Walmart subsidiary Jet.com now an Apple authorized reseller

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2018
The Walmart-owned e-commerce site and Amazon competitor now offers the full complement of Apple products.

Jet.com's new Apple authorized mini-site

The e-commerce site Jet.com revealed on its website Wednesday that it is now an authorized Apple reseller for the first time. The site now carries the iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch and Apple TV, as well as the HomePod, AirPods, Beats headphones and various cases and covers.

Jet.com has launched a new Apple section, and is offering bundles of up to $200 off.

It's unknown what the terms were of Jet's deal with Apple, but the deal gives Jet something its rival Amazon isn't able to offer: unrestricted sales of Apple products. Amazon sells only Macs and Apple TV directly and then even through third parties, and does not offer the iPhone, iPad or Apple Watch. Amazon, for a two-year period, did not sell any Apple products that directly competed with its own electronics offerings, but it backed off and began selling Apple TV again in late 2017.

Jet.com was founded in 2014 by Marc Lore, who sold his previous company Diapers.com to Amazon. Jet was acquired by Walmart for $3.3 billion in 2016.

A Jet.com e-commerce app is available in the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 403member
    Would be nice if the author had at least looked at what was being sold on Jet.com and at what terms. Just a hint of what a 200 buck bindle savings would have been nice.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I wonder if Apple will ever start requiring Apple resellers to use Apple Pay.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 3 of 20
    tgr1tgr1 Posts: 33member
    Soli said:
    I actually tried out Jet.com because it supposedly supported Apple Pay but it didn't work for me. Customer service was super friendly and super useless so I haven't tried again. Nonetheless I wish all web commerce sites would jump on. On other sites it works beautifully.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 4 of 20
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Amazon is a monopoly. Apple should cut them off entirely in favor of Jet.
    jony0
  • Reply 5 of 20
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    nunzy said:
    I didn't know Apple sold on Amazon??? Other than AppleTV. 
  • Reply 6 of 20
    nunzy said:
    Amazon has a monopoly? This is new to me. Would you mind explaining what you mean?
    jbdragonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Soli said:
    nunzy said:
    Amazon has a monopoly? This is new to me. Would you mind explaining what you mean?
    People have no clue what a monopoly actually means...
    SpamSandwichgatorguyjbdragonmuthuk_vanalingambeowulfschmidtredgeminipa
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Darn, they have the Series 1 Apple Watch for only $149... damn that’s tempting!
    jbdragon
  • Reply 9 of 20
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Soli said:
    nunzy said:
    I guess its because Amazon is extremely successful so its automatically a monopoly...maybe Apple is too in that respect. /s
    muthuk_vanalingambeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Darn, they have the Series 1 Apple Watch for only $149... damn that’s tempting!
    I haven't seen that price, but I have noticed that the Original/Series 0 Apple Watch is going for money than Series 1 on some online stores.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    macxpress said:
    Soli said:
    nunzy said:
    I guess its because Amazon is extremely successful so its automatically a monopoly...maybe Apple is too in that respect. /s
    That reminds of the ol' Psystar defense.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 12 of 20
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    jdgaz said:
    Would be nice if the author had at least looked at what was being sold on Jet.com and at what terms. Just a hint of what a 200 buck bindle savings would have been nice.
    B&H (etc.) have ads with AI, promoting Jet.com makes no sense.

I did click on a high end MacBook Pro.  It didn’t look like much of a deal and it was out of stock...
  • Reply 13 of 20
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,287member
    Soli said:
    nunzy said:
    So Amazon is not a monopoly in the usual sense but they engage in unfair competition.  Because they book little profit they pay very little federal corporate tax (13% in FY 2017) which is low by even the most tax avoidant corporations.

This allows them to destroy competitors, especially when they engage in price gouging...it started with bookstores and it is just going to keep going and going and going until only their areas of incompetency remain as leftovers.

And there is not a lot they are incompetent in.
    nunzy
  • Reply 14 of 20
    badmonk said:
    Soli said:
    nunzy said:
    So Amazon is not a monopoly in the usual sense but they engage in unfair competition.  Because they book little profit they pay very little federal corporate tax (13% in FY 2017) which is low by even the most tax avoidant corporations.

This allows them to destroy competitors, especially when they engage in price gouging...it started with bookstores and it is just going to keep going and going and going until only their areas of incompetency remain as leftovers.

1) A monopoly ≠ illegal.

2) WTF does "usual sense" even mean? Do they or don't they have an exclusive control over a commodity or service?

3) Having "little profit" ≠ unfair competition.

4) How exactly are they destroying competitors in a free market where they aren't a monopoly and, as you state, competitors have much lower prices because, as you claim, Amazon has such incredibly high prices that they are well beyond anything the market is willing to pay without there being extraordinary circumstances?

5) How is Amazon so unprofitable despite all this rampant "price gouging" that you claim? I often at Amazon because prices are lower than other outlets.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 15 of 20
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    badmonk said:
    Soli said:
    nunzy said:

All businesses (in fact, all taxpayers) attempt to pay as little taxes as possible, legally.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    I used Jet.com and never again. It's horrible. It should be simple but it isn't. Heck, even with that link pointing to that Apple section showing Macbooks, I clicked on "Shop" implying its taking me to MacBook but no, it took me to homepage.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    Soli said:
    No
  • Reply 18 of 20
    netrox said:
    I used Jet.com and never again. It's horrible. It should be simple but it isn't. Heck, even with that link pointing to that Apple section showing Macbooks, I clicked on "Shop" implying its taking me to MacBook but no, it took me to homepage.
    Link took me directly to the Apple section of jet.com
  • Reply 19 of 20
    badmonk said:
    Soli said:
    nunzy said:

Amazon is engaging in unfair competition by paying a low corporate tax rate?   mmmmmm okay.  
  • Reply 20 of 20
    freshh20freshh20 Posts: 20member
    Still will not save Apple from itself. To many failures, they just keep adding up.