. 
    That must be why the X outsells their cheaper models. 🙄
    But as a group, it doesn't and you have only two quarters to base that statement on.

Q2 iPhone X sales were lower than Q1. Q3 sales will be lower than Q2. Do you doubt that?

Let's wait for a full year performance rating before reaching conclusions (unless you meant '... Is outselling' instead of 'outsells').

elijahg
  • Reply 26 of 69
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Used iPhone market is huge over here. I suspect that’s the only reason why Apple isn’t number one for new phone sales.
    edited May 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 69
    ireland said:
    I believe why X is apparently so popular is because many iPhone owners are upgrading to it from older iPhone, such as 5, 5s, 6 and 6s. And perhaps a number of Plus owners longed for a large screened iPhone in a smaller form factor. I will be interesting this year to see when all new iPhones are full screen devices and we see a slightly cheaper LCD model and a larger X Plus model how popular iPhone becomes relative to recent years. I suspect this year will be a popular iPhone year, eps. when those devices launch.

I'd also like to see a full screen SE-sized iPhone launch at some point. In addition to a somewhat updated home button style SE.
    This has been one of my doubts. I was open to the idea of a super-cycle. What if the super-cycle actually happened but just didn't register like the last one?

That is to say a lot of people actually upgraded from 5 and 6 series phones just as you suggest but few new users came to the platform.

TC highlighted the number of new users switching to Mac in the last earnings call but made no mention of any such switching for iPhone.

Seeing as they rarely give any details on the breakdown of either segment, I found the lack of mention on the possible new iPhone users a little strange. Especially as sales have been largely flat for the last three years.
  • Reply 28 of 69
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,694member
    avon b7 said:
    ireland said:
    I believe why X is apparently so popular is because many iPhone owners are upgrading to it from older iPhone, such as 5, 5s, 6 and 6s. And perhaps a number of Plus owners longed for a large screened iPhone in a smaller form factor. I will be interesting this year to see when all new iPhones are full screen devices and we see a slightly cheaper LCD model and a larger X Plus model how popular iPhone becomes relative to recent years. I suspect this year will be a popular iPhone year, eps. when those devices launch.

I'd also like to see a full screen SE-sized iPhone launch at some point. In addition to a somewhat updated home button style SE.
    This has been one of my doubts. I was open to the idea of a super-cycle. What if the super-cycle actually happened but just didn't register like the last one?

That is to say a lot of people actually upgraded from 5 and 6 series phones just as you suggest but few new users came to the platform.

TC highlighted the number of new users switching to Mac in the last earnings call but made no mention of any such switching for iPhone.

Seeing as they rarely give any details on the breakdown of either segment, I found the lack of mention on the possible new iPhone users a little strange. Especially as sales have been largely flat for the last three years.
    I'm still open to the idea of super-cycle for this Fall for 2 reasons: 1) 6.5" iPhone X Plus & 2) lower-price 6.1" LCD iPhone with FaceID
  • Reply 29 of 69
    avon b7 said:
    ireland said:

I'm still open to the idea of super-cycle for this Fall for 2 reasons: 1) 6.5" iPhone X Plus & 2) lower-price 6.1" LCD iPhone with FaceID
    Me too. After changing the battery in the wife's iPhone 6 last year, she will definitely be getting an iPhone this Christmas.

I think this year end is going to be the litmus test after three years of flat sales (assuming the biggest proportion of iPhone users upgrade after two or three years).
  • Reply 30 of 69
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    nunzy said:
    Europeans are far too sophisticated to prefer Android. That is why so many of them buy iPhone.
    iPhone make more profit.
  • Reply 31 of 69
    starxdstarxd Posts: 128member

Apple, according to its earnings last week, sold 52.2 million iPhones in the March quarter. Assuming Canalys is using the same three-month period, that means about one-tenth of the worldwide iPhone market was in Europe.
    Your math is way off.  10.2 million phones out of 52.2 million is almost 20%, not 10%.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 69
    Europe is turning into Londonistan.
    Does anyone know how to contact racerhomie3? His/her account appears to have been taken over by some mindless bot spouting rubbish
  • Reply 33 of 69
    nunzy said:
    nunzy said:
    iPhone make more profit.
    I don't think Europeans take into account how much profit is made by the handset maker when selecting a phone
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 34 of 69
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member

Not if they have any money to spend. Most prefer iPhone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 69
    feudalistfeudalist Posts: 53member
    Blunt said:

Germany, EU No. 1 country: iOS share - 15%

English speaking world prefers iPhone, rest (excluding Japan and some minor countries) Android.

• Reply 36 of 69
    feudalist said:
    Blunt said:

English speaking world prefers iPhone, rest (excluding Japan and some minor countries) Android.

Half of germany is quite poor. Cheap Androids all the way.

They don't prefer Android they have no choice so they buy cheap shit.
    edited May 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 69
    Blunt said:
    feudalist said:
    Blunt said:

Half of germany is quite poor. Cheap Androids all the way.

They don't prefer Android the have no choice so they buy cheap shit.
    https://www.androidcentral.com/p20-pro-already-huaweis-best-selling-flagship-western-europe

The estimates in the article do not include the P20 series phones.

• Reply 38 of 69
    avon b7 said:

2076 troll posts and counting…
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 69
    Blunt said:
    avon b7 said:

2076 troll posts and counting…
    You are saying European Android users mostly can't afford (or want) premium Android phones when this very AI article points to data that says 25% of European iPhone sales were SE, or 6 series phones.

25%

Then, when I present information that directly counters what you are claiming (and from just one manufacturer), your only response is 'troll'?

edited May 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 40 of 69
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member
    crowley said:
    tmay said:

crowley said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    Apple's larger spread seems to be finding takers at every entry point. 25% went to SE, iPhone 6 and iPhone 6s. That's a lot of demand for cheaper options as well as the higher options. The larger spread may be paying off.

Huawei up over 30% and without including P20 series phones or next week's Honor 10 launch. They look good for the current quarter.

More worrying are the sharp drops in three of Apple's major European markets.
    Yet the iPhone X was "the best-shipping smartphone in the region". Your concern troll is showing. Going to have another day of pushing FUD to make Huawei look good?
    Thinking a decrease of over 15% is a significant drop is hardly trolling.  It's big.

On the other hand, Russia is interesting.
    Gee, it would be a big deal if iPhone shipment decreased 15%, but it didn't happen. That was Samsung's decrease. Apple was only down 5% in sales, not even untypical for this quarter.
    Good point, I read the second chart incorrectly. You're incorrect too though, since the 5% is a year-on-year decline, not from the previous quarter.
    I am corrected!
    watto_cobra